Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am in Jail

Last Online
    05-01-2016 @ 03:54 PM
    I think you may find drug abuse in this country kills far more people, than anything else,
    1. the child in chains i referred to was more against the reporting of the journalist, and how ned expressed himself.
    2. read my post on singapore again, if you think singapore was a democracy read about LKY, i have not mentioned barbarity, i posted about torture in democratic USA

euston has flown

Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 03:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack
    I think you may find drug abuse in this country kills far more people, than anything else,
    To be honest I think you have no idea what the mortality rate from illegal drugs is, or even the mortality rate from cigarettes and alcohol. But seriously you really think this justifies butchering 2500 people in a few months in what essentially became a free government assignation service for people with a grudge? You are suffering from a very serious humanity defect, but like Mr T himself.

As mid quoted recently "none more blind than those who choose not to see"

I am in Jail

Last Online
    well mr Information Hazz why not tell us what the mortality rate is then, seen as you know everything i await with baited breath on your knowledge

Your becoming a joke now old man, come on tell us the info.

I see you have gone back to Thaksins war on drugs your a good debater or is that master baiter

Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Last Online
    23-03-2013 @ 04:22 AM
    I see the PAD yellow nutters are experiencing withdrawal symptoms again, must be time for their drugs again.

You can't argue with that

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-05-2013 @ 07:59 PM
    So, she hired the soothsayer and fortune teller that worked for Thaksin?

Now, there's a surprise.

"Thaksin thinks, PT acts" - right?

The irony is that if Thaksin had faced the music, done his two years of time, he'd be out by now and probably Prime Minister again. As it stands, if he's lucky, he'll die in one piece.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-05-2013 @ 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack View Post
    I think you may find drug abuse in this country kills far more people, than anything else
    So, you're in favor of assassination or political assassination, if the end justifies the means?

That's what I am seeing here.

euston has flown

Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 03:12 AM
    well mr Information Hazz why not tell us what the mortality rate is then, seen as you know everything i await with baited breath on your knowledge

Your becoming a joke now old man, come on tell us the info.

I see you have gone back to Thaksins war on drugs your a good debater or is that master baiter
    The point is that not only are you suggesting that state sponsored ex-judicial murder is a good thing, but you are attempting to justify it on a belief, on whose correctness you have absolutely no idea. you really are pitiful example of humanity.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Hazz your repeating yourself from another post, pretty boring really, stay living in your little cottage with the roses in the garden, and the rose coloured glasses and hey everything will be perfect.

Out there...
    Last Online
    @
    Stanley Weiss: The Oracle of Thailand

The Oracle of Thailand

Posted: 03/05/2013 7:01 pm

BANGKOK--Imagine for a minute that Hillary Clinton is elected president of the United States in 2016. Imagine that within days of being sworn into office, there are widespread rumors that her husband, former President Bill Clinton, is actually running the government. Imagine friends of the First Couple being quoted at dinner parties as saying, "Hillary cuts the ribbons, but Bill calls the shots." Imagine that one cabinet minister is so brazen with this information that he goes on record as saying, "If we've got any problem, we give Bill a call."

It sounds like a crazy way to lead a country. Well, not to most people here in Thailand, America's oldest ally in Asia. Remote leadership is currently its preferred form of government. As journalist Thomas Fuller has written, "For the past year and a half, by the party's own admission, the most important political decisions in this country of 65 million have been made from abroad, by a former prime minister who has been in self-imposed exile since 2008 to escape corruption charges."

Here, it's not a husband and wife story -- but rather, brother and sister. Officially, Yingluck Shinawatra -- who very publicly charmed President Barack Obama during an official visit here last fall -- is the prime minister. But it is her brother, exiled former prime minister and Thai billionaire Thaksin Shinawatra, who calls the shots via Skype and cell phone from his homes in Dubai and London. Part of the reason the power-sharing works is that the same brilliant advisor is close to both.

His name is Pansak Vinyaratn. Dubbed "Thaksin's Oracle" in U.S. diplomatic dispatches revealed by the website "Wikileaks," Pansak served as chief political advisor to Thaksin and serves as chief policy advisor to Yingluck. He has been at the heart of a strategy that has transformed rural East Thailand into an economic powerhouse -- a transformation that U.S. businesses, almost entirely absent here, would do well to learn about.

When I speak with him in his office, he's quick to explain the secret of Thaksin's success.

"A famous Cornell professor once lived in Northeast Thailand and came up with a term to describe the people there: cosmopolitan villagers," Pansak tells me. "When the Thai party first started 11 years or so with Thaksin, we researched the northeast and found a net positive income -- not from rice, but from other activities. Thai people in the northeast have more passports than Bangkok Chinese. They work in Gulf States and are cosmopolitan. We found that info and no one else cared."

When Thaksin first took office in 2001, northeast Thailand was considered a remote and arrested part of the country, with half of the population below the poverty line.

The great innovation of Thaksin and Pansak (along with U.S.-trained academic Somkid Jatusripitak) was "the increased role of government in the allocation of credit," as Chulalongkorn University Professor Pasuk Phongpaichit writes. But not just anywhere: "Thaksinomics" focused the government's attention on the poor and rural areas of Thailand. Arguing that "a country is a company and a company is a country," the self-described "CEO Prime Minister" approached the national economy like a business, looking for ways, as Pasuk explains, to "mobilize any dormant or unexploited assets including unused natural resources and neglected human resources."

Tapping unused reserves of credit in the state banking system, the team created one rural credit fund after another. To lower household expenses, they offered low-cost housing and health insurance; provided subsidized credit for buying taxis and provided loans for children to get to school.

As a result, the northeast corridor is one of the fastest-growing economies in the world. An investment banker based in the area tells me incredulously, "I went to the northeast and stayed at the Pullman Hotel and out front there were a bunch of Lamborghinis -- all owned by locals there."

"The northeast keeps developing," says Pansak. "They have a more independent structure and exports are going straight to airfields. And VAT (tax) collection there has gone up by double digits. It's a huge success story."

"But," he adds, "The Thai elite refuse to admit this success."

Indeed, while becoming the first Prime Minister in history to focus on the needs of the poor, Thaksin alienated the Bangkok elite, the judiciary and the military -- who ousted him in 2006 in a bloodless coup. It sparked four years of increasingly hostile confrontations between supporters ("red shirts") and critics ("yellow shirts") that saw four changes of government and street protests that left nearly 100 dead. Self-exiled to Dubai, Thaksin was sentenced in absentia for graft. Five years later, his party reformed with Yingluck at the top of the ticket. With the formerly poor of the rural northeast making up the country's largest voting bloc, the party rolled to victory.

Now that the poor and rural populations have awakened, there may be no turning back. "Thaksin let the genie out of the bottle," a senior Western official tells me. "The northeast is tapped in and now awakened."

The only ones seemingly not tapped in to that success is the United States.

"The U.S. Chamber here is about 700 members, but most of them aren't U.S. companies," said a retired navy man who works on local development projects. "The Thais wanted to buy from a U.S. firm and we set up a call. They called back with their lawyer and I told them that this isn't how you do business here -- you need to come here and talk, not start by talking about legal things. The Thais have the money and will spend it now. Americans aren't ready to compete here."

One Western reporter thinks America should focus on a different kind of export. "Obama should hire Pansak to help create jobs in America," he says. "He's the brain trust of the government. A lot of Thaksin's successful policies came from him. We could use an oracle in Washington."

Maybe he can take a page from his old boss and Skype his ideas to the White House.

Stanley Weiss is founding chairman of Business Executives for National Security (a non-partisan organization of senior executives who contribute their expertise in the best practices of business to strengthening national security). This article is a personal comment.
    "Slavery is the daughter of darkness; an ignorant people is the blind instrument of its own destruction; ambition and intrigue take advantage of the credulity and inexperience of men who have no political, economic or civil knowledge. They mistake pure illusion for reality, license for freedom, treason for patriotism, vengeance for justice."-Simón Bolívar

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    ^ issan is an economic powerhouse filled with cosmopolitan villagers?

Not according to Slaps its not.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by StrontiumDog
    "The northeast keeps developing," says Pansak. "They have a more independent structure and exports are going straight to airfields
    Nice. But what exports, what airfields? There is a lack of export producing industry and infrastructure outside of Bangkok and central Thailand. Can anyone name one large export- besides agricultural commodities- manufactured anywhere outside of central Thailand? I can't, anyway.

As far as amerka missing the bus goes, they are not alone-

Australians slow to grab slice of $67b Thai infrastructure overhaul

Read more: Australians slow to grab slice of $67b Thai infrastructure overhaul

He is right in one regard though- the NE is developing, and fast.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    this "opinion" must have been written by takkys pet spin doctor

"I went to the northeast and stayed at the Pullman Hotel and out front there were a bunch of Lamborghinis -- all owned by locals there."
    yeah , right - is there a kilometer of road in the northeast which is smooth enough to drive a lambo ?

A famous Cornell professor once lived in Northeast Thailand
    famous ? who ?

said a retired navy man who works on local development projects.
    is this the bloke from pattaya , a mate of noise ? I think his name is banks - drummond has mentioned him before

Quote Originally Posted by sabang
    Can anyone name one large export- besides agricultural commodities
    well it is not even rice anymore - takky fcuked that right up

Imagine that one cabinet minister is so brazen with this information that he goes on record as saying, "If we've got any problem, we give Bill a call."
    but the karaoke hostess is not a puppet ............
    If you torture data for enough time , you can get it to say what you want.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    What are you doing to ensure democracy continues to flourish
    Expressing my opinions on the failings of this givernment to deliver on its election promisses and discussing the dangers of populerist policies to both the national economy and the democratic process.

While never straying too far from the observation that this government is the puppet of a fugetive from the laws he believes he is not subject to.

Open discussion on matters of politicsl, social and legal importance - a corner stone of democracy and one of the surest means of encouraging and protecting democracy.

That is real democracy, not the democracy of puppet governments, vote buying and rent-a-mob street violence.
    With respect Itchy ,You are not allowed to have your own opinion if it conflicts with the Thaksin "brown nose" brigade on this forum !

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Hazz your repeating yourself from another post, pretty boring really, stay living in your little cottage with the roses in the garden, and the rose coloured glasses and hey everything will be perfect.
    Its so so easy to repeat the truth , thats why they say to be a good liar you have to have a good memory

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by hazz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack
    To be honest I think you have no idea what the mortality rate from illegal drugs is, or even the mortality rate from cigarettes and alcohol. But seriously you really think this justifies butchering 2500 people in a few months in what essentially became a free government assignation service for people with a grudge? You are suffering from a very serious humanity defect, but like Mr T himself.

As mid quoted recently "none more blind than those who choose not to see"
    Hazz, What really annoys em when you quite rightly bring up Thaksins WOD is that they cannot prove you wrong

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    And what must really annoy you is that puppet Thailand is doing very well, thank you.

Whether Yingluck is her brothers puppet or not (or to whatever extent both were fronts for a good and competent set of advisers), the current political situation in Thailand is the best it's been in the seven years I've lived here. Admittedly, that's not exactly a high fence. But the economy is humming along pretty nicely, and at least what semblance of stability is afforded by having a legally and democratically elected puppetocracy allows the government to make some medium and long term infrastructural investments, as is happening now. I'll take that over coup and junta, anyday.

Last Online
    25-09-2015 @ 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    And what must really annoy you is that puppet Thailand is doing very well, thank you.

Whether Yingluck is her brothers puppet or not (or to whatever extent both were fronts for a good and competent set of advisers), the current political situation in Thailand is the best it's been in the seven years I've lived here. Admittedly, that's not exactly a high fence. But the economy is humming along pretty nicely, and at least what semblance of stability is afforded by having a legally and democratically elected puppetocracy allows the government to make some medium and long term infrastructural investments, as is happening now. I'll take that over coup and junta, anyday.
    I am not complaining too. I really enjoy the current lull and consumer confidence that generate to quite a pleasant business situation for my company. Started right during the coup year, I had few years of shaky business. If Yingluck thinks like Taksin, I say good for Thailand as they have good business acumen. Hope the peace and the economic successes continue and the Amart stop scheming.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    12-11-2017 @ 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi
    they cannot prove you wrong
    Why would anyone even try? All this proves is that "THAKSIN IS BAD".

No one disputes this. But since it is the only argument some of these people have ever had to make in their support of the military-royalist-bureaucrat status quo ante-Thaksin, we do hear a lot about it.

Means nothing.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    But the economy is humming along pretty nicely,
    maybe when they sell some rice and do not have to keep throwing money at the scheme - what will it be at the end of the year - 30-40 billion USD ? not counting the cost of warehousing the rotting collection

allows the government to make some medium and long term infrastructural investments
    you speak as if they have actually managed to borrow the money required to fund all this

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Overall agree on the rice pledging scheme- it is unsustainable long term, as is Thailands antiquated smallholder paddy system.
    But the infrastructure funding- not a problem. Thailand has less than half the level of gov't debt of the EU & US.
    Mid term, the jobs that will be thrown off the land have to be re-employed elsewhere. Where infrastructure leads, investment follows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information