Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Out there...
    Last Online
    @

2 Britons killed in Thailand road accident

BBC News - Britons killed in Thailand road accident

15 February 2013 Last updated at 13:24 GMT

Britons killed in Thailand road accident

Two Britons have died in a road accident in Thailand, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

Guernsey Police said they had been asked to notify the family of a 35-year-old local man that he had died as the result of a collision.

They said the next of kin of a 35-year-old female who also died lived in Bristol and were being informed by Avon and Somerset Police.

The force said no further details were available at this time.

-----
    Police name Thai crash victims « This Is Guernsey

Police name Thai crash victims

Friday 15th February 2013, 2:29PM GMT.

The Guernseyman killed in a road crash in Thailand has been named by Guernsey Police as Peter Root (34).

His partner, named as Mary Thompson (also 34) from Bristol, died in the same incident.

There are still no details of exactly where and when the crash occurred.

In a statement police say that the information has been passed to them from the London Foreign & Commonwealth Office and that they are liasing with the relevant overseas authorities in order to establish further information.
    "Slavery is the daughter of darkness; an ignorant people is the blind instrument of its own destruction; ambition and intrigue take advantage of the credulity and inexperience of men who have no political, economic or civil knowledge. They mistake pure illusion for reality, license for freedom, treason for patriotism, vengeance for justice."-Simón Bolívar

Last Online
    20-02-2013 @ 09:09 AM
    Mary Thompson and Peter Root have been on a round the world cycling tour - Europe, Middle East, China, Cambodia before getting to Thailand earlier this month.

No mention in any report I can find on whether they were killed while cycling.

They made a short movie 'Cycling Central Asia' that is to be shown at a festival of cycling-related movies in Portland, Oregon in April.

Many people have been following their travels via their website, it appears to have been closed today - can only access the home page of Two On Four Wheels

twoonfourwheels.com
    We are Mary Thompson and Peter Root. At 5.00pm on the 12th July 2011 we got the boat to France with loads of stuff and two bikes.

Cycling Central Asia Part 2:
    Cycling Central Asia Part 2 on Vimeo

Last edited by trabant; 16-02-2013 at 05:58 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Tragic eerie reading their website. They travelled so far from Guernsey and no doubt some Chickenhead Thai ended them

Last Online
    28-02-2020 @ 11:00 AM
    sad tidings...

Last Online
    23-05-2015 @ 05:49 PM
    Shit, sad news indeed. I don't really know what to say, cycling can be such a pleasure in Southeast Asia, but there are some fuckwits driving on the road which can make things dangerous.

Last Online

and

Peter Root and Mary Thompson, both 34, were riding their bikes near the capital Bangkok when they were run over by a pick-up truck.

The couple, from Guernsey, were both talented artists and had set off on their global trip in July 2011.

They were in their 23rd country when the tragedy struck, having already cycled through Europe, the Middle East and China.

Mr Root’s devastated father Jerry yesterday described them as a “golden couple” who “loved life”.

His mum Marian said they had insisted on cycling all the way, despite having to travel through a number of danger hotspots including Iran and Afghanistan.

source

Cacoethes scribendi
    Last Online
    15-06-2015 @ 08:51 AM
    Very sad indeed. To have come so far, through all those countries, only to get run over in Thailand. Our thoughts go out to their families and loved ones. RIP

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    18-05-2021 @ 03:37 PM
    respect goes out to them.

Friday I went to samut prakan , the ancient city. on the way home east along the oldsukhumvit I had the chance of an overtake along the single lane road that is busy with trucks .
    There was some bloke that was undertaking faster than me ! weaving in and out for atleast 10k,
    but getting nowhere quickly , effectively making the road now 3 lanes
    ,he pulled in occasionally and randomly as far as I could work him out.

how many times have you seen that done?
    will not put up wiv the "Nanny state" so don't push it on me.

Last Online
    there's been no Thai media coverage I can find, in either Thai or English language sources.

Read on a (unverified) cycling blog that they were headed to Bangkok having crossed into Sa Kaeo province at Aranyaprathet, and that the accident occurred south-east of Bangkok, in Chachoengsao province, near Phanom Sarakham, and that they were hit by a pickup truck.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:57 PM
    Cycling through Thailand, a country where 16,000+ die each year on the roads, is perhaps not a good idea in terms of any risk balance.

Only the deranged or foolhardy would be stupid enough to actually cycle in Bangkok other than on pavements or parks but to think provincial areas with less traffic flow are safer is quite delusional.

If this unfortunate couple had sat down with any expat anywhere here and discussed their plans I rather think the unanimous reaction would have been that they were barking mad to contemplate such a daft idea.

Afghanistan, like all the other truly dreadful places in Africa and the sub continent, has a worse record for fatalities through RTAs but that's because all their modes of transport involve gross overcrowding. Thailand has a much greater spread of threat in that any vehicle in the sticks is, potentially, driven by an imbecile drunk out of his skull.

Last Online
    26-11-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent
    Cycling through Thailand, a country where 16,000+ die each year on the roads, is perhaps not a good idea in terms of any risk balance. Only the deranged or foolhardy would be stupid enough to actually cycle in Bangkok other than on pavements or parks but to think provincial areas with less traffic flow are safer is quite delusional.
    My thoughts exactly. The area they were killed in is a huge artery of heavy lorry traffic and is much like the cannonball run

god
    Last Online
    @
    I ride a pushbike around some places in Thailand, and if on a motocy as a clingon I'll wear a full face carbon fibre helmet and pads, otherwise I drive a RAV 4x4 and keep way the fwk away from trucks and 3-4 idiots on motocys.

I'm really careful when approaching every blind curve, they seem to attract Thai corner-cutters.

Last Online
    06-06-2013 @ 10:25 AM
    Heartbreaking. Can´t support the statement of his mom that iran is a danger hotspot, it´s lovely and not really dangerous. In contrast to that cycling in Bangkok seems really dangerous but noone knows the details so it´s difficult to comment.

Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    A buddy of mine on a ride from Hu Hin to Phuket met these two people. He was impressed with their positive personalities and how well-equipped they were - gear-wise.

This is sad news. Riding a bicycle near Bangkok. I would consider such folly myself.

RIP Peter & Mary

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    Cycled for Months through 23 Countries, then wiped out by some retard on probably the Worlds most dangerous roads.

What a waste, 2 talented people with a lust for life

R.I.P

Last Online

Killer driver - "reaching down to pick up something"

British cyclists die in Chachoengsao
    Published: 17 Feb 2013 at 17.20

A British couple, who were on a world cycling tour, have been killed in an accident in Chachoengsao province, according to reports from The Sun and The Telegraph.

The accident occurred on Friday at about 2.30pm when a pickup truck ran over Peter Root and Mary Thompson, both 34, while they were riding their bikes in Chachoengsao's Phanom Sarakham district.

The pickup truck driver told police that his vehicle hit the British couple while he was reaching down to pick up something.

The Guernsey couple's bodies are being kept at Phanom Sarakham Hospital.

Tribute to inspirational artists Peter Root & Mary Thompson
    Posted on Feb 17, 2013
    Two invaluable artists and people Mary Thompson and Peter Root have sadly passed away. Both were inspirational, innovative and generous artists based in Guernsey and the UK who brought joy to many through their art and through their kindness. Both were incredibly talented; Mary with installation, drawing, jewellery and Pete with digital mapping art, intricate sculptures, and audio installations to name but a few.

Video Cycling Central Asia: http://vimeo.com/56917615

Last edited by trabant; 18-02-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trabant
    they were headed to Bangkok having crossed into Sa Kaeo province at Aranyaprathet,
    Only the deranged or foolhardy would be stupid enough to actually cycle in Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee
    Riding a bicycle near Bangkok
    nasty but they were not in Bangkok

killed in an accident in Chachoengsao province
    no doubt a friend or relative will start up a blog stating how dangerous it is to cycle in Thailand, and why didn't the FCO warn them?

Just bad luck they were hit by a stupid truck driver

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    They made it though lots of "sh*thole" developing countries.. Iran Uzbekistan, Vietnam with reletivly dangerous roads etc etc

Nothing on the scale of the braindead chickenhead thai though

Out there...
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by trabant View Post

The accident occurred on Friday at about 2.30pm when a pickup truck ran over Peter Root and Mary Thompson, both 34, while they were riding their bikes in Chachoengsao's Phanom Sarakham district.

The pickup truck driver told police that his vehicle hit the British couple while he was reaching down to pick up something.
    Don't know what to say.

What a tragic and totally avoidable end.

This guy needs removing from the gene pool. He should never be allowed to breed.

Last Online
    11-04-2024 @ 10:24 AM
    The accident occurred on Friday at about 2.30pm when a pickup truck ran over Peter Root and Mary Thompson, both 34, while they were riding their bikes in Chachoengsao's Phanom Sarakham district. The pickup truck driver told police that his vehicle hit the British couple while he was reaching down to pick up something.
    Despite being in broad daylight and judging from the photo, wearing high visibility gear.
    Still not enough to counter the stupidity of this truck driver.

RIP to both these poor souls.
    Last edited by Exige; 18-02-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Thailand - Hub of Retards

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    21-09-2018 @ 03:15 PM

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:57 PM
    Driving without due care and attention,eh?
    Whodda thunk it. With no family and both victims dead the chicken head will get off lightly and no compensation to pay.Probably might even wai a tree in thanks for the fact neither survived.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
    Very sad end to this couple's adventure. RIP.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Only the deranged or foolhardy would be stupid enough to actually cycle in Bangkok other than on pavements
    You are having a larf ??

Last time I was in BKK you could hardly walk on the pavements amongst the cauldrons of boiling oil + T shirts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information