Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Entertainer

I am in Jail

Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 11:06 PM

The Entertainer

He was in the village a couple of months back with three dancing monkeys,but when I say entertainer I meaner a chancer trying to knock out herbal potions.

Anyway walking the dog early evening I hear the P.A and spot the crowd so have wonder over for nose.
    Same feller with his misses but today he got a large python and a three foot iguana on the floor, he spouting on about what looks to me like just a clump of ginger and a bag of bark.

Not impressed myself but bell the wife to get up here and show the boys the large snake and lizard.
    Whilst waiting I spot a slatted box next to his truck with another snake that looks bigger than the python.

I was keen to crack on with me walk but also curious to know what his party trick was.
    When the wife turned up I got her to ask him and was shocked when she said it was a king Cobra.
    What the fuck can he do with that!.
    Through the wife I fired fuck knows how many questions at him,as I have so far only seen a dead one and it was not that big.
    With the python and iguana in their boxes he motioned for everyone to move back (not needed really )and opened the box with a stick.

Im not fucking joking it was the biggest snake I have seen outside of a zoo.
    What I could not work out was why it seemed so placid and pretty slow,thought they were aggressive fast Bastards that would be spitting and trying to attack.
    He only got it to rear up by holding about three quarters down and even then it only flared out and brought its head about two foot of the ground.
    He explained that this was a nice snake which was female and he acquired it as a baby
    I did find looking at the horrible fucker interesting although it just did not make any sense to me.
    I was expecting the feller to be constantly working the snake with hand and stick,not let it loose with very little interference.
    Seen the small Cobras in Goa getting charmed out of their baskets which from memory looked far more aggressive.

Its a new one on me Placid Cobra,but then all I know about snakes is to leave the Bastards alone!

We got any reptile man on the forum?.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-04-2023 @ 02:34 PM
    Not a snake man but I've been to the Cobra Village not far from Kranuan. Snakes are huge and I hope I never get near one.

I learned that they prefer to move away from people rather than attack if they are in an open space, and that they are at their most vulnerable immediately after they strike and their heads are on the floor. It takes a couple of seconds before they can raise their head before they can strike again. This accounts for why these guys can box them, and why mongooses are able to fight and kill them.

Why can't I make new posts?

I am in Jail

Last Online
    can123
    First live king cobra I have seen and hope not to bump into one on a walk.

I am aware most snakes would sooner flee than attack but was sure that a snake such as this should have been more aggressive.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    26-11-2020 @ 11:56 AM
    There is no such thing as a placid cobra and I don't care if the guy sat on the egg and he was the first thing the little bugger saw as it came out. You can' tame a snake.
    You might see a cobra that has just eaten and it might be what you might call PLACID but it's more likely tired and just wants to be left alone and just wants to rest.
    Eliminator
    1986 Kawasaki 900

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesend Dave
    I am aware most snakes would sooner flee than attack but was sure that a snake such as this should have been more aggressiv
    The cobras had to be provoked to attack but the snakes the young boys were fighting were very aggressive and needed no encouragement to chase and bite. I am certain that one of the kids was bitten at the show I saw. Obviously, they were non-venomous and were chosen to speed up the kids' reflexes in readiness for their careers as cobra boxers when they are older.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
    There is no such thing as a placid cobra and I don't care if the guy sat on the egg and he was the first thing the little bugger saw as it came out. You can' tame a snake.
    You might see a cobra that has just eaten and it might be what you might call PLACID but it's more likely tired and just wants to be left alone and just wants to rest.
    That,s what I thought, so maybe it had not long eaten there,s one theory.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by can123 View Post
    I am aware most snakes would sooner flee than attack but was sure that a snake such as this should have been more aggressiv
    The cobras had to be provoked to attack but the snakes the young boys were fighting were very aggressive and needed no encouragement to chase and bite. I am certain that one of the kids was bitten at the show I saw. Obviously, they were non-venomous and were chosen to speed up the kids' reflexes in readiness for their careers as cobra boxers when they are older.
    I know they milk the venom of snakes and am certain all cobras are venomous.
    Never seen a show like that but will have look when the chance arises.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I know they milk the venom of snakes and am certain all cobras are venomous.
    Never seen a show like that but will have look when the chance arises.
    Sorry, I didn't word my post carefully enough. The kids were fighting a different species of snake which was lighter in colour, thin and very fast.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-01-2022 @ 04:27 AM
    I was told the snakes they play with have their fangs removed ?

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    There are quite a few cobra handlers in LOS who have been tagged- even a 'milked' snake will retain enough venom to do some damage- it's not uncommon for someone bitten on their hand to lose the use of it- the muscles completely degenerate and they end up with a shriveled claw- nasty stuff.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
    HST

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    14-12-2023 @ 11:54 AM
    Sometimes the fangs are not removed. A relative of my wife's was putting on a snake show and got bitten on the top of his thumb by a king cobra. He (or perhaps one of his friends) immediately chopped off the top joint of his thumb. If you look it up, king cobras are a lot more poisonous than ordinary cobras (enough venom to kill 30 or 40 people), and sometimes lock on when they bite. Not many snakes do that. I met him and he was not bullshitting.....he had half a thumb.
    A few years later, he was doing another snake show and an ordinary cobra bit him on the tongue. (Apparently part of the show involves kissing the cobra on the top of the head....or pretending to do so). He slugged down some herbal medicine all snake men carry and dropped unconscious. His heart stopped 3 times on the way to (or perhaps in) the hospital. He said he couldn't speak for a year. Oh....and all his teeth fell out.
    I chatted with him and he spoke good English. Bit hard to understand sometimes because he didn't have his false teeth in. And occasionally he'd get a funny look and his eyes would roll slightly in an odd way....though my wife never noticed this. I guess the venom affected his eye muscles. Poor bugger's dead now.....cancer.
    Last edited by Latindancer; 10-01-2013 at 08:08 AM.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozzbie47 View Post
    I was told the snakes they play with have their fangs removed ?
    Don,t quote me on this but I thought snakes needed their fangs for feeding purposes also,i.e moving their pray backwards to be swallowed.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Latindancer View Post
    Sometimes the fangs are not removed. A relative of my wife's was putting on a snake show and got bitten on the top of his thumb by a king cobra. He (or perhaps one of his friends) immediately chopped off the top joint of his thumb. If you look it up, king cobras are a lot more poisonous than ordinary cobras (enough venom to kill 30 or 40 people), and sometimes lock on when they bite. Not many snakes do that. I met him and he was not bullshitting.....he had half a thumb.
    A few years later, he was doing another snake show and an ordinary cobra bit him on the tongue. (Apparently part of the show involves kissing the cobra on the top of the head....or pretending to do so). He slugged down some herbal medicine all snake men carry and dropped unconscious. His heart stopped 3 times on the way to (or perhaps in) the hospital. He said he couldn't speak for a year. Oh....and all his teeth fell out.
    I chatted with him and he spoke good English. Bit hard to understand sometimes because he didn't have his false teeth in. And occasionally he'd get a funny look and his eyes would roll slightly in an odd way....though my wife never noticed this. I guess the venom affected his eye muscles. Poor bugger's dead now.....cancer.
    Once bitten twice shy,that feller sounded like a right nutcase!

Still Thais do not comprehend the word caution.

Just for the record I have met Thais with missing fingers and thumbs,most common reason being careless use of power saws.

Be careful, no problem

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    they are quite rare and don't live near you

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliminator
    You can' tame a snake. You might see a cobra that has just eaten and it might be what you might call PLACID but it's more likely tired and just wants to be left alone and just wants to rest.
    depends what you mean by "tame", but snakes get used to handling and will not get frightened and aggressive when picked up

they quite like the warmth of the human body

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Latindancer
    Oh....and all his teeth fell out. I chatted with him and he spoke good English.
    maybe that should be part of the TEFLer training

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
    There are quite a few cobra handlers in LOS who have been tagged- even a 'milked' snake will retain enough venom to do some damage- it's not uncommon for someone bitten on their hand to lose the use of it- the muscles completely degenerate and they end up with a shriveled claw- nasty stuff.
    being a snake man must pay well and give a lot of face to the handler,but I agree nasty stuff,nasty Bastards!

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    they are quite rare and don't live near you
    I have seen one dead one hung on a barbed wire fence but think the natives have all but wiped them out.

Nice in a way as no one wants to be bitten but a shame because every thing has its place.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-11-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Thai people are taught from a young age to kill any snake they see venomous or not they dont take chances. At least from what I have seen.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by beazalbob69 View Post
    Thai people are taught from a young age to kill any snake they see venomous or not they dont take chances. At least from what I have seen.
    Not good!

Killed one so far a stripped one about a foot long which made me jump when clearing our land.
    I was told they are very venomous but have seen another which I just let slip away.

Pisses me of when people kill things for no other reason that it could be a threat.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesend Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beazalbob69 View Post
    Not good!

Killed one so far a stripped one about a foot long which made me jump when clearing our land.
    I was told they are very venomous but have seen another which I just let slip away.

Pisses me of when people kill things for no other reason that it could be a threat.
    Same here Dave. I am an animal lover. Had many snakes as pets when I was a child. I never just kill something out of ignorance. Wife on the other hand is absolutely terrified of snakes gets mad at me if I dont kill it. I still dont kill it just catch and relocate if it is harmless.
    I'm not saying it was Aliens, but it was Aliens!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-11-2023 @ 10:30 AM
    Nice thread Dave.
    I'm not into killing animals either.
    Here's a Golden tree snake that landed in my garden (they can fly) more of a 'glide' really.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-11-2023 @ 10:30 AM
    Here's a better pic of aforesaid fooker.

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    ^

Those can kill you by giving you a heart attack when they fly at your face if you get too close.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by charleyboy View Post
    Nice thread Dave.
    I'm not into killing animals either.
    Here's a Golden tree snake that landed in my garden (they can fly) more of a 'glide' really.

That is a beautiful snake! The color is amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information