Out there...
    Last Online
    @

Thaksin's brother enters temple, quickly promoted

Payap Shinawatra enters monkhood, quickly promoted | Bangkok Post: news

Thaksin's brother enters temple, quickly promotedPayap Shinawatra, younger brother of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin, entered the monkhood at a Buddhist temple in India on Feb 10 and was promoted to the position of deputy provost in a week, reports said.

The reports said Mr Payap was ordained at Mahabodhi Temple in Bodhgaya, India, and was given the ordination name of Phra Payap Khemakuno. His stay will be brief and he plans to leave the monkhood on March 11.

A week later, Somdet Phra Thirayanmuni, the abbot of Debsirindrawas Ratchaworawiharn Temple, suddenly promoted Phra Payap Khemakuno to deputy provost, or phra kru palad.

Traditionally, a monk would have to spend at least 30 months in a temple to be eligible for such a promotion.

His sudden elevation to deputy provost has drawn criticism from many Thai netizens, who agreed Phra Payap Khemakuno is not qualified, or not suitable, for promotion.

Others replied that this is a matter for Buddhist monks to decide and people should not criticise them.

Payap Shinawatra has entered monkhood and is given the ordination name of Phra Payap Khemakuno. (Post Today photo)

An official at the National Office of Buddhism said Phra Payap Khemakuno's promotion was not appropriate because his qualifications must be considered first.

People do not know what the monk has done for Buddhism to warrant it, given that he has been ordained for less than a month.

"It's not surprising this has made people feel that a senior monk acted without considering the consequences.

"People might think that there is a hidden political agenda here, and worst of all this could affect Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. Heer opponents might use this incident to attack her," the official said.

"People might also assume that monks are involved in colour-coded politics, but we'll have to wait for Somdet Phra Thirayanmuni's clarification of his decision to promote the monk first," the official added.

Phra Payom Kallayano of Suan Kaew Temple, a well-known monk, said there is nothing wrong with Phra Payap Khemakuno being promoted.

"This problem would not arise if Payap were not the brother of a man named Thaksin.

"We should stop thinking too much about the time factor, because there are men who have been monks for many years but have not done anything for the religion," Phra Payom said.

He said there are two conditions for promotion -- a person must spend many years in the monkhood, or a person must contribute to the support and promotion of Buddhism.

"I've read in the news that Phra Payap previously helped fund the construction of Buddhist temples. If this is true then he can be promoted," the abbot said.
    "Slavery is the daughter of darkness; an ignorant people is the blind instrument of its own destruction; ambition and intrigue take advantage of the credulity and inexperience of men who have no political, economic or civil knowledge. They mistake pure illusion for reality, license for freedom, treason for patriotism, vengeance for justice."-Simón Bolívar

Out there...
    Last Online
    @
    "I've read in the news that Phra Payap previously helped fund the construction of Buddhist temples. If this is true then he can be promoted," the abbot said.

So that's all you have to do....nothing to do with religion but throw some money at it (as I'm sure he didn't actually do any construction work...) and Bob's your father's brother.

Saffron mafia indeed.

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    It pretty much is Dog. They don't even make a pretense now.
    I was up at some mirror temple in Uthai a while ago, they had half a dozen big floor safes with note slots cut in the top lined up against the wall, people where lining up to feed them. Like slots machines that only pay outin your imagination.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Very true, much like the medieval catholics purchasing their indulgences as a free pass to heaven.

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    Karma,it's a product...

[/IMG]

god
    Last Online
    @
    Two of my Thai family in Chiangmai are slowly dying from COPD and can think of nothing better than to make donations to temples.

I'm trying to convince them to relocate to a healthier environment, but no, they think that they've got to stick to it, make money, give heaps to the wat, then die.

It was the same with another well respected neighbour, she gave away all she had to the wat, left almost nothing to her family and not enough for her funeral.

All this confuses me and makes me sad. It has nothing to do with being a Buddhist.
    “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? John 10:34.

Out there...
    Last Online
    @
    Newly ordained Payap Shinawatra confirms he was promoted | Bangkok Post: breakingnews

Phra Payap: I have been promoted

Payap Shinawatra, who entered the monkhood at a Buddhist temple in India, has confirmed reports he was promoted to the deputy provost's position only a short time after being ordained.

"I was promoted because I've helped to preserve the religion," Mr Payap, whose ordination name is Phra Payap Khemakuno, said while giving a sermon in India on Tuesday. The sermon was broadcast on a cable television channel.

The monk, who is the younger brother of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin, said his promotion to deputy provost, or phra khru palad, was a special case because he had helped preserve Buddhism and practiced the religion for a long time. The promotion felt to him like he was receiving an honourary doctorate, he added.

Religious Affairs Department director-general Preecha Kanthiya earlier denied that Phra Payap Khemakuno had been promoted, saying he was not qualified.

"This is not true because a monk must stay in the monkhood for at least 15 months before he can get promoted and the monk must be virtuous and help promote the religion," Mr Preecha said.

He said a group of senior monks would then take the issue into consideration before it is submitted for royal endorsement.

The process is not simple and Phra Payap Khemakuno's promotion is not true, he added.

Out there...
    Last Online
    @
    ^ Some confusion there it seems.....

I'm sure the, ummmm, confusion can be sorted out....more making merit required I guess.....lots more, shiny and papery making merit.

Edit...

I mean lots of recognition of preserving the religion...

Yes, that's what I mean.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Yeah my immediate thoughts were wot Stront doggy said.
    Catch ya later Stronty.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-01-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    Bought a new bike the girl say's lets go to the temple and get it blessed,i thought wtf it keeps her happy lets go,the big cheese blesses the bike and as i'm about to ride off the girl nudges me and say's give him thb150 so i pull the cash out of my pocket and hand it to him,WRONG!!! what a drama i embarassed the monks by handing over the dirty filthy cash ???????????????? long story short i got the bike blessed for free

Thread Information