Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Member
    Silent Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    06-03-2021 @ 01:14 PM
    Location
    online
    Posts
    301

    Question Internet panic in the village

    Seems like we will stay 2-3 months in the village, so I'm starting to panic whenever I think about how I can stay connected to the internet.

    The village is in the South and there are no phone cables. All communication is done using cell phones.

    Any recommendations on how I can connect to the internet while staying there?

    I need to be online several hours a day (so I can work...) - and it will of course be nice if the connection speed isn't horrible slow.

  2. #2
    Excommunicated baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:29 PM
    Posts
    23,529
    check out hutch and CAT CDMA coverage - that is probably the fastest mobile access

    if no joy with that you will have to fall back to EDGE , but if your local tower does not support it you will be crawling via GPRS

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,144
    Does the village have a full 1 2 call signal?

  4. #4
    Days Work Done!
    Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    31,913
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    hutch and CAT CDMA coverage
    Yep. The best you can do. 3.1mbps. CAT Telecom covers North/Northeast Thailand. Hutch for Bangkok and Central Thailand. Not sure which covers the south.

    EV-DO modem costs about 8,000 baht then you pay 800 baht per month for the service.

    Note, if you have a CAT Telecom account it won't work in Bangkok.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    17-05-2011 @ 06:41 AM
    Posts
    131
    I usually buy a sim from DTAC and plug the mobile into my laptop, I was getting 412kbs. Last time I brought one they were doing really good deals something like 80 hrs for 500bht. It's also pre-pay, just use it and throw it away when you leave.

  6. #6
    Chinese spy
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    33,857
    Hopefully CAT CDMA will work for you. My place upcountry, in Ubon, has no such luck. Too far from the nearest CAT tower, even the AIS and DTAC signal are fairly weak.

    The only decent option really was IPStar satellite, which is expensive

  7. #7
    DaffyDuck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Ninja View Post
    Any recommendations on how I can connect to the internet while staying there?
    Activate unlimited EDGE/GPRS on your mobile phone, and tether the phone to your laptop -- most phones can tether in this way, and the configuration is pretty easy (even easier on a Mac).

    You will be limited to EDGE speeds, which frankly are not so bad -- if you want better, and you are in a region that is covered, you can try a CDMA USB dongle from CAT or HUTCH (they cover mutually exclusive areas), and you can get slightly faster CDMA speeds. Decent, but most providers want you to sign a contract for a year with them.

    EDGE isn't so bad - I use it frequently while in Thailand, and it works quite well, and with AIS you have the advantage that you have nearly universal coverage.

  8. #8
    The Pikey Hunter
    Gerbil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roasting a Hedgehog
    Posts
    12,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    hutch and CAT CDMA coverage
    Yep. The best you can do. 3.1mbps. CAT Telecom covers North/Northeast Thailand. Hutch for Bangkok and Central Thailand. Not sure which covers the south.

    EV-DO modem costs about 8,000 baht then you pay 800 baht per month for the service.

    Note, if you have a CAT Telecom account it won't work in Bangkok.
    HUTCH is SHIT.

    153kbs on CDMA20001X (EVDO is only installed in a few cities), or so they claim - I have *never* achieved better rates on it that I got on a dialup modem

    (I only use it as a last resort backup if my ADSL line is down).
    You, sir, are a God among men....
    Short Men, who aren't terribly bright....
    More like dwarves with learning disabilities....
    You are a God among Dwarves With Learning Disabilities.

  9. #9
    Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    slackula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Posts
    9,091
    It's CAT in the south. We have one of those older ccu-650 dongles for when we are out and about and it works all over Phuket and all the (few) places we have tried it in Phangna and Krabi too.

    Edit: forgot to add it works with Linux and the Macs also. Linux just took a bit of fiddling with a few of the PPP config files
    bibo ergo sum
    If you hear the thunder be happy - the lightening missed.
    This time.

  10. #10
    Days Work Done!
    Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    31,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbil
    HUTCH is SHIT.
    Not familiar with Hutch but CAT works good for me here in Roiet. Very consistent speed good enough to support You Tube and Skype so fills my needs.
    Last edited by Norton; 06-08-2009 at 01:12 PM.

  11. #11
    Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    slackula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Posts
    9,091
    ^ Gerbil said that for the record, I have never tried Hutch

  12. #12
    Days Work Done!
    Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    31,913
    ^Sorted. Bladdy q-quote function does that every now and then.

  13. #13
    Member
    Silent Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    06-03-2021 @ 01:14 PM
    Location
    online
    Posts
    301
    Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like there is still hope, so I don't have to bike to the nearest big city every day, find an internet cafe and try to work surrounded by thai teenagers playing computer games.

