Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,386

    Mobile Data packages

    Just moved into a temporary house. No landline/fibre internet.

    I have an LTE modem thingy I was happy with in Indonesia.

    Who offers the best mobile data packages.

    I looked at AIS which seems to offer a package for 270 baht a week but that is only for 9G if i remember correctly. is there better?

    I'm in Bangkok but it says that in my profile
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

  2. #2
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    18,213
    There are lots of data packages around. AIS have quite a few to choose from. Depends on how much you want to spend, how much speed you need, how much data you need, pre-paid or post-paid, limited or unlimited, etc. The obvious stuff.

    ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/internet4g_continued.html

    You can look at their website but it doesn't show all the packages they have. Pop into an AIS or Telewiz shop and pick up a leaflet, or give them a call on 1175, speak to an 'agent' and tell them what you need and they'll help you choose what might suit you.
    Last edited by Neverna; 08-01-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    Nev has style

  3. #3
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    09-01-2020 @ 05:34 AM
    Posts
    14
    I use a True sim.
    Every month I put 300bt on it.
    I then dial: *900*8948*17406194#

    That's for 24/7 data.
    Costs 212bt.
    87bt left for calls (does me for the month)

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,199
    For mobile data I use a true sim,

    10mbps unlimited which is plenty enough for and has no issue streaming youtube/netflix and is Bt1850 for 12 months.

    https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10...Qs4hO&search=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    let me explain simply 100MB != 1GB RAM

  5. #5
    Bugger all money Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    30,319
    If you get the my ais app, i used to pay 1800 baht for 6 months.
    That was just for my phone although when I did try and hotspot to my Mag box when the fibre internet in the street was down it buffered a lot.

    But for 300 baht a month I thought it was good just for the phone.

    Try the one day package on there first, see how that works, but you won't beat AIS Fibre home internet for streaming.



    That 600 baht for 6 months is what I put on my daughters phone and worked well

  6. #6
    Bugger all money Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    30,319
    ^^ There you go. That True looks better, but they are renowned for throttling your internet speeds at peak times

  7. #7
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    25,444
    There's Lulu being rorted again. I use Dtac Happy pay as you go. Whenever out in some place that doesn't have Wifi, I get their 24 hours of Data for 30 baht or something.

    "10mbps unlimited which is plenty enough for and has no issue streaming youtube/netflix and is Bt1850 for 12 months."

    5 baht a day for unlimited @ 10mbs.


    Next question, can I change from my Dtac Happy Sim to a True Sim and keep my number etc?

    Cheers.


    Dtac Data in CM is utter shite btw, different companies are better than others in different parts of the country. All should be okay in Bkk.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    ^^ There you go. That True looks better, but they are renowned for throttling your internet speeds at peak times

    and yet in the blurb they claim no speed throttling............... and ive had it for 6 months and there has been no speed throttling that ive noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    let me explain simply 100MB != 1GB RAM

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    There's Lulu being rorted again. I use Dtac Happy pay as you go. Whenever out in some place that doesn't have Wifi, I get their 24 hours of Data for 30 baht or something.

    "10mbps unlimited which is plenty enough for and has no issue streaming youtube/netflix and is Bt1850 for 12 months."

    5 baht a day for unlimited @ 10mbs.


    Next question, can I change from my Dtac Happy Sim to a True Sim and keep my number etc?

    Cheers.


    Dtac Data in CM is utter shite btw, different companies are better than others in different parts of the country. All should be okay in Bkk.
    that true sim is a data sim, no phone number/calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    let me explain simply 100MB != 1GB RAM

  10. #10
    Bugger all money Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    30,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    ive had it for 6 months and there has been no speed throttling that ive noticed.
    Fairy muff

    I've never had a True sim so shouldn't really comment on the mobile side but their actual home internet was pants

  11. #11
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    25,444
    ^^ Cool, cheers.


    I've a dual Sim phone, with slots for 2 sim cards.


    Can I use one as a Data Sim, to connect to the net, and still use the other sim at the same time, for example with Line accounts that use the phone number of the 2nd Sim, receive phone calls etc. Or does using the Data Sim automatically make the other Sim inactive while it's being used?

    Cheers.

  12. #12
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    18,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    ^^ Cool, cheers.


    I've a dual Sim phone, with slots for 2 sim cards.


    Can I use one as a Data Sim, to connect to the net, and still use the other sim at the same time, for example with Line accounts that use the phone number of the 2nd Sim, receive phone calls etc. Or does using the Data Sim automatically make the other Sim inactive while it's being used?

    Cheers.
    Depends on your phone but you should be able to use both.

    Settings > Connections > SIM card manager
    Nev has style

  13. #13
    Bugger all money Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    30,319
    ^ Mate, once you have set up whatsapp or Line or Tinder or Grindr or Mbudgecraigslisthos on your phone you can still change sims, just not phones

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    PAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Location
    Chalong, Phuket
    Posts
    2,234
    M'Sahib and I use AIS on contract for our phone packages. Don't know which package they are, but I get continual 4G coverage when not on wifi, plus the usual suite of free calls/texts etc. Cost is consistently circa 320 baht/month (for my phone at least).In the house, we have AIS Fibre, though for some reason there are two routers. Don't know the exact monthly cost, but believe it to be around 7/800.Speed wise, did some screen shots a short while ago. This first is with wifi disconnected so on 4G:



    This one with the slower of the two wifi connections:

    Lastly the faster wifi connection:

    I use the slower wifi connection as the automatic connection to my phone, the faster one for my iMac and Pulse TV box. Apparently the speeds would be much faster were I to connect the iMac to the router via LAN instead of wifi.

  15. #15
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 AM
    Posts
    62,954
    First thing I'd do is use an app to measure the signal strength of the respective providers.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    ^^ Cool, cheers.


    I've a dual Sim phone, with slots for 2 sim cards.


    Can I use one as a Data Sim, to connect to the net, and still use the other sim at the same time, for example with Line accounts that use the phone number of the 2nd Sim, receive phone calls etc. Or does using the Data Sim automatically make the other Sim inactive while it's being used?

    Cheers.
    Yep myphone (S8) is dual sim.

    sim slot one is set for phone calls and sms, sim slot 2 is set for data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    let me explain simply 100MB != 1GB RAM

  17. #17
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    25,444
    That's cool, cheers.

    Didn't think both sims could 'run' simultaneously. That one is connecting the phone to the internet via Data, and the other is running and using the data internet connection of the other sim.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,398
    Dtac 30gb + 400mins / pm, with unused bandwidth (last two months 25gb and 27gb) carried forward which is pointless as it will never be used. I would be happy with 5-10gb as I have wifi most of the time, but wifey turned up with this package at 900 bt/pm; hope they told her it's a steal, because I did. Now itching for the contract to end so I can meet my same needs 5-600bt/m cheaper.

  19. #19
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 AM
    Posts
    62,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    That's cool, cheers.

    Didn't think both sims could 'run' simultaneously. That one is connecting the phone to the internet via Data, and the other is running and using the data internet connection of the other sim.
    Most dual SIM phones will let you choose which SIM you use for calls, messages and data. You can mix and match. They had a great deal on data at Swampy the other week, so I bought a Data card and set that for my data, and used my original card for calls and messages.

  20. #20
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    25,444
    Cool, cheers.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    That's cool, cheers.

    Didn't think both sims could 'run' simultaneously. That one is connecting the phone to the internet via Data, and the other is running and using the data internet connection of the other sim.
    Sim 1 (ais) has no included data, it is purely calls and sms only.

    Sim 2 (true) is data only, no calls or sms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    let me explain simply 100MB != 1GB RAM

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Sim 1 (ais) has no included data, it is purely calls and sms only.

    Sim 2 (true) is data only, no calls or sms.
    My first time with dual SIM, never thought I would ever need two SIMs again but it does come in handy.

    Mine are:

    1 - new number which gets all the calls and data
    2 - old number which was hacked/cloned, zero satang balance so can't make but can receive phone calls, and can still use for outgoing texts etc via wifi, though I won't be doing that as the idea is to wean everybody off it and to the new number.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by jabir View Post
    My first time with dual SIM, never thought I would ever need two SIMs again but it does come in handy.

    Mine are:

    1 - new number which gets all the calls and data
    2 - old number which was hacked/cloned, zero satang balance so can't make but can receive phone calls, and can still use for outgoing texts etc via wifi, though I won't be doing that as the idea is to wean everybody off it and to the new number.
    Yeah dual sims are handy, In my other dual sim (S7) I have an ais sim (same number, gotta love AIS multi sim) and my Aus sim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    let me explain simply 100MB != 1GB RAM

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    PAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Location
    Chalong, Phuket
    Posts
    2,234
    Got to admit, I just don't see the advantage of dual SIM's, other than dual national carriers. When you can have one SIM with as much calls and internet as you need. I guess having dual numbers on the same phone could advantage certain circumstances, but sounds like too much grief potential to me.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by PAG View Post
    Got to admit, I just don't see the advantage of dual SIM's, other than dual national carriers. When you can have one SIM with as much calls and internet as you need. I guess having dual numbers on the same phone could advantage certain circumstances, but sounds like too much grief potential to me.
    Can you link a phone and data sim that gives unlimited data @ 10mbs for 5 baht a day.

    The only downside I have with running seperate phone and data sims is that can not fit a SD card into the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    let me explain simply 100MB != 1GB RAM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •