Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 AM
    Posts
    28,682

    Changing your Thai wife's/ girlfriend's christian name.

    A mate of mine is moving his wife and family back to the UK for good.

    Everything is arranged but there is one sticky issue. His wifes name is Porn and as her real name is far too difficult to pronounce he has asked if she would consider being called some other English sounding name. She is also a very attractive, and if I might add voluptous lady and her name will certainly be a target for his mates witty comments at best.

    He is finding it difficult to convince her that her name may create some derisive comment and once they start their new life back in the old dart.

    Any ideas and or similar experiences as I have no idea how to advise him.

    My wifes name ia A and still we got some smartass comments back home last visit.

  2. #2
    My kind of town
    chitown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,520
    Screw everyone back home. I would not change a thing except maybe the spelling.
    I would not want to please anyone but themselves. Does she really want to change it?

    She cold spell it Pawn or Parn. Those are more phonetic spellings anyhow. I have not taken a Thai name and my wife would not be taking a farang either.

    So there you have it. My suggestions - Pawn or Parn.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    A mate of mine is moving his wife and family back to the UK for good.

    Everything is arranged but there is one sticky issue. His wifes name is Porn and as her real name is far too difficult to pronounce he has asked if she would consider being called some other English sounding name. She is also a very attractive, and if I might add voluptous lady and her name will certainly be a target for his mates witty comments at best.

    He is finding it difficult to convince her that her name may create some derisive comment and once they start their new life back in the old dart.

    Any ideas and or similar experiences as I have no idea how to advise him.

    My wifes name ia A and still we got some smartass comments back home last visit.

  3. #3
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    I note that most of the Asian people in Singapore and Malaysia (that I know) have adopted western christian names including Edward, John, Shirley, Jane etc and are happy to be called those names in their own country.
    They seem to think it is important and to be accepted.

    I don't necessarily agree either.

    But Porn or Nit etc I am not sure if she shouldn't consider a minor name change such as Pam.

  4. #4
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    What about Pon?

  5. #5
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Pon I don't know about that.

    Tell me Nick. What is the general public perception and when a bloke turns up back home in the UK with a Thai partner in tow.

    I realize things have probably improved these days but is it still perceived to be somewhat of a scandel amongst his friends and even relatives?

    I have a Thai wife and am proud and don't give a Fcuk if they don't approve of my mixed race marriage. I just feel that by introducing your Thai partner and using a more western sounding name may make it easier (for her) to be accepted.

    Not sure again what to advise my mate.

  6. #6
    The cold, wet one
    November Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-03-2015 @ 03:06 PM
    Location
    In my happy place
    Posts
    12,214
    Does she realise the meaning of her name in English? Does she want to change it?

    If yes, then you can legally adopt any name you wish in UK, just by calling yourself by that name. She shouldn't even need deed poll, because her documents will be in her real name - not her nik. Porn is simply a nick which she can change to anything she chooses. If she wants an anglicised name, how about Pam or Dawn? Both fairly similar in sound.

  7. #7
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    Pon I don't know about that. Tell me Nick. What is the general public perception and when a bloke turns up back home in the UK with a Thai partner in tow.
    Well, I just thought Pon wouldn't be much of a change, but enough that people wouldn't laugh.

    On the general public's perception I wouldn't know, but the main problem would be crappy ladyboy jokes rather than anything else.

    My wife's name is Tim, but I've never had any problems. Certainly not a scandal for the family, quite the opposite, my grandad was happy I didn't marry an English girl cos he thinks they're all disrespectful slappers.

    Do people speaks in hushed tones about this and that? Probably, but who gives a shit.

  8. #8
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 AM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,789
    what about Pam ?

  9. #9
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by November Rain View Post
    Does she realise the meaning of her name in English? Does she want to change it?

    If yes, then you can legally adopt any name you wish in UK, just by calling yourself by that name. She shouldn't even need deed poll, because her documents will be in her real name - not her nik. Porn is simply a nick which she can change to anything she chooses. If she wants an anglicised name, how about Pam or Dawn? Both fairly similar in sound.
    Thanks again NR for your astute advice.

    I think the bigger picture that must be considered is to help her fit in and whichever way and as fast as she can. Having people snigger and when you introduce her may set the foundation of shyness and possible loss of face for her.

    I don't know exactly how it is in the UK but when someone finds out your parther is Thai there are normally comments of bar girl or marriage of convenience scenarios.

    Again I feel, and by adopting a western name will help her new society except her more readily.

  10. #10
    My kind of town
    chitown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,520
    Quote Originally Posted by November Rain View Post
    Does she realise the meaning of her name in English? Does she want to change it?

    If yes, then you can legally adopt any name you wish in UK, just by calling yourself by that name. She shouldn't even need deed poll, because her documents will be in her real name - not her nik. Porn is simply a nick which she can change to anything she chooses. If she wants an anglicised name, how about Pam or Dawn? Both fairly similar in sound.
    NR. Porn is pronounced as Parn same as Dawn in Thai. Good idea. She can stay with Pawn.
    Last edited by chitown; 04-07-2008 at 09:34 PM.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    Porn is her nickname.

    Pick another. Pick two. They're free and they don't mean shit.

    Easier than finding a new TD nickname. You don't even need a second e-mail address.

  12. #12
    Bounced
    Frankenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Online
    13-10-2016 @ 10:42 AM
    Location
    The land of milking honeys
    Posts
    3,292
    I've always liked Edna.

  13. #13
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    I've always liked Edna.
    Thats my mum's name Frankie and how did you find out?. Not taking the piss are we?

    She loves her name also NOT

  14. #14
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    I think moreover not enough thought is taken and to prepare these girls for the new life awaiting them.

    Take them out of a village up country and stick them somewhere in Leeds or Bristol. Its gotta be such a culture shock for them and we as men take it for granted that they will automatically fit in.

    I am advising my mate to consider many aspects including a trial period regarding residency and see how it goes. His kids I don't believe will be a problem as they have western names anyway (and are quite young) but his missus may find it difficult to assimilate.

    I think Pam is a good call.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

  16. #16
    The cold, wet one
    November Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-03-2015 @ 03:06 PM
    Location
    In my happy place
    Posts
    12,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Texpat
    I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Isn't that what the lower half of TD is for?

  17. #17
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Texpat View Post
    I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Tex if I ever moved my family back to Oz I would only consider a location whereupon they could fit in and as close to the environment we live in Thailand.
    Wouldn't need to be on my Oz families door steps either.

    North Queensland coast and in the tropics and for example.

    Again the disasters I have heard about whereby blokes have moved their families back home and because they have not considered their overall personal needs.

    Mountain for some, molehill for others I suppose.

  18. #18
    Not an expat
    Fabian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Location
    Hamburg, cold dark Germany
    Posts
    5,381
    What do you mean "the lower half"? I thought that it's all about that?

  19. #19
    Not an expat
    Fabian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Location
    Hamburg, cold dark Germany
    Posts
    5,381
    A mate's wife is called ...porn with her real name. The biggest problem she has is that her e-mails always end up in spam.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    Hopefully, he will move to where a good job is and not fret about whether or not his wife will fit in with her funny name.

    I've done it three times with two different wives and never had so much as a hiccup. It's really much ado about nothing.

  21. #21
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Texpat
    I've done it three times with two different wives and never had so much as a hiccup.
    You sure?

  22. #22
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
    A mate's wife is called ...porn with her real name. The biggest problem she has is that her e-mails always end up in spam.
    Exactly.

    One of my favourite movies and along the same theme as this thread is "Guess whose coming to Dinner".

    Can you imagine Spencer Tracey's face if his daughter introduced Sidney Portier as Jeep or Nut or Big or Bell or Nit.

    There are still Spencer Tracey type of people out there unfortunately waiting to pick holes in your newly introduced Thai wife.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    ^^ You're right ... it was four times. To Indianapolis and Shreveport with wife #1; to Okinawa and Los Angeles with wife #2. The gamut -- Cornfield to Cajun country to Hollywood.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    I note that most of the Asian people in Singapore and Malaysia (that I know) have adopted western christian names including Edward, John, Shirley, Jane etc and are happy to be called those names in their own country.
    They seem to think it is important and to be accepted.

    I don't necessarily agree either.

    But Porn or Nit etc I am not sure if she shouldn't consider a minor name change such as Pam.
    I think those people in Singapoer and Malaysia are Chinese and it is normal practice for them to have Western names

    Porn is OK, as long as you are not in a public place

  25. #25
    Member
    Fast Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    12-04-2015 @ 12:28 AM
    Posts
    770
    In the case of the name 'Porn', i can totally understand his trepidations. It's just setting her up to be the butt of jokes. She should adopt a new Thai nickname or use an anglacised abbreviation of her first name if possible instead. I've met a few Thai women in the UK who use an English name that bears a resemblance to their real Thai name, e.g. Alisara becomes Alice, Sarawadee becomes Sarah etc.

    If my common nickname had laughable or offensive connotations in Thailand, i would personally be happy to use a common abbreviation of my surname instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •