Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online
    04-12-2016 @ 04:04 PM

Tesco Express leveling mom 'n' pops :o(

No longer content with prime retail locations like high streets, TE is now moving onto busy backstreets.

One opened near me last month and out of 10 mom 'n' pop stores, only 2 remain. One of them being part of a small (Thai-Chinese) chain itself, the other barely clinging on.

And if that don't beat all, TE informs the police of any local store that sells alcohol outside of the designated hours.

Cheap and nasty. I won't be using TE again in a hurry.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick
    TE is now moving onto busy backstreets.
    Likely near a 7/11. Competition is not so bad. Just had a new Tesco open near me. It already had a 7/11. Mom and pop shops have adapted and not going out of biz here.

Last Online
    @
    As much as it pains me, I use the Tesco Express in my area. It's the only place I can get fresh milk that doesn't go off or a loaf of bread that doesn't turn green within two days. The locals just don't have the system to keep a good stock of perishable items.

Other goods I can buy from a locally owned supermarket that beats Tesco on variety and price. They hold up pretty well against the big guys who are right next door.

The local fresh market has recently been cleaned up, so fresh produce is available from local vendors again. One can shop now without feeling the urge to puke from the awful smells of poor hygiene.

Last Online
    12-05-2020 @ 12:15 AM
    one just opened on koh chang i think

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    I saw them all over Koh Samui the last time I was there- two full-sized Tesco outlets and four or five (at least) Express versions- they're taking over.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-05-2023 @ 10:57 AM
    Mom n Pop need to clean their act up and get some variety of goods in at the right price then everyone will shop with them.

Last Online
    @
    I think the only thing that keeps many moms and pops in business is the off hours alcohol sales.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit
    The local fresh market has recently been cleaned up, so fresh produce is available from local vendors again. One can shop now without feeling the urge to puke from the awful smells of poor hygiene.
    Same here. Was a mess until Tesco opened. Tesco in this regard was a big plus. The other shops adapted by selling stuff not available in Tesco or the fresh market.

euston has flown

Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 03:12 AM
    To be honest its the 7/11 that started the obliteration of the small mom/pop stores, something that has happened with little complaint after all everything the CP group do is for the good of the country.

Tesco Express is more of a threat to these 7/11, something that cannot be tolerated.

Saying that tesco are one of the most, if not the most, unpleasantly ruthless companies in the UK and I would imagine they have brought that ruthlessness to thailand. The most important rule when trading with tesco is to always ensure you can survive loosing their custom, once you are dependent upon them they will screw you into bankruptcy.
    Teakdoor CSI, TD's best post-reality thinkers

featuring Prattmaster ENT, Prattmaster Dapper and PrattmasterPseudolus

Dedicated to uncovering irrational explanations to every event and heroically
    defending them against the onslaught of physics, rational logic and evidence

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Before TE opened in Ban Dung there was the usual ranting about the market dissapearing etc and the local shops ,, however I have noticed everytime I use it plenty of locals in it ,, also go in there about 7pm any night and the local ol gals have cottoned on they can buy luxurious amounts of fish etc 15 bht for massive fish reduced to clear the shelves ,, I reckon now they would kick off if it closed
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

Last Online
    This must be hurting Makro. Fewer mom 'n' pops = less wholesale business.

What gets me is that Marko doesn't seem to have any sort of contingency in place.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick
    This must be hurting Makro. Fewer mom 'n' pops = less wholesale business.
    Sure it must to a degree but the one in Roiet is packed.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    Mom n' Pop can't clean up their act. They will continue doing things the only way they know how and it won't be good enough for people's increasing expectations. They will go the way of the dinosaur. With ASEAN opening up, one of the concerns is that many other chains will be opening up and increasing competition. All local Thai brands like TE and 711 are increasing the number of stores built per year over the next 5 years to get a head start on the outside competitors that are standing in line to open here. Mom n' Pop don't have a chance, and the same goes for hardware stores, electronics shops, kitchen supplies, etc.

The rise of convenience stores | Bangkok Post: learning
    Eat more Cheezy Poofs!

Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BugginOut View Post
    and the same goes for hardware stores, electronics shops, kitchen supplies, etc.
    Never been to a kitchen supply store although there are at least 4 big ones on Rama 4 or maybe they would be term upscale kitchen or even bakery equipment stores.

Local hardware stores will always be here because no one want s to ride/drive/travel to Home Pro/ Thai Watsadu etc. just to buy a handful of screws or a piece of plastic pipe. Almost no one does DIY here and the local Mr. Fixit guys have to buy their stuff locally.
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hazz
    tesco are one of the most, if not the most, unpleasantly ruthless companies in the UK
    I don't see why they are worse than any other

their business model is to move in, sell at cheap prices, get rid of the competition and then put prices higher

normal practice

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    22-09-2018 @ 07:53 AM
    Here in Patong Makro opened yesterday. It is right opposite a Tesco Rotus and a By 7. Family opened a month or so ago just along the road and all seem Ito be doing ok. The only real issue is the delivery lorries...Nanai Rd is congested enough as it is without the amount of lorries needed to feed a Makro each day.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    16-02-2015 @ 12:11 PM
    My SIL. had a mom and pop bought a franchise 7/11 and has the bigest in the aria , after changing her shop house to 7/11 24h.
    7/11 did the refit and on her treble shop house and after 10yrs its all hers .
    The place is a gold mine she is well minted.

Last Online
    @
    There's a Tesco express bottom of suk soi 24 200 meters away there is a Mega Tesco Lotus.Too much choice cos across the road from that is a Mega Big C,still prefer to shop at Klong Toey market though.

euston has flown

Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 03:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hazz
    tesco are one of the most, if not the most, unpleasantly ruthless companies in the UK
    I don't see why they are worse than any other

their business model is to move in, sell at cheap prices, get rid of the competition and then put prices higher

normal practice
    true enough but in the uk they have a few other habits

once they know that you are dependent on their orders for your companies survival they will do a few things which are not really that typical of uk businesses

they check your accounts at company house and then tell you how much of your profits you are going to give back to them. when they give money to charity or good causes they will often call round their suppliers and tell them the fraction they will pay. say no and its the last order you get from them.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Customers walk into Tesco's of their own free will. Tesco's must be doing something right.

Last Online
    18-07-2020 @ 11:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick View Post
    No longer content with prime retail locations like high streets, TE is now moving onto busy backstreets.

One opened near me last month and out of 10 mom 'n' pop stores, only 2 remain. One of them being part of a small (Thai-Chinese) chain itself, the other barely clinging on.

And if that don't beat all, TE informs the police of any local store that sells alcohol outside of the designated hours.
    Good.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Tesco started out as a market stall by a jewish man Cohen. Hence the CO in Tesco.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Tesco is taking over Thailand and will continue to do so. No different than WalMart in the US who have closed many local businesses. I would rather see more competition than the big companies coming in and wiping out all competition.

I once owned a small pharmacy and had to close because there was a chain pharmacy close by and they undercut my business. Once I was gone, their prices went back up above what I was charging. Because of that, I am not a big fan of that tactic, but do understand it is how big business is done.

The small mom and pop business will continue to spring up in the rural areas where they close due to lack of keeping stock or twenty other individuals build the same kind of shop right next to them. Moral, don't own a mom and pop shop in Thailand.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Tesco started out as a market stall by a jewish man Cohen. Hence the CO in Tesco.
    T E S Cohen, no less.

Dame Shirley Porter ('c' word permitted) is related to him!

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post

I once owned a small pharmacy and had to close because there was a chain pharmacy close by and they undercut my business. Once I was gone, their prices went back up above what I was charging. Because of that, I am not a big fan of that tactic, but do understand it is how big business is done.
    This tactic is called "predatory pricing". In the UK, I understood it was illegal under Monopolies and Mergers legislation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information