Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 590
  1. #51
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,371
    So, killing from hundreds / thousands of miles way by pushing a button.

    Glad the US doesn't use any of those 'cowardly' methods Trump decries like sacrificing your own life, eh?

  2. #52
    The Fool on the Hill bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    นนทบุรี
    Posts
    4,882
    Well, interesting scenario...

    Techno war, fought with predator drones, smart bombs, taking out dedicated "critical" targets. Iran purported (wikipedia) has an airforce of approximately 200 combat aircraft. About half of them are aged USA aircraft provided during the Shah's rein, prior to 1980. Questionably maintained due to Iran's inability to procure valid spare parts. Basically the Iran air force is outgunned in the air by two US aircraft carriers. One will be more than adequate.

    Cyber attacks. Lessons learned from 9/11. The New York stock exchange lost a ton and almost had massive problems due to the lack of an "adequate" back up plan. This has been rectified. Solid backups now exist. Also, the vulnerability of our power grids has been investigated, tested and retested. Could the safety, fire walls and back up contingency plans be compromised? Well, possibly. Would it impact a middle east war? Probably not.

    Biggest threat - mining the Suez. Contingency plans are in place. Interrupting the worlds oil supply ain't gonna happen. The con artists and stock folk will "chicken little" it to make a heap of money. But, the worlds energy profile has changed significantly and disruption should have minimal real impact.


    Misskitt - your nephew is an integral part of the safest most well trained military force in the world. They are fully trained, well tooled and prepared for the worst. God Speed for his safe return home.

  3. #53
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    19-02-2020 @ 12:08 AM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    18,854
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    He is in the Army,
    He joins the "army" he becomes a target. Same as the Iranian No. 1.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

  4. #54
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    30,712
    ^You get the award for stating the obvious, OhOh.

  5. #55
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,129
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    He joins the "army" he becomes a target. Same as the Iranian No. 1.
    There's a difference.

  6. #56
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Posts
    19,759
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Well, interesting scenario...

    Techno war, fought with predator drones, smart bombs, taking out dedicated "critical" targets. Iran purported (wikipedia) has an airforce of approximately 200 combat aircraft. About half of them are aged USA aircraft provided during the Shah's rein, prior to 1980. Questionably maintained due to Iran's inability to procure valid spare parts. Basically the Iran air force is outgunned in the air by two US aircraft carriers. One will be more than adequate.

    Cyber attacks. Lessons learned from 9/11. The New York stock exchange lost a ton and almost had massive problems due to the lack of an "adequate" back up plan. This has been rectified. Solid backups now exist. Also, the vulnerability of our power grids has been investigated, tested and retested. Could the safety, fire walls and back up contingency plans be compromised? Well, possibly. Would it impact a middle east war? Probably not.

    Biggest threat - mining the Suez. Contingency plans are in place. Interrupting the worlds oil supply ain't gonna happen. The con artists and stock folk will "chicken little" it to make a heap of money. But, the worlds energy profile has changed significantly and disruption should have minimal real impact.


    Misskitt - your nephew is an integral part of the safest most well trained military force in the world. They are fully trained, well tooled and prepared for the worst. God Speed for his safe return home.
    This post is exactly why Americans are stereotyped as idiots.

  7. #57
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,567
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    One will be more than adequate.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    This has been rectified. Solid backups now exist. Also, the vulnerability of our power grids has been investigated, tested and retested.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    disruption should have minimal real impact.

    "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face."

    - mike tyson

  8. #58
    Thailand Expat
    NamPikToot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Should be jailed for life.. do not pass go...
    Posts
    9,000
    Reach, its great that you've got so much inside oil on this subject though. Like you've read up or know something we don't..bit like Syb your mate who is so well informed on how Brexit is going to pan out, cept you both have no clue, accuse other posters of being uninformed but you know all there is to know ...coz you were Arjan formun members.

    woof woof


  9. #59
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:18 AM
    Posts
    63,483
    I wonder if splattering the Quds chief all over the desert will convince Iran to behave?

  10. #60
    Thailand Expat
    NamPikToot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Should be jailed for life.. do not pass go...
    Posts
    9,000
    Ask Reach he knows...all..he a political and military insider

  11. #61
    Cenosillicaphobiac
    Plan B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Location
    Under a bridge
    Posts
    4,327
    Missiles > Words

    Would have thought they'd teach that at Iranian General school.


    -pokethebear-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -pokethebear-jpg  
    “The future is already here—it’s just unevenly distributed.” - William Gibson

  12. #62
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    9,818
    Analysis

    Qassem Soleimani, top Iranian commander killed in US strikes, was a hero to many and one of the region's most potent figures


    -11840042-16x9-700x394-jpg

    The death of Major General Qassem Soleimani is a watershed moment, even in the long and bloody history of Middle East conflict.

    Key points:
    • The US says Soleimani and his Quds Force were "responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members"
    • Soleimani led Iran's overseas actions in the last couple of decades
    • Killing him will take US tensions with Iran to a dangerous new level


    The head of the elite Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, he has long been seen by Israel and the United States as one of the most dangerous and potent figures in the region.

    Qassem Soleimani had the backing of Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was a veteran of the Iran-Iraq war of the 1980s, and a hero to many Shiite Muslims.

    However, he was also popular or at least respected in many quarters of the Middle East.
    In a region where inept, corrupt or hypocritical leaders abound, he was seen by his supporters as charismatic and, most importantly, effective.

    He was responsible for running foreign military actions, coordinating a network of political and military advisers, militias and terrorist groups which have delivered Iran a decisive role stretching from the Persian Gulf to the Mediterranean Sea.

    https://tinyurl.com/wcg22vf

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -11840042-16x9-700x394-jpg  
    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

  13. #63
    Thailand Expat
    Latindancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    12,188
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post

    He was responsible for running foreign military actions, coordinating a network of political and military advisers, militias and terrorist groups
    Live by the sword.....

  14. #64
    Thailand Expat HermantheGerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:04 PM
    Location
    Germany/Satthahip
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey View Post
    if another country killed the US secretary of defense with a drone fired missile, the US would swiftly declare war...and i'm not just referring to the president acting unilaterally....i'm saying that congress would authorize it in a bipartisan vote....and the US public by and large would support it.
    The problem is...I'am not disagreeing with you. You are absolutely right.
    But Mr. Salami should have seen it coming. Salami declared WAR on Israel! In 2019 nearly 1300 rockets got fired at Israel.
    Did that Rag Head realy think he can get away with that ?
    I have to praise Israel and the U.S. for staying calm for such a long time.

    (Salami Commander of ) Quds Forces means what ?

  15. #65
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:18 AM
    Posts
    63,483
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    However, he was also feared and loathed in all but a few tiny pockets of his fellow Shi'a wankers outside Iran
    FTFY.

  16. #66
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    9,818
    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

  17. #67
    Thailand Expat
    Latindancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    12,188
    A very well-delivered, articulate speech !

  18. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    23-02-2020 @ 07:42 PM
    Posts
    603
    Thanks for posting that video David.
    It gives me hope that the guy is not really an idiot.
    That's the first time I have heard him in front of a microphone and he doesn't continually pump Himself up.
    He usually only talks about himself.

  19. #69
    I'm in Jail

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    17-02-2020 @ 07:16 PM
    Posts
    26,724
    The Donald done good and his next top move will be ordering a nuke strike on reachy and bum boy Snubby.

    4 more years fukers.

  20. #70
    Head Skivvie Stacker Storekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PACNORWEST
    Posts
    11,079
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    My Mate The Donald is da man eh .

    The only Head fuko who has the balls to do good eh.
    Even a broken clock gets it right twice a day.

    Trump is a dove ... somebody talked him into it. Maybe Kushner..

  21. #71
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    The US will win the conventional battle. It always does. Tehran will fall within days the same as Baghdad. The vacuum that will follow will cause a death spiral no thinking person could want.
    I think you underestimate Iran.

  22. #72
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey View Post
    "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face."

    - mike tyson
    A paraphrase of Sun Tzu.

  23. #73
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    11,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper View Post
    Even a broken clock gets it right twice a day.

    Trump is a dove ... somebody talked him into it. Maybe Kushner..
    The thought that this cartoon character sock-puppet actually makes decisions by himself is pretty laughable.

  24. #74
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Posts
    19,759
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    I think you underestimate Iran.
    Nope. The Iranians are no good at conventional warfare. They were completely incompetent in the Iran/Iraq war and employed tactics such as wave attacks on fortified positions. Archaic at best. They ceded territory to the Iraqis and spent most of that war trying and failing to capture it back at the expense of massive casualties.

    Make no mistake the conventional part of the war will end quickly. As quickly as the war in Iraq did. No conventional force on the planet can withstand the combined arms of the US military.

    Like I said it will be after that that the real nightmare will begin and it will be a huge shit sandwich.

  25. #75
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,129
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Make no mistake the conventional part of the war will end quickly. As quickly as the war in Iraq did. No conventional force on the planet can withstand the combined arms of the US military.
    I agree and that is why I think Iran will not retaliate to this latest incident. Time will tell.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •