Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    euston has flown

Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 03:12 AM

Is pepsi panicking over Thai bev's est

Pepsi so seem to have got themselves fucked over recently with their new bottling operation. They seem unable to make cans anymore, which has been a big seller in MIL's hobby shop and its going to be hurting them if thats repeated round the country.

Now a few weeks ago they started selling a smaller bottle that is clearly a replacement for these cans. MIL's been buying it at the same priace as a can 10B and selling it at the 14B of a can. They have just put the price of the cans up 0.8B to 10.8B and stamped a price of 12B on the bottles.....

seems like a classic sony move. pepsi seem want to make more money from their product and retail it for less. by eating 75% of the retailers margin. Is this pepsi running scared os thia bev and est and wanting to compete on price?

Are thai shop keepers going to fall for this little trick or will they stop selling pepsi or sell the bottles at a higher price and risk a 140k fine?
    Teakdoor CSI, TD's best post-reality thinkers

featuring Prattmaster ENT, Prattmaster Dapper and PrattmasterPseudolus

Dedicated to uncovering irrational explanations to every event and heroically
    defending them against the onslaught of physics, rational logic and evidence

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    140k fine from who? For what?

euston has flown

Last Online
    Apparently if a product has a retail price stamped on it, it is illegal to sell it for more and thats the fine you can face. The reality would be nothing would happen or you would get touched for bribe.... the latter being something the family do.

I guess its there as a tool to prevent gouging when there are shortages.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-11-2023 @ 10:30 AM
    I remember coke tins 'stamped' at 10 baht...
    I don't think it's anything new but I see where you're coming from.
    Charley.

euston has flown

Last Online
    ^thats a super short can thats about 250ml, which also comes with a 1B margin. We bought a pile for the catering at FIL's funeral, Ms hazz wanted all the drinks to be the same size can or carton. MIL only sells the normal sized can which costs 11B and sells for 14B

whats been interesting, in a very sad way, is that very few of the pepsi drinkers have gone to coke, about half don't by anyhting if the pepsi's not there and the others buy something else with a 3B margin. getting 100% of sales at 1B margin less profitable than getting 50% at 3B, something so obvious to me MIL had to point it out

Last Online
    @
    Est has been pushed out of a lot of the shops near me. They claim is it More to the Thai taste (it's in their marketing relentlessly apparently) but they were bottlers and did make the syrup so on the basis that it tastes like the cheapest nastiest cola around, it's a fair bet that they went to china and bought a tanker full of the lowest price crap available. I saw big C kicking the dross out at a stupidly low special price recently.

My guess would be a high profile celeb endorsement from Pepsi soon, to try to pull back the market share from Coke who doubtless have pulled in some more punters recently.

....wish someone would bring Dr Pepper here though....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I can see Pepsi going the way of Carlsberg in this country. Thai Bev (once Carlsberg, then Chang brewers) have just completed the takeover of Serm Suk, which strangely did not renew it's long term bottling & distribution contract with Pepsico. As Pepsi becomes harder to find, will this new product called 'Thepsi' appear on the shelves I wonder.

Already happening actually. I certainly wouldn't want to be Thai Bev's dance partner.

euston has flown

Last Online
    ^^I love Dr pepper, I used to work for a bit of Cadburys that they spun off to as management buy out raise money to buy dr pepper. by the time Cadburys sold off dr pepper they had lost money and we had made 30 times our money. tastes like very nasty dandelion and burdock.

Like everyone I know Ive tried it once and thought it taste like dishwater.... never again, flat and missing flavour. coke and pepsi do contain some essential oils which cost more than 50 USD per ml, your not going to use that unless its important for taste and its something that I could imagine some clever chap at thai bev dropping to save a small fortune.

I do know someone who thinks EST is really good and does actually drink it, but then even by PAD standards they are a ultra jingoistic nutter.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    cheapest nastiest cola around
    Sure is. Execrable Shitty Taste.

ding ding ding
    Last Online
    @
    I would rather drink the sweat from your balls than est.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I have no compunction in going against the heavily advertised and marketed consumption wishes of 'Big Bottling', none whatsoever.
    But I would find it a lot easier to do so if the local rip-offs did not habitually take a bad product to begin with, and make it even worse.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hazz
    whats been interesting, in a very sad way
    well, hardly even that

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-11-2023 @ 10:30 AM
    What we need over here is Dandellion and Burdock,Tizer.

euston has flown

Last Online
    Ive been working on dandilion and burdock, but not got the taste right yet

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by hazz View Post
    Ive been working on dandilion and burdock, but not got the taste right yet
    Still palatable then?

euston has flown

Last Online
    Palitable, but I have yet to make anything like fentimens dandelion and burdock which is where I want to be. Its a back burner project as its ginger beer that I am interested in

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    do proper ginger beer, fermented and fizzy

Last Online
    Today @ 10:31 AM
    Without a doubt EST is a Coke surrogate. What better way to increase Coke market share than have EST develop the worst tasting cola ever, make it look like a Pepsi and advertise as better than Pepsi. After up chucking the free EST locals will be off to the nearest Coke supplier to wash the shit taste from their mouth.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect,"

euston has flown

Last Online
    ^whilst that may well be the practial outcome, somehow I think it might not be thai bev's intention. I suspect that thai bev simply believe that people will by lots of shit, if you market it lots with celebs etc.

^^The ginger beer i am doing at the mo is force carbonated with lovely co2 fresh from the gas wells of PTT.... well fresh as in fresh out the ground, but 300 million years old. I do do some fermentation to make traditional ginger beer, but thats in the 10-20l batch range and I am making smaller batches to play with flavours.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-10-2020 @ 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hazz View Post
    Pepsi so seem to have got themselves fucked over recently with their new bottling operation. They seem unable to make cans anymore, which has been a big seller in MIL's hobby shop and its going to be hurting them if thats repeated round the country.

Now a few weeks ago they started selling a smaller bottle that is clearly a replacement for these cans. MIL's been buying it at the same priace as a can 10B and selling it at the 14B of a can. They have just put the price of the cans up 0.8B to 10.8B and stamped a price of 12B on the bottles.....

seems like a classic sony move. pepsi seem want to make more money from their product and retail it for less. by eating 75% of the retailers margin. Is this pepsi running scared os thia bev and est and wanting to compete on price?

Are thai shop keepers going to fall for this little trick or will they stop selling pepsi or sell the bottles at a higher price and risk a 140k fine?

When you purchase price marked products from Coke- Cola or Pepsi they normally discount the price to the retailers advantage.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    You are so fortunate to be able to purchase Est. We cannot yet get it here. Have to get a friend on holiday to bring a case back.
    Iron Bru the drink from Scotland is the best. Does Est come close to it?

Last Online
    19-06-2015 @ 07:24 PM
    The EST manufactures claim their cola is a combination of cola and root beer, that is why is tastes so crappy. The EST orange and cream (green color) not so bad but very sweet

Plastic is much cheaper than aluminum that is why many bottlers are switching to smaller plastic bottles and doing away with aluminum cans

You have noticed with bottled water, the plastic bottle is getting much thinner as bottlers try to squeeze additional baht profit out of each bottle. Less plastic in the bottle makes it cheaper to manufacture while selling wholesale at the same price

Many small operators I see buy Pepsi and other drinks from Macro, Tesco etc then resell

However, all you need to do is contact the nearest Pepsi or Coke truck driver in your area and they will deliver direct for 9 baht a can

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    You are so fortunate to be able to purchase Est. We cannot yet get it here. Have to get a friend on holiday to bring a case back.
    It's nothing like Irn Bru. Like comparing Eggnog with Champagne

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    27-02-2020 @ 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin View Post
    I would rather drink the sweat from your balls than est.
    I'll be entering you local sauna place in an hour or, your welcome for a drop or two of my sweat.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    27-02-2020 @ 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    It's nothing like Irn Bru. Like comparing Eggnog with Champagne
    best drink with a fish and chips before a massive spliff down in brixton ( god those homeless days)
    est is just some cheap shit drink, period
    not even as close as the shit Dr Pepper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information