    Quote Originally Posted by MeMock View Post
    Does the village have a full 1 2 call signal?
    Yes, 1 2 call works. DTAC doesn't work that fantastic.

  14. #14
    Member
    Silent Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    06-03-2021 @ 01:14 PM
    Location
    online
    Posts
    301
    We have arrived and brought the best option we could find in Hat Yai - a Super 3G usb modem from AIS for 4000 baht.

    ... unfortunately there is nothing super about it. Top speed seems to be 250 kbps download and 60 kbps upload

    Subscription is 1 2 Call, unlimited transfer for 990 baht a month.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    spliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Location
    Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,771
    What is the deal w/ the UBS thing u plug in for internet? Any good?

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    spliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Location
    Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,771
    I have a desktop w/ no mobile cabilities. How do i sign up for CAT? And, is this the best service I can hope for in the farthest Bann Nok area near Khon Kaen?

    Also, we have a good 1 - 2 call signal in the village.

    I'll be coming back to Issan for a while and I'll need a decent internet option, preferably one that let's me use skype and DL movies/TV. I'm on 100mb fiber now...it's gonna be a let down, I know.

    Cheers!
    Last edited by spliff; 15-08-2009 at 02:58 PM.


  17. #17
    Member
    Silent Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    06-03-2021 @ 01:14 PM
    Location
    online
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff View Post
    What is the deal w/ the UBS thing u plug in for internet? Any good?
    Guess it all depends on the subscription and location - as far as I know, super 3G should allow faster access than 200 kbps.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    spliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Location
    Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,771
    And, what is "super 3G"?

  19. #19
    Excommunicated baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:29 PM
    Posts
    23,529
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff
    And, what is "super 3G"?
    if it is AIS it will be EDGE class 32

  20. #20
    DaffyDuck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Ninja View Post
    We have arrived and brought the best option we could find in Hat Yai - a Super 3G usb modem from AIS for 4000 baht.

    ... unfortunately there is nothing super about it. Top speed seems to be 250 kbps download and 60 kbps upload

    Subscription is 1 2 Call, unlimited transfer for 990 baht a month.
    There is currently no 3G signal of any sort in Thailand worth talking about -- your Super 3G is good for 'up to' and '3G capable' -- doesn't mean it'll give you the speed without the broadcaster's capabilities.

    The bonus is that once 3G becomes available, in about 5-6 years maybe, you can keep the same modem :-)

    In the meantime, you picked the right plane (the 990 all you can eat plan), and the right service (1-2-call, because they have a signal nearly everywhere) - so you'll be fine.

  21. #21
    DaffyDuck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Ninja View Post
    Yes, 1 2 call works. DTAC doesn't work that fantastic.
    DTAC's only advantage is that you can top up the EDGE plan separately, but they do not have pervasive coverage -- 1-2-call has the all-you-can-eat plan for a reasonable 990 Baht (and also has a 39 baht/day plan), and they don't count by quantity, but by 24 hour period, which is much smarter.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    spliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Location
    Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Ninja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff View Post
    What is the deal w/ the UBS thing u plug in for internet? Any good?
    Guess it all depends on the subscription and location - as far as I know, super 3G should allow faster access than 200 kbps.
    So, this is what cost 4,000:
    AIS : 3G

    or did u get the wireless router;
    AIS : 3G

  23. #23
    Member
    Silent Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    06-03-2021 @ 01:14 PM
    Location
    online
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Ninja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff View Post
    What is the deal w/ the UBS thing u plug in for internet? Any good?
    Guess it all depends on the subscription and location - as far as I know, super 3G should allow faster access than 200 kbps.
    So, this is what cost 4,000:
    AIS : 3G

    or did u get the wireless router;
    AIS : 3G
    First one.

  24. #24
    DaffyDuck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff View Post
    or did u get the wireless router;
    AIS : 3G
    the 3G Wireless Router is convenient if you are traveling with friends, or have multiple computers.

    How much is one of those? Might be worth it on my next trip when traveling -- making internet connectivity one less concern.

  25. #25
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    04-10-2016 @ 05:12 PM
    Posts
    7

    Question Ipstar sat?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Hopefully CAT CDMA will work for you. My place upcountry, in Ubon, has no such luck. Too far from the nearest CAT tower, even the AIS and DTAC signal are fairly weak.

    The only decent option really was IPStar satellite, which is expensive
    How much is the ipstar connection Sabang and is it quick enough? Heading back out to Ubon at the end of the month could do with sorting the internet thing now really!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •