1. #15476
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    Posts
    12,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    If Keir Starmer was made leader, bringing the Labour Party back toward centre politics, there's a damn good chance Labour would win a GE. Libs might even form a coalition with Labour if the need arises.

    Boris could beat the 119 day record for shortest serving PM. That would make my day...
    Poor self loathing Brit.

  2. #15477
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,558
    ^ Self loathing? I'd have to be a Brexiteer to be that you dummy.

  3. #15478
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Posts
    14,525
    Tony Blair is silly, GE is not going to solve anything anyway, and Labor is completly irrelevant and ineffective as it stands now, so who cares if they loose it all, they are not accomplishing anything anyhow

    a confortable win for the Tories will not the remove the majority of remainers in Westminster, au contraire, it might increase it

    what a fooking mindfuck

  4. #15479
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,491
    BoJo making a statement in five minutes.



    Do try and watch carefully, df. Your cluelessness is embarrassing.

  5. #15480
    Thailand Expat
    Takeovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    6,014
    Whatever else happens. I do hope the EU is fed up and will not grant any more extension for brexit. So by end of October it would be brexit or take back the exit letter.

  6. #15481
    Bag of shite
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,876
    If the remainers Tory MPs try to stop Brexit then Boris will have them replaced in a snap GE.

    The Brexit train has finally gained momentum and nothing will derail it now

    As for that traitor Phony Bliar, he has no credibility in the UK after his years of lies and deciet.

  7. #15482
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,558
    That was a weak speech from Bo-Jo. He must have had a hard time with the Tory rebels earlier. Another delay won't help, it will be that or a GE announce by the end of the week.

    ...or will he put the deal back on the table as is?

  8. #15483
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    Posts
    12,241
    What is stupid about Labours bill in trying to force Boris to ask for a 3 month extension to January 31 is it's pointless as it is the EU who will decide on any extension and for how long. But this could play into Boris hands as he asks for a 3 month extension which he is legally obliged to do then the EU says it will offer a 1 year extension he says no and we leave with no deal.

  9. #15484
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,558
    ^ You need to read the motion again. Any longer extension must be agreed within 2 days subject to parliamentary approval.

  10. #15485
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    Posts
    12,241
    Seems I should have read the bill in full before commenting so ignore previous post as it says the EU will determine the length of extension and the PM must accept it. So General Election then if this bill passes which it seems in all likelihood it will with about 20 remain Tories saying they will support it.

  11. #15486
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    Posts
    12,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    ^ You need to read the motion again. Any longer extension must be agreed within 2 days subject to parliamentary approval.
    It's a bill proposed by Hillary Benn and I have now read it in full, suggest you do the same.

  12. #15487
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Posts
    14,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeovers View Post
    Whatever else happens. I do hope the EU is fed up and will not grant any more extension for brexit. So by end of October it would be brexit or take back the exit letter.
    they are fed up, but Merkel is lobbying for an extension, and will probably get it automatically

  13. #15488
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Posts
    14,525
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    What is stupid about Labours bill in trying to force Boris to ask for a 3 month extension to January 31 is it's pointless as it is the EU who will decide on any extension and for how long. But this could play into Boris hands as he asks for a 3 month extension which he is legally obliged to do then the EU says it will offer a 1 year extension he says no and we leave with no deal.
    I was thinking more like 2 years or 18 months, Merkel is happy with the longer extension, and Macron has no support left to support immediate Brexit, which would need a vote by the EU27 to be legal

  14. #15489
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Posts
    14,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    ^ You need to read the motion again. Any longer extension must be agreed within 2 days subject to parliamentary approval.
    that's not what happened last time, the EU27 decided of the extension length, not the UK or the PM

  15. #15490
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Posts
    14,525
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    So General Election then if this bill passes which it seems in all likelihood it will with about 20 remain Tories saying they will support it.
    and no hard Brexit on Oct 31, as I told you so

    2YR EXTENSION and then next stop, REVOKE

  16. #15491
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    Posts
    12,241
    Lets see what happens tomorrow as if there is a GE on Oct 14 that is still before the European council meeting and when we are due to leave on Oct 31 so any laws passed this week can still be superseded by new laws when a new government is formed. If Boris calls a GE and Labour votes against it as it needs 2/3 of parliament to agree a GE fuck knows what will happen but seeing as Corbyn has been calling for a GE an unlikely yet totally plausible situation in these fucked up days then no GE. Remain vote is going to be split in a GE and Boris really needs to do a pact with Farage leading to a massive majority. The election is going to be people against the brexit blocking politicians and remainers marching on the palace slagging off Lizzy at the weekend wont have done their cause any favours as the footage is guaranteed to be used to show what you will get with Corbyn.

  17. #15492
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,558
    Those not wishing a no-deal Brexit will do what is best for the country. If this bill is passed and a GE might jeopardise it, then the 2/3 majority is unlikely.

  18. #15493
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    18,939
    So there's a possibility of parliament telling BJ what to do, BJ saying no so let's have an election, MPs not voting for an election, then we'll have a PM who is not willing to do what MPs tell him but he cannot have an election for the people to decide. What happens next? Stalemate. That would be a real crisis.

    Perhaps JRM has an idea of what to do if it comes to that situation. PM sits in his office all day and refuses to come out?
    Nev has style

  19. #15494
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Location
    Sumatra
    Posts
    4,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    If Keir Starmer was made leader, bringing the Labour Party back toward centre politics, there's a damn good chance Labour would win a GE. Libs might even form a coalition with Labour if the need arises.

    Boris could beat the 119 day record for shortest serving PM. That would make my day...
    Thats right. IF.

  20. #15495
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    9,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    So there's a possibility of parliament telling BJ what to do, BJ saying no so let's have an election, MPs not voting for an election, then we'll have a PM who is not willing to do what MPs tell him but he cannot have an election for the people to decide.
    The ERG clique decides what BJ should do, JRM is his puppet-master.

  21. #15496
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    So there's a possibility of parliament telling BJ what to do, BJ saying no so let's have an election, MPs not voting for an election, then we'll have a PM who is not willing to do what MPs tell him but he cannot have an election for the people to decide. What happens next? Stalemate. That would be a real crisis.

    Perhaps JRM has an idea of what to do if it comes to that situation. PM sits in his office all day and refuses to come out?
    Basically Nev, it's parliament v the people (well, the majority, quite a small majority, of the people).

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Those not wishing a no-deal Brexit will do what is best for the country. If this bill is passed and a GE might jeopardise it, then the 2/3 majority is unlikely.
    That first sentence is very dishonest, imho.

    Nobody knows "what's best for the country" - but, what we do know is that many parliamentarians do not respect the wishes of the majority of the people; and, they are not willing to put it to the vote either in a GE... It has already been put to a referendum, and the people made their choice.

    If you are following the logic/arguments of people like Tony Blair and Alistair Cambell then surely you must realize that you're on the wrong side of history and decency and democracy and the list goes on..
    How do I post these pictures???

  22. #15497
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Posts
    14,525
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Lets see what happens tomorrow as if there is a GE on Oct 14 that is still before the European council meeting and when we are due to leave on Oct 31 so any laws passed this week can still be superseded by new laws when a new government is formed. If Boris calls a GE and Labour votes against it as it needs 2/3 of parliament to agree a GE fuck knows what will happen but seeing as Corbyn has been calling for a GE an unlikely yet totally plausible situation in these fucked up days then no GE. Remain vote is going to be split in a GE and Boris really needs to do a pact with Farage leading to a massive majority. The election is going to be people against the brexit blocking politicians and remainers marching on the palace slagging off Lizzy at the weekend wont have done their cause any favours as the footage is guaranteed to be used to show what you will get with Corbyn.
    GE is only going to bring a divided parliament, Corbyn should campaign for a REF2 after the GE

    we need to know what the British people think at this stage, question will be simple

    1. LEAVE NOW (AKA FULL EMBARGO)
    2. TAKE CURRENT DEAL (AKA SOFT REMAIN)

  23. #15498
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Posts
    14,525
    I guess Merkel was right in some ways in the last extension debate, she wanted to give 2 years, but Macron wanted now, and he got 6 months instead

    we can blame Macron for the short deadline and forcing the UK to make all those hard choices in so little time

    it's all Macron fault

  24. #15499
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,695
    ^ the EU will offer extensions forever. Their position always was and always will be to frustrate the referendum result until the people give up and Britain remain.

    France probably want us out, but don't have the balls or the power to do so...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    GE is only going to bring a divided parliament, Corbyn should campaign for a REF2 after the GE

    we need to know what the British people think at this stage, question will be simple

    1. LEAVE NOW (AKA FULL EMBARGO)
    2. TAKE CURRENT DEAL (AKA SOFT REMAIN)
    Both Starmer and the LibDem nutter have categorically refused to offer that choice - they know that leave now would win in that binary choice. The only second referendum the remoaners will offer is one that splits the leave vote between several options and gels the stay vote behind one option.

    None on the remoaner side want a second referendum, they want to remain via any route - and their idea of a "people's vote" is one where the options are May's Deal or soft remain or total remain.

  25. #15500
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Posts
    14,525
    I think Brexiteers are against REF2 more than remainers, and I suspect SOFT REMAIN would win in a REF2

    since the backstop is a none issue, a pretense to reject the whole thing and go for remain or hard brexit by the 2 sides respectively, a REF2 would certainly be the right way to do it, but it's not going to happen

    GE will not solve a thing, and Boris plan, if he is not bluffing, would have the merit to be clear and suicidal

Page 620 of 752 FirstFirst ... 120520570610612613614615616617618619620621622623624625626627628630670720 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •