Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Out there...
    Last Online
    @

Thailand, botched drug raids: Husband relives hell of wife's killing

Husband relives hell of wife's killing | Bangkok Post: news

Husband relives hell of wife's killing

The spouse of a 60-year-old woman shot by out of uniform police in a botched drug raid is after justice in what is not an isolated incident

Sujin Piboon has refused to cremate his wife, who he says would still be alive if only her killers had worn their uniforms.

EVIDENCE: Police examine bullet holes in the Honda Civic car belonging to Sujin Piboon.

Last month his wife of 40 years was shot dead by police officers during a botched drug bust in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

The 58-year-old mechanic says his wife, Sopha Piboon, who was 60 when she was killed, will not rest in peace until justice has been served.

The nationwide "War on Drugs" has spread to almost every corner of the country. Critics have pointed out that many innocents have been caught in the crossfire.

OUT FOR JUSTICE: Sujin Piboon speaks to reporters after his car was shot at by border patrol police officers who thought it contained a drug gang. His wife Sopha was killed in the incident.

Mr Sujin, who works for Siam Cement Group, vividly remembers every detail of the series of events that led to his wife's death on March 31.

From the SCG's cement plant where he works in Nakhon Si Thammarat's Thung Song district he drove his Honda Civic to Muang district where he picked up Sopha, who had been in town for a massage.

The couple later had dinner at a relative's house before heading to their home in Ron Phibun district.

As the couple neared their house, they saw a pickup truck with several fully armed young men on board pull over to the side of the road. The men flagged down the couple's car.

Mr Sujin said it was dark and, when total strangers wielding firearms tried to stop his car, the first thought that ran through his head was to escape.

"I was thinking they were bandits," he said.

Mr Sujin stepped on the gas and tried to outrun the pickup, which pursued them.

Multiple shots were then fired from the truck at his car.

After the defeaning sound of gunshots died down, Mr Sujin heard his wife cry out in pain. She had been hit from the back.

Mr Sujin was unhurt. He intended to drive to the nearest roadside police kiosk for help.

But this proved impossible his tyres had been blown out by the gunfire.

As his car ground to a halt, the men in the pickup called out that they were border patrol police officers.

"I hurried out of the car when I heard they were policemen. I needed help," he said. However, instead of helping, the officers ordered Mr Sujin to put his arms in the air and crouch on the ground.

''I pleaded with them to take my injured wife to hospital. But they yelled at me and demanded to know if I had hidden anyone or anything in my car,'' he said. ''I told them I drove away because I didn't realise they were police officers.''

The policemen rummaged through his car. When they saw he had concealed nothing, they helped get Sopha to the Ron Phibun Hospital but it was too late, and she was pronounced dead on arrival.

Local police told him the cops on the pickup truck were after a group of methamphetamine traffickers driving a car that looked like his on the same road.

''And the officers shot at us without checking. Is this how the police operate?'' Mr Sujin said.

There has been no apology from the police, he said. If the officers had worn their uniforms, he would have stopped his car, averting the tragedy.

Mr Sujin has vowed not to cremate Sopha until his family receives justice.

This is the second case in four months that police have been accused of excessive force against those they suspected of illicit drugs possession.

On Dec 27 last year, Phairot Saengrit, an engineer at a factory in Rayong, was shot dead by police during a drug crackdown in Sakon Nakhon's Muang district. Police claimed they discovered 198 speed pills in Phairot's underwear.

But Phairot's father, Songserm, did not believe his son was carrying the drugs and filed petitions to central authorities to intercede in the case.

The House committee on police affairs recently concluded that Sakon Nakhon police had overreacted and recommended the Royal Thai Police investigate the case.

Nakhon Si Thammarat police chief Pol Lt Gen Ronnapong Saikaew promised a full and fair investigation into Sopha's death.

The officers in the pickup were attached to the province's Border Patrol Unit 42.

The officers must accept responsibility or face arrest, he said, adding the police must be more careful when using their guns.

He conceded incidents like these have made the police's job of suppressing illicit drugs harder.

''Officers must wear the uniform to make themselves recognisable,'' Pol Lt Gen Ronnapong said.

Unit 42 chief Singhanart Sikakaew said the police had meant to shoot at the tyres of Mr Sujin's car to stop the vehicle. But the bullets strayed and inadvertently hit Sopha.

He insisted the police had followed proper procedures in mounting the attack.

However, the unit was ready to explain to the family that the officers were not attempting to take the law into their own hands.

Pol Lt Gen Ronnapong said intense drug suppression may actually perpetuate the drug trade.

The suppression had restricted supplies of illicit drugs, he said, pushing up their price. When the drugs fetch higher prices, more people are willing to take greater risks to traffic them.
    "Slavery is the daughter of darkness; an ignorant people is the blind instrument of its own destruction; ambition and intrigue take advantage of the credulity and inexperience of men who have no political, economic or civil knowledge. They mistake pure illusion for reality, license for freedom, treason for patriotism, vengeance for justice."-Simón Bolívar

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Sad story.
    I wish him luck.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by StrontiumDog View Post

''And the officers shot at us without checking. Is this how the police operate?'' Mr Sujin said.
    Yes, I am afraid this is how the jackals operate and it will continue unless citizens like youself take a stand, good luck wit that.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-05-2023 @ 10:57 AM
    A brave man to stand up against the police. I wish him luck.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    plenty of posters on TD to defend the WOD , wonder where they are ?

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by StrontiumDog
    ''Officers must wear the uniform to make themselves recognisable,'' Pol Lt Gen Ronnapong said.
    It really is that simple.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    If some goons in a pick-up flagged you down late at night would you stop??? I wouldn't.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-05-2023 @ 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo View Post
    If some goons in a pick-up flagged you down late at night would you stop??? I wouldn't.
    Not a chance in hell.

Last Online
    @
    Good lord. That could have happened to any one of us. Who in their right mind would have stopped for armed men on the highway?

Not much hope Mr. Sujin will see any justice done.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgen View Post
    Not a chance in hell.
    No way, night time, no uniforms and brandishing weapons. I would have tried to run them over.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-03-2020 @ 02:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StrontiumDog
    It really is that simple.
    Ok, good start, the officers involved are not murderers, but they also displayed at least gross incompetence and negligence and likely a use of excessive force. Now, come up with some appropriate discipline for the officers involved, especially the supervisor at the scene. Too bad if they lose face and suffer the humiliation they deserve.

My kind of town
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by rebbu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgen View Post
    Not a chance in hell.
    No way, night time, no uniforms and brandishing weapons. I would have tried to run them over.
    Night time, day time, early afternoon....whenever. The time would not matter, I would not stop.

Out there...
    Last Online
    @
    While we are on the subject, this from yesterday............

Police Legally Shoot and Kill “Ball Tonsai” Drug Dealing Charges | Pattaya Daily News - Pattaya Newspaper, Powerful news at your fingertips

Published : April 14, 2012 :: 07:04:58

Police Legally Shoot and Kill “Ball Tonsai” Drug Dealing Charges

Police acted in self defense and legally killed Ball Tonsai, who when confronted by the Police, during an undercover drug operation, fired a 9 mm handgun at the Officers.

PATTAYA – April 12, 2012 [PDN]; At 09.30, Pol. Lt. Gen. Panya Mamen, Commissioner Section 2, Pol. Col. Somneuk Jankate, Superintendent, Banglamung Police Station together with Chonburi Prosecutor, Doctor of Banglamung Hospital and Rescue Officer Sawangboribul Pattaya Foundation, went to inspect the corpse of a suspected thief that was killed legally by the Police after firing a pistol at Police Officers, as they were conducting a covert drugs operation. The incident occurred at a residence near to Moo 4 Tambon Takientia, Amphur Banglamung, Chonburi Province.

At the scene of the incident was the body of Mr. Niroot Yusabai, 24 years old, who was also known as Ball Tonsai. The body was located in a field near to the residence. The body had suffered gunshot wounds to the chest, chin, neck and shoulder a total of 4 gunshot wounds. Also found was that his right hand held a 9 mm handgun, which had 1 round left in the chamber. Upon searching the body, a quantity of Ya-Ice and 11 Amphetamine tablets were discovered hidden in his left trouser pocket. There was a gun holster on his right hip and 2 spent 9mm cartridges on the ground.

Pol. Col. Somneuk stated that Mr. Niroot Yusabai, had been killed, as he had fired his weapon at the attending Police Officers. He further stated that Mr. Niroot Yusabai was the main dealer of Amphetamines and Ya-Ice in the area and that the Police had acted in self defense as he fired upon the Officers first, as they were trying to make the arrest.

Banned
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Monkeyland.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-10-2014 @ 06:21 AM
    Either way you take the risk of getting shot at.

Last Online
    ^ not a good situation to be in, but I'd suggest that virtually everyone in Thailand would press their foot to the floor...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ not a good situation to be in, but I'd suggest that virtually everyone in Thailand would press their foot to the floor...
    Unfortunately the border police are really a law to themselves and are not the best organisation to man checkpoints or do random searches. It is incorrect to call them police as their command and training come from the army.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ True. But if they were not wearing uniforms as the husband says, this is gross negligence. Lets he hope gets some justice, and the cowboys in the BP are made to wear uniforms. We're not too far from the border here, and I see quite a few roadblocks- mostly for drugs, II's & smuggled wood. I've yet to see one manned by plain clothed goons though.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    the wild east.
    lil reminder of where you are guys.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DroversDog
    Unfortunately the border police are really a law to themselves
    Yes, they are reknowned for causing trouble and not caring.

Quote Originally Posted by sabang
    they were not wearing uniforms
    What chance the BP are a drug gang and were after another drug gang???

You hear so many bad stories about these border police/patrol that you would never trust them...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    ^ True. But if they were not wearing uniforms as the husband says, this is gross negligence. Lets he hope gets some justice, and the cowboys in