Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1096
  1. #1001
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutree View Post
    Thailand beat Turkey 3-2 in a close fought match at the Womens Volleyball World Championship last night.
    The gf is really keen on it. She puts up with cricket and F1 and Premier League so I reckon some girlie games are fair enough. I know nothing about volleyball but I know a group of lively young women when I see one. It's about a million times more interesting to watch than golf.
    Most sport fans in Thailand follow this team. They play their hearts out. They are dedicated to winning and having fun. They seriously train all year and have put Thai men's sport on the back burner. A credit to the country.

  2. #1002
    Thailand Expat
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Posts
    5,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    You are too good for this place.
    ...But seriously, do you mean it?

  3. #1003
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Location
    Sanur
    Posts
    7,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogon View Post
    ...But seriously, do you mean it?
    Yes. I am not easily pleased. Crack on with it.

  4. #1004
    Thailand Expat
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    3,534
    I did my 90-Days report online this week. The website has been revamped since the demise of the pointless TM6. It was quicker to complete than the old version and I got an immediate acknowledgement followed by approval the next day. Ticked that box.

  5. #1005
    Done

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,355
    ^That is great news! Congrats!

    Two things happened this week I am happy about. Today I found out my best friend I had when I was teaching in Korea is moving to Canada. She currently lives in Michigan with her husband, but she is worried about gun violence in the schools because their daughter is in Elementary school. They are moving only five hours from me, and I hope to visit them next summer as I haven't seen them in nine years.

    A boy I used to sponsor in the Philippines to go to school has found me on fb and reached out to me. I haven't talked to him in six years, and he has recently graduated from college. He is turning 26 now. I am so proud of him and he thanks me so much for helping him get through school financially. I am able to see his life and reconnect with him.

  6. #1006
    Isle of discombobulation Joe 90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mai Arse
    Posts
    8,029
    Quote Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe View Post
    A boy I used to sponsor in the Philippines to go to school has found me on fb and reached out to me. I haven't talked to him in six years, and he has recently graduated from college. He is turning 26 now. I am so proud of him and he thanks me so much for helping him get through school financially. I am able to see his life and reconnect with him.
    Now that is a daily cheer to be proud of!!

  7. #1007
    Done

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe 90 View Post
    ow that is a daily cheer to be proud of!!
    Thanks.. well to be honest, I was weary at first that it was him, because you know there are so many scammers out there. I took my time and eventually figured it was him. His birthday was last week and he said he didn't have a lot of money to celebrate.. he grew up in a very poor area of the Phils. He didn't directly ask me for money, but I told him I would send him $50 to be able to enjoy his bday. He bought a bunch of food and cooked for his friends, and then I said you have to promise to send me pics. He sent me pics of the food he cooked and took a small vid of his friends gathering around wishing him a happy birthday and him in the vid as well.
    He is trying to get a visa for another country to work there. He got a visa to go to Japan, but he has to take a course in the language before he can go.

  8. #1008
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Location
    Sanur
    Posts
    7,289
    He’s not the only one who needs a language course. I’m almost tempted to be wary ​of that myself. lol

  9. #1009
    Thailand Expat
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Posts
    5,493
    ^^ That's nice of you.

    I wish I had a freind like you as I don't have much money, and my birthday is this Friday.

    I just check my SCB bank (account #495392830) and it does not look healthy.

  10. #1010
    Done

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,355
    ^lol..haha! Mine isn't that healthy either, but this kid (adult now I guess) means a lot to me. He used to write me letters by hand and made me a photo album of his life. He is also very grateful which is rare to find.

  11. #1011
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Posts
    5,247
    I'll be very grateful if you give me money.

  12. #1012
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    28,558
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWilly View Post
    I'll be very grateful if you give me money.
    Bogon did that gag six and a half hours ago.

  13. #1013
    Isle of discombobulation Joe 90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mai Arse
    Posts
    8,029
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Bogon did that gag six and a half hours ago.
    Yeah and got another reaction from you

  14. #1014
    Thailand Expat
    panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    33,355
    It's good, though, that cyrille is here to keep order on the forum.

  15. #1015
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    28,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe 90 View Post
    Yeah and got another reaction from you
    wtf are you on about, halfwit? It's 4 posts above yours.

    Guess it must be too much effort for you to scan 4 posts too.

  16. #1016
    Done

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWilly View Post
    I'll be very grateful if you give me money.
    He was grateful before the money... grateful to be able to go to school more than anything. Some people take it for granted. School isn't free for everyone.

  17. #1017
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe View Post
    He was grateful before the money... grateful to be able to go to school more than anything. Some people take it for granted. School isn't free for everyone.

    Actually, in the Philippines it is.

    The Educational Decree of 1863 provided a free public education system in the Philippines, managed by the government

  18. #1018
    Thailand Expat prawnograph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    11th Military Circle
    Posts
    2,010
    >
    yes and no

    We sponsor a girl through her schooling, while attendance may be 'free' the $ goes towards uniform, books etc. And in our case a bicycle to get her to school. Small money, but for an impoverished family, invaluable.

    Wouldn't like to add up the additional costs for daughter #2 here in year 12, always 'something' in addition to her term fees.

  19. #1019
    Done

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by prawnograph View Post
    We sponsor a girl through her schooling, while attendance may be 'free' the $ goes towards uniform, books etc. And in our case a bicycle to get her to school. Small money, but for an impoverished family, invaluable.
    Exactly! It isn't free in the sense that many aren't able to afford to go because they can't afford the books, uniforms and the means to get to school. Good for you! I've helped three students over the years and it is so nice to be able to keep in touch with one of them. One of the little girls died that I was sponsoring and was heartbreaking.

    Many of the families north of Manilla work in the fields and live in what look to be shacks to me. They can't afford to send their kids to school.
    I was paying about $20 a month, which helped a lot.. a little goes a long way as you said.

  20. #1020

  21. #1021
    Isle of discombobulation Joe 90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mai Arse
    Posts
    8,029
    You Sir William of Anus are a Cockwomble of monumental proportions.

  22. #1022
    Done

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,355
    ^lol.. as usual. I get it though, some of these agencies, you don't know if the money is really going where it should. For me, I know the lady who goes to the school as her father is the principal. She goes there a lot (lives in Korea) to the Phils to take toys, school supplies and take pics of the children. She knows the families, and picks the kids who need the help. She then does fundraisers to get sponsors which is where I met her. I know the money goes where it should. I'm thinking of starting up again. I stopped about four years ago as I had helped quite a bit. I more recently have some of my help going to rural schools and children in Thailand. I don't have kids myself, so I figure it is the least I can do.

  23. #1023
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe 90 View Post
    You Sir William of Anus are a Cockwomble of monumental proportions.
    Facts and evidence bother or just white knighting for the naive moose again.

  24. #1024
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe View Post
    ^lol.. as usual. I get it though, some of these agencies, you don't know if the money is really going where it should. For me, I know the lady who goes to the school as her father is the principal. She goes there a lot (lives in Korea) to the Phils to take toys, school supplies and take pics of the children. She knows the families, and picks the kids who need the help. She then does fundraisers to get sponsors which is where I met her. I know the money goes where it should. I'm thinking of starting up again. I stopped about four years ago as I had helped quite a bit. I more recently have some of my help going to rural schools and children in Thailand. I don't have kids myself, so I figure it is the least I can do.
    So a lady you met who lives in Korea and visits the Philippines a lot equals trusted charity?

  25. #1025
    Isle of discombobulation Joe 90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mai Arse
    Posts
    8,029
    You Sir William of Anus are a Cockwomble of monumental and epic proportions.

Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •