View Single Post
Old 26-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
friscofrankie
Northern Hermit

friscofrankie Thailand Expatfriscofrankie Thailand Expatfriscofrankie Thailand Expatfriscofrankie Thailand Expatfriscofrankie Thailand Expatfriscofrankie Thailand Expatfriscofrankie Thailand Expatfriscofrankie Thailand Expatfriscofrankie Thailand Expatfriscofrankie Thailand Expatfriscofrankie Thailand Expat
Depends on what you want right? After shooting a couple hundred raw photos I'm inclined to start thinking about a film camera for some things. But I am quite happy to browse through & edit the RAW digital photos on about 90% of what I shoot. I may be doing a lot of photo illustrated travel review and general articles in the coming months and higher quality pics will just make them just that much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil
Also, for long term storage I store a jpg with the RAW for each image. Reason being is that as the RAW format is proprietory to the camera manufacturer/model, in 10 years time it may be tricky to find the right software to read it, but the jpg should be readable by anything that's around at the time.
dcraw is a very good and well maintained Open Source application with some plugins for different image editor allowing you to import yur raw files with out proprietary software. This site http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/ is by the developer and targeted to linux users but he does have links to Windows and Mac ports.

I can now import RAW files from my sony and my fuji cameras directly into the Gimp, although it does wipe the exif information There are ways to avoid this if it important to you but I haven't read up n it yet. Works pretty damn good, though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
friscofrankie is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04435 seconds with 19 queries