Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    ^
    Fok that!
    What you need to do Bob is refrain from being such a politically-correct douchebag and go for the $100K! With all your insight & superior intellect, we're sure you'll pull it off...with the 'peer-reviewed sources' of course...heh
    Last edited by Boon Mee; 15-09-2007 at 02:24 AM.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    ^
    Fok that!
    What you need to do Bob is refrain from being such a politically-correct douchebag and go for the $100K! With all your insight & superior intellect, we're sure you'll pull it off...with the 'peer reviewed sources' of course...heh
    Had a feeling you'd say something like that

I am in Jail

Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 05:37 PM
    The Great Global Warming Debate Awards Ceremony

Boon Mee

Dr Bob

Gerontion

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    ^Cheers Dick. By the way, we're having a little soiree and a reading of my new novel at the Groucho next week. It's a roman-a-clef about a bisexual global- warming activist who lives in Soho and moonlights as a stockbroker. He decides to join the BNP but on his way to his first synagogue burning he sees a broken blossom on the ground and is overcome by ennui, the last 700 pages of the book are a heart-rending soliloquy on the difficulties of living in the west-end on less than 5,000 pounds a week. It doesn't use the letter e or commas because I consider them working-class affectations. Do come, Will and Salman will be there as will Camilla and Raoul - I know they miss you terribly.
    The Above Post May Contain Strong Language, Flashing Lights, or Violent Scenes.

Last Online
    ^
    That novel sounds like a sure-fire #1 bestseller, Bob! You must post some 'teaser' portions on TD. It's been too long since we've experienced any 'ennui' around here!

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Just my sort of event.
    Plenty of booze and veggie food to feed the unwashed avantgarde artists who'll turn up, I suppose?
    And a girlie bar or two to go to after hours?

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    And a girlie bar or two to go to after hours?
    Too low-brow for that crowd...

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    The Groucho Club
    The Groucho is shorthand for " somewhere to get drunk and behave badly in front of London's most influential people". The original and arguably still the best private members' club in London, it was opened in 1985 by a group of publishers who were sick of the city's "gentlemen's clubs" which refused to accept women as members. If you'd like to be a member, you've got to get one of them to propose you to the committee. Membership costs £600.
    Drinks: Will not reveal prices...
    45 Dean Street, W1 (020 7439 4685, thegrouchoclub.com)

Last Online
    Here's another way to win that $100K, Bob. Just have to deal with Martin Sheen's horrible fixed stare.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 05:37 PM
    ^

I got as far as it said 'continue reading' & knocked it on the head.

That stare a tad disturbing, to say to the least.

Last Online
    09-10-2007 @ 06:05 AM

"Desertification, climate change combine to threaten development", says UNSG

Desertification, climate change combine to threaten development

Link

12 September 2007 – The linked scourges of desertification and climate change are impeding the achievement of key development targets, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today.

The “twin threats” of desertification and climate change “pose unrivalled challenges to humanity,” he said in a message to the Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) in running from 3-14 September in Madrid. “They demand an unprecedented response from all of us.”
    Desertification and climate change, which he characterized as “two major manifestations of the same problem,” also are obstacles to reaching the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), the series of eight anti-poverty targets, by 2015.
    Greenhouse gas emissions from human activities have contributed to global warming, he noted, while shifting weather patterns could potentially aggravate desertification, drought and food security for people living in dry areas, especially in Africa. The Secretary-General said that global warming can also lead to increased poverty, forced migration and vulnerability to conflict in regions impacted by extreme weather events.
    "Mistakes were made"....

Last Online
    09-10-2007 @ 06:05 AM

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Announces High-Level Event on Climate Change for G.A.

There is going to be a major,high level, but informal dialogue on climate change that will be scheduled at the UN next week during the General Assembly Debate session, on September 24. This is going to set the stage for the for the upcoming major December Climate summit , the Conference of the Parties of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change which will meet in Bali, Indonesia. Governments will have a unique opportunity to build common ground to fight climate change.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Announces High-Level Event on Climate Change for September

Link

"United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced that he will convene an informal high-level event in New York on the margins of the General Assembly on 24 September to promote discussion on possible ways to move the international community toward negotiations on new global agreement on climate change at the upcoming United Nations climate change conference in Bali in December.

The Secretary-General hopes that world leaders will send a powerful political signal to the negotiations in Bali that "business as usual" will not do and that they are ready to work jointly with others towards a comprehensive multilateral framework for action on climate change for the period after 2012.

The Secretary-General informed Permanent Representatives and Permanent Observers to the United Nations of the event, which will be informal and will seek to reaffirm the importance of addressing climate change in a global forum and provide an opportunity to involve all countries in the multilateral process. The high-level event would not seek to engage Governments in negotiations on the outcomes in Bali nor seek a negotiated outcome.

The Secretary-General has repeatedly stated that climate change is a major global challenge and he intends to take a leadership role in helping the international community address the problem. As the only global forum, the United Nations is uniquely positioned to forge a common approach to combating climate change. He has stated that all countries are experiencing it, all countries are becoming more conscious of the need to address this issue and the time for action is now. "

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    fuk, it is hot here

Last Online
    "On July 9, 1971, the Post published a story headlined "U.S. Scientist Sees New Ice Age Coming." It told of a prediction by NASA and Columbia University scientist S.I. Rasool. The culprit: man's use of fossil fuels.

The Post reported that Rasool, writing in Science, argued that in "the next 50 years" fine dust that humans discharge into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuel will screen out so much of the sun's rays that the Earth's average temperature could fall by six degrees.

Sustained emissions over five to 10 years, Rasool claimed, "could be sufficient to trigger an ice age."

Heh...Gore & his lemmings - an inconvienent hypocrisy or what...
    Last edited by Boon Mee; 24-09-2007 at 01:23 PM.
    A Deplorable Bitter Clinger

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    fuk, it is hot here
    Inverness?

Last Online

Gore Dodges Repeated Calls to Debate Global Warming

"As over 150 heads of state and government gather at UN headquarters in New York to discuss climate change, former Vice President Al Gore, the most prominent proponent of the theory of the human-induced, catastrophic global warming, continues to refuse repeated challenges to debate the issue."

The bloom has gone off the rose w/respect to Gore's credibility...heh

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    11-12-2013 @ 11:30 AM
    If you want to see him you have to rent the movie.

Mea-Culpa
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 03:57 AM
    ^^ All there meetings and talks wont lead anywhere, there economy growth comes before anything else. The only thing happening is empty promises, and donation to WWF or another enviromental foundation, and then back to business as normal.
    Greed and hunger for power, will bring mankind back to the stone-age.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    ^^ All there meetings and talks wont lead anywhere, there economy growth comes before anything else. The only thing happening is empty promises, and donation to WWF or another enviromental foundation, and then back to business as normal.
    Actually, I expect an astroid to do the job first...

RIP
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Hell, The last ice age ended only 14k years ago and glacial remanants existing as late as 7k years ago and there were people living in North American at that time, and the normal extension and retraction of the polar ice caps indicates that 20k years from now we might expect another incursion as far south as New York, Iowa and spots in between.

The first great ice age was about 700 mil years ago, but the 2 that we know about started about 2 mil years ago and their extents and characteristics are well defined at about 100k years, 40k years and 20k years ago, but I really do not think there is anything we can do about it and I doubt that we will be here to see it happen again.

Mea-Culpa
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 03:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Actually, I expect an astroid to do the job first...
    Then it better hurry up, there aint that much time left..

Better get Bruce and the bore-drillers ready....

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread Information