Last Online
    @

Eat, Shop, Rinse, Repeat

...a report from the enticingly authoritative Kobkarn:

Thailand Wants More Tourists Who Act Like Australians
    By Sunil Jagtiani

Thailand is now so popular for holidays that almost 35 million foreign tourists -- equivalent to half the country’s population -- are expected this year.

As the influx gets harder to manage, the government is shifting strategy. It’s now targeting a minimum increase in tourism revenue of about 5 percent annually instead of a particular number of visitors, Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said. That means encouraging longer stays and higher daily spending, a mix the typical Australian holidaymaker exemplifies, she said.

“Maybe they’re the ones who are like: this is my time -- I eat, I shop, and I eat, and I shop," Kobkarn, 56, said in an interview.

Australian visitors were among the top 10 biggest spenders in terms of per capita daily expenditure last year, forking out 5,831 baht ($172), Tourism Ministry data shows. Their average length of stay of almost 14 days was the highest in that group. Some nationalities take even longer holidays but tend to be more parsimonious. British tourists, for instance, stayed for just over 18 days on average while spending 4,376 baht daily.

Tourism is a bright spot for Thailand’s economy, which faces challenges such as political uncertainty and sluggish consumer demand. The sector makes up about 18 percent of gross domestic product, Kobkarn said in the interview in Chiang Mai last month.

“We no longer have a target for number of tourists,” she said. “We shouldn’t go beyond the limit that we can cope. But there’s no statistic on that yet. When people say that Phuket may be too crowded, or Bangkok is too crowded, we have to make sure that we are introducing new destinations too.”

Arrivals from overseas more than doubled in the past decade, powered by a surge in Chinese holidaymakers who contributed 28 percent of 1.6 trillion baht in foreign tourism receipts in 2016.

Affordability is one reason why Thailand has usurped Malaysia as Southeast Asia’s most popular destination, but Kobkarn said the nation must focus on quality as well as cost to tackle emerging competitive threats from the likes of Myanmar and Vietnam.

Quality doesn’t just mean targeting wealthy tourists as Thailand needs travelers on a variety of budgets, Kobkarn said. Instead, it refers to offering good value experiences that encourage return visits, increase the average length of stay and bolster daily spending per head, she said.

Visitors from the Middle East are the biggest per capita daily spenders, according to the Tourism Ministry data. Chinese tourists stood out for above-average expenditure and sheer number of arrivals -- 8.8 million, dwarfing other nationalities and making China the most important single country for tourism receipts...

...for charts, graphs and a pic of Kobkarn: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...gy-for-tourism
    Majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    this is my time -- I eat, I shop, and I eat, and I shop," Kobkarn, 56, said in an interview.
    Its more like-

Eat, fuck, drink, fuck, drink, fuck, drink, eat, fuck, sleep

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    this is my time -- I eat, I shop, and I eat, and I shop," Kobkarn, 56, said in an interview.
    Its more like-

Vacant of relieving themselves?
    Quite the species.

Last Online
    24-12-2017 @ 05:10 AM
    Vacant of relieving themselves?
    Quite the species.
    In the case of the mainland Chinese locusts .. erm, tourists, it's eat, shit in street, eat, screech like a gibbon, piss on street, eat, spit, squat, shit, yell AND rinse and repeat.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Those Chinese tourists are " Noisy shits"

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    Its more like-

^ We call that the Circle of Life

Ahh ... the good 'ole days.
    I remember her well, and her, and her, and her, and her (but that one was dodgy, I was drunk,
    she had a deep voice and an unusual looking shell), and her and her-her (she bought a friend, but they insisted
    on me changing condoms) and ...

... and then I found a Keeper.

Game over, owned ... sigh
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago ...

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD
    We call that the Circle of an unexamined Life
    ftfy...

Thread Information