Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Last Online
    20-04-2019 @ 08:25 AM

Interenet Satellite connection

Presently using a true move 3 g dongle, we seem to be on the edge of their service area and the connection keeps dropping which is hassle when trying to send e mails
    TOT offer a satellite system --any reports/advice would be appreciated

Last Online
    @
    I had a mate in the sticks who made an amplifier for it himself from a Metal Dustbin lid. He got the instructions on youtube. Saved him a bundle apparently.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    A friend of mine just had TOT round and they fitted a system. He has a Nano-staition on a Long pole on his roof.I think He's gone for 590 a month package and they charged him about 6000+ Baht to fit the system.
    The hardest thing is getting them to come round !!!!
    Big Ol' Lucky Ol' Al.

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    The satellite is aledgedly a 1mps link. It's been discussed and the consensus of people who have it is that it's not very good.
    I asked tot and even they said it was crap. It's not their service, they are just a reseller I believe of the ipstar service.

Have you checked if wi net is available?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99
    I believe of the ipstar service.
    Yes is ipstar. I believe Sabang has it and works ok for him. A bit pricey but when in the sticks sometimes no choice.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donald36 View Post
    Presently using a true move 3 g dongle, we seem to be on the edge of their service area and the connection keeps dropping which is hassle when trying to send e mails
    TOT offer a satellite system --any reports/advice would be appreciated
    I have heard from a friend who is useing the TOT satellite system thats its quite good and getting about 6 meg with no disruptions ,I think that your locality may have something to do with your poor service , best of luck!

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    ^ you are mistaking satellite with WiNet which is a local broadcast wifi.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    Yes is ipstar. I believe Sabang has it and works ok for him. A bit pricey but when in the sticks sometimes no choice.
    I am building near Sang Ka in Surin. Any idea what the monthly and installation cost is?

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    I had a mate in the sticks who made an amplifier for it himself from a Metal Dustbin lid.
    There is a lot of people in the UK watch television through something very similar ,,,,its called SKY

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    I suppose in time a good network will be set up , whoever gets a top system up and running will be onto a good earner

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    18-05-2021 @ 03:37 PM
    oh yeah nidge. we have internet where I live n most people here are gobsmacked that someone would pay even 500bt a month for this internet thingy. For what I'm asked .

it's not in the sticks cos there isn't enough farang out there but I know you boys are trying.!
    will not put up wiv the "Nanny state" so don't push it on me.

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    I am building near Sang Ka in Surin. Any idea what the monthly and installation cost is?
    Not cheap. Installation is if I recal about 20k.

TOT Satellite

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    I am building near Sang Ka in Surin.
    I use a 3g mobile wi fi from CatTelecom. If you're within about 9km from nearest tower should work for you. Check at local office. 631 per month. Can't recall price of modem but around 1,000 baht.

Any idea what the monthly and installation cost is?
    Not sure about ipStar installation cost. Monthly rates range from 1,500 to 8,900 per month depending on speed you want.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect,"

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    ^ you are mistaking satellite with WiNet which is a local broadcast wifi.
    Yeah Quite possible Necron ,when it comes to Computers I'm a real bonehead,all I really know for sure it that its TOT and he has a big Antenna stuck in the air in his garden which he says gives him a good speed

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    I am building near Sang Ka in Surin.
    I use a 3g mobile wi fi from CatTelecom. If you're within about 9km from nearest tower should work for you. Check at local office. 631 per month. Can't recall price of modem but around 1,000 baht.

Any idea what the monthly and installation cost is?
    Not sure about ipStar installation cost. Monthly rates range from 1,500 to 8,900 per month depending on speed you want.
    I must have the same system as you ,my modem cost me 3700 baht cos its 21.6 mbs ,its got a little adapter on the side which plugs into the cable which goes to my antenna out side which I used for my old CDMA service ,the speeds OK and much better than the old CDMA, I am 12 kms from the nearest tower that.s why I had to pay more, my mate is sat very close to it and does not need an antenna or the expensive modem I think his cost him 1300 baht

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I'm pretty dumb about these things. You use 3g mobile wi fi for your home PC? I thought 3g was for mobile phones only.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    18-05-2021 @ 03:37 PM
    ^ nope 3g is 3 g.
    I use an old Samsung galaxy phone and share my internet via wifi to my laptop n desktop .
    hang it up high where the signal is good and away I go.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    I'm pretty dumb about these things. You use 3g mobile wi fi for your home PC? I thought 3g was for mobile phones only.
    I suggest you find a bar were farangs frequent , no doubt you will get loads of helpful advice there ,I know I did and the more stupider you confess you are (like me) the more they appear to want to help

Last Online
    You use 3g mobile wi fi for your home PC?
    Yep. It's a wee wireless modem about the size of a ciggy lighter. Plugs into usb port. Talks on internet via a local mobile phone tower. Mine never drops out but can be slow when the local tower is overloaded. Works fine for near all most folks use. Steaming vids are jerky but all else good. Go to your local CatTelecom office. They can get you all sorted.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    If you telephone 2322 in Bangkok they will furnish you with the number of your nearest CAT office ,if its any use the telephone number in Buriram is 044 612114 , the guy there speaks decent English.

Last Online
    Steaming vids are jerky
    Freudian slip there.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelandjan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    I had a mate in the sticks who made an amplifier for it himself from a Metal Dustbin lid.
    There is a lot of people in the UK watch television through something very similar ,,,,its called SKY

and the content is often rubbish too

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Yeah ^ that was what I was implying

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Yep. It's a wee wireless modem about the size of a ciggy lighter. Plugs into usb port. Talks on internet via a local mobile phone tower. Mine never drops out but can be slow when the local tower is overloaded. Works fine for near all most folks use. Steaming vids are jerky but all else good. Go to your local CatTelecom office. They can get you all sorted.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi
    If you telephone 2322 in Bangkok they will furnish you with the number of your nearest CAT office ,if its any use the telephone number in Buriram is 044 612114 , the guy there speaks decent English.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi
    I suggest you find a bar were farangs frequent , no doubt you will get loads of helpful advice there ,I know I did and the more stupider you confess you are (like me) the more they appear to want to help
    Or maybe a local farang Bible study group!
    Good idea.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    13-05-2016 @ 11:16 PM
    I used to have TOT sattelite connection ,I now have TRUE move dongle , not much difference in reception ,speed etc but true does not drop out for a week every time there is an electrical storm as TOT did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information