I am in Jail

Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM

Easy Xmas Gingerbread Houses

I'm gonna make a couple of houses for the oldies homes. Thought, why bother with the baking -- just get cookies and improvise! Just need to make the frosting for the "glue", get some smarties, candy, some grated choccie swirls (well, tough for some of this stuff in the tropics), but hey, build away. (Does anyone eat this stuff, anyway?)

Here's a frost (glue) dressing and other hints. Probably really fun to build with the kids. Leave a wall open to put fairy lights inside and stuff.

graham crackers (whatever; anything sweet and square is OK)
    Frosting for glue (recipe below)
    Assorted small candies for decorating
    Pastry bag and tip or Ziploc bag and scissors
    Frosting
    1/2 pound confectioner's sugar
    3 tbs. butter/margarine
    1/2 tsp. Vanilla

1 1/2 - 2 tbs. Milk
    1. Mix all the ingredients together until smooth and easy to spread, but not runny. Add more sugar if too runny.
    2. If you have a pastry bag, place frosting in bag and use a small tip. You can use a Ziploc bag cutting a small hole in the corner.
    3. Place one graham cracker flat on the table, squeeze a little frosting around all edges. You may need an extra pair of hands.
    4. Place one cracker on each side standing up. It now looks like a box without a top.
    5. Carefully squeeze more frosting on all outside corners from top to bottom and around the bottom of the box.
    6. Let stand for a short while to let frosting harden a little. This will make working with the roof a little easier.
    7. Now squeeze frosting on two of the top edges of the box and place the last two graham crackers in a V shape on as the roof. Looks like a triangle on a box now from the side. It may overhang if you can get the frosting to hold for you.
    8. Squeeze frosting along the top of the roof where crackers join. Let stand again until frosting hardens a little.
    9. Now comes the fun part - with leftover frosting, cover the roof to look like snow. (two sides are left open) Then squeezing small amounts on candy, place candy on the house to decorate. You can use the frosting to add things like doors and windows. Just use your imagination.
    Miniature Gingerbread House - Kaboose.com
    This here will be what Ant will be trying to get his twins to create (OK, it's Brit but whatever) :

Oh, this looks like a boobie roof:
    Last edited by Jet Gorgon; 07-12-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    they look great jettie

I am in Jail

Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    ^ Not mine, those are from the net. I might need some housebuilders to help with mine.

Special member
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Gorgon
    I'm gonna make a couple of houses for the oldies homes
    they probably can't see too well anyway, don't put too much effort into the presentation.

The cold, wet one
    Last Online
    31-03-2015 @ 03:06 PM
    Nice idea, Jettie. Pics of your finished articles, please?

If I tried to build one with littl'un, I think it'd turn out to be a gingerbread mud hut, though...

Thread Information