View Single Post
Old 26-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #133 (permalink)
Mid
Thailand Expat

Mid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand ExpatMid Thailand Expat
Protests in Rangoon
Mizzima News (Specializing News of Burma)

(Burmese Standard time)
11:10 a.m

More protests foreseen

The junta's ban on assembly of more than five people nothwithstanding activists said they would continue to protest.

Sources said, groups of people are starting to gather in Rangoon to start demonstrations today.

More arrests
Authorities last night arrested famous Burmese comedian and critic, Zarganar from his residence.

Police raided the house of the Burmese comedian at 1 Op.m. last night and seized photographs and telephone besides arresting him.

As Burma saw protests and crackdowns in what is another snowballing unrest, Thai government has planned to call back its embassy officials in Rangoon if the situation goes out of control.

At least 150 riot police are seen taking up position near the office of the cabinet.

10: 45 a.m
Security tightened in Rangoon

As part of escalating security security measures a military truck has been placed at the eastern gate of the famous Shwedagon pagoda, and only a single man entry was open at the middle gate. At Kyethwon pagoda, about 100 riot police blocked the road.

Police officials also ordered the roadside stalls near the area to be close-down. At Arzarnikone, two army trucks have been placed and at the end of the road near the nuns monastery there are about 40 policemen.

Though today is the full moon day of the month, on which Buddhists in Burma usually goes for prayers at pagodas, due to heavy security at the pagodas only a few people are seen going for prayers.

Meanwhile, at Mandalay, about 300 police and soldiers that has batches of Battalion 99, are seen taking up position near the Phayagyi pagoda.

mizzima.com

"I think...I think it's in my basement. Let me go upstairs and check" - M.C. Escher
Mid is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07060 seconds with 19 queries