Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuk TUK scams

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.

Tuk TUK scams

Never knew it was so bad!

Someone put a site together with a list that defies description. The Canadian Brit and Dutch Ambassadors complained to the new governor, who told them everything was under control and no problems.

The list suggests otherwise
    Phuket tuk tuk drivers,black plate taxis- mafia, extortion, violence, black plate taxis

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    The governor of Phuket has a lot to answer for.
    His "Watch" is by far the very worst display of criminality directed at tourists within the countries borders.

Last Online
    @
    Cripes - no wonder the ruskies are using their own taxis.

Last Online
    19-06-2015 @ 07:24 PM
    No one ever answers to anything, it only gets worse and worse

Banned

Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liveinlos
    Answer for what?

Tourists who know before they arrive in Phuket that transportation costs among other necessities for travel about are not only over priced, but dangerous as well.

Russians looking for sympathy is ridiculous.

If you don't like the price try another vacation spot. Do your protest with your feet! Don't visit Thailand period.

Elite Mumbler
    Last Online
    @
    PHUKET: Thailand's Army should be called in to end the taxi and tuk-tuk rip-offs of tourists on Phuket, a meeting heard yesterday.
    ''The problem cannot be solved in any other way,'' said tour company representative Trakul Jullanon. ''It's time to call in the Army,'' he told Vice Governor Dr Sommai Preechasin at Provincial Hall in Phuket City.
    First good solution I've heard so far.

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by liveinlos
    Answer for what?

Tourists who know before they arrive in Phuket that transportation costs among other necessities for travel about are not only over priced, but dangerous as well.

Russians looking for sympathy is ridiculous.

If you don't like the price try another vacation spot. Do your protest with your feet! Don't visit Thailand period.

FAir enough. Cost of a Taxi in London or Paris will make your hair curl.

But this is far more than cost of rides. It is anarchy and a violent no one can touch us attitude. The only thing that will work is a mass boycott. But that will never happen.

Banned

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing into trouble
    But this is far more than cost of rides. It is anarchy and a violent no one can touch us attitude. The only thing that will work is a mass boycott. But that will never happen.
    As long as the cash cows keep coming it won't stop for sure.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    31-10-2014 @ 08:22 AM
    Only the uninformed would go to Phuket

Really nothing there worth a trip

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post

I really abhor the attitude but still great plaes around and about Phuket. The problem is is that because of the riches that can be gained no one is willing to put a stop to it. Even the resorts building on the beaches or park lands are being allowed to stay. The island will become a wild west Costa Fortune or El Passo of Asia in a decade.

Sad and very scary at the same time.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    ^

Sad and scary ... can't ask for a more desirable vacation spot

would make a nice travel brochure tag line

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    It is so built up now and increasingly crowded around the beaches and "remaining beauty spots".

Last Online
    28-05-2018 @ 05:19 PM
    mate has bar in karon bought himself a bus and runs his customers around the spots dont charge for it but customers always in the bar and send friends to him nice job of networking.

i refuse to use tuk tuks rather give a bar girl 500 to take me over to patong and back and often do

Last Online
    07-02-2020 @ 10:49 PM
    First thing I do whenever we visit Thailand is rent a car with full insurance for the length of our stay.
    Usually around 1.000 baht a day including the option of picking it up at one place and dropping it off at another.

Never had any problems with the tuktuk guys while driving a rented vehicle on Phuket.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post

Its a beautiful island with wonderful beaches and great food, good international hospitals, plenty of activities on land an the water and shopping galore

All u have it do is
    1. never rent a jet ski
    2. dont take a tuk tuk, ( rent a bike or car)
    3. Bargin at small shops an do ur research for prices before hand

99.9% of people that travel to Phuket have a wonderful time and return that repeat business is what keeps phuket strong for a vacation.

As far as crowded beaches sure if u only go to patong or Surin. Head to Nai yung or layan beach
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol or insanity, but they've always worked for me" HST

View my pics

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Its a beautiful island with wonderful beaches and great food, good international hospitals, plenty of activities on land an the water and shopping galore
    you must be fucking deaf dumb and blind then.

it is an overpopulated, overdeveloped, overpriced and overrated shithole.

it is not tourist friendly, it is run by gangsters, legalised and otherwise. foreigners despite the smiling welcome are no more than cash cows for the greedy extortionists who make up the primary contacts for the tourists. they dont care what sort of experience you have there, so long as they get their money. few places in the world exhibit such rampant greed, scamming and profiteering, yet the authorities local and national are impotent to stop it.

the police are in on the thievery, and are a national disgrace. foreign diplomatic representatives, despite their concerned bleating, would rather keep their heads down than say anything that might offend the authorities there, who must be amazed that even years down the line, foolish and gullible tourists are still arriving like hapless lemmings to be preyed upon by avaricious scum.

any beauty that may have existed on the island has been concreted over, bespoiled by trash and unsightly developments. the food is overpriced tourist mush, nothing more, likewise the shopping. its just shit, shit and more shit.

the story of phuket is a masterclass in how unregulated tourism, unregulated development and unregulated service providers have turned a once pristine island into a crime ridden greed infested cesspit that will probably continue to attract low rent bottom end mass tourism sheep with more money than sense for years to come.

I'm in Jail
    Last Online
    12-06-2021 @ 11:13 PM
    yeah, it's pretty bad

it was bad last time I was there in 2007 and I could only see getting it worse with everything they were getting away with

once a monkey is given freedom, he will destroy or shit all over your place

I'm in Jail
    Last Online
    12-06-2021 @ 11:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile
    it is not tourist friendly, it is run by gangsters
    that's exactly it, nothing else

the story of phuket is a masterclass in how unregulated tourism, unregulated development and unregulated service providers have turned a once pristine island into a crime ridden greed infested cesspit that will probably continue to attract low rent bottom end mass tourism sheep with more money than sense for years to come.
    indeed, never undestimate the stupidity of tourists and the size of the low end mass market, they can still run that scam for decades

Banned

Last Online
    So do you think this condition is symptomatic of all of Thailand or just Phuket?

There is no "PLAN." typically Thai.

As for regulations: That's the attraction, lack thereof.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 11:02 AM
    wow; such bitterness;

Too many people equate Patong with all of Phuket, ITS NOT

I live here ( since 1984) an admit it has gotten out of hand, ( way to many resorts under construction and new condos ) and the scams and the mafia runs the island but its still a great place to live an visit. Otherwise why do some many tourists visit an return year in year out?

AS to shopping, its the same in bangkok, pattaya everywhere i agree nothing for me, but than pray tell where in Thailand is there good shopping and for what??

Been to Pattaya lately, especially out in Jomtien and seen the construction all the way down the coast?
    Last edited by Phuketrichard; 12-01-2013 at 11:21 AM.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by pescator
    First thing I do whenever we visit Thailand is rent a car with full insurance for the length of our stay. Usually around 1.000 baht a day including the option of picking it up at one place and dropping it off at another.
    What rental co you recommend, foreign I would guess

How do you know you are actually insured?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Too many people equate Patong with all of Phuket, ITS NOT
    for 95% of foreign tourists, it is.

they would never venture too far out of those areas. there are no easy public bus services, for tourists the songthaews and local buses are rather forbidding, and to take a taxi or tuk tuk, well thats what this topic is all about. its either get on a tour coach with all that that entails, or stay around the resort with all that that entails.

thai visitors might have driven down, although its unlikely many will drive down from bangkok or further north, they will fly in, and i suppose the taxi rip offs are just as bad for them. even with renting a motorcycle, for most, the roads are not exactly friendly or safe for longer exploratory trips, and at night they are even worse.

no, its a shithole. it has nothing of any substance. it has only only sun, beer, mafia and prostitutes.

you might live in a decent area, but package tourists will not see too much of that. they will roast on the beaches, roam the bars in packs, shag the skanks and the transvestites, pay the scammers and then return to their miserable lives back in huddersfield, milwaukee, vladivostok and delhi thinking they have been to an exotic destination.

its a place for stupid people to go and do what they are best at, ... being stupid.

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    . it has only only sun, beer, mafia and prostitutes.
    What more could you want from a holiday ?

It also has a beautiful clear sea

Last Online
    08-09-2013 @ 01:22 PM
    What a focked up country. Girlie men riding motorized 3 wheelers extorting and punching passengers actually being called "mafia". They would not be labeled shite back home.

Last Online
    05-03-2014 @ 08:48 AM
    The 5 star resorts are all busy and doing well, most 80% full
    Plenty of cheap accommodation around for those that want it
    When to Patong the other day and there were plenty of tourists around
    and only a few were chinese, quite busy for this time of year
    They were not using the tuk tuks just walking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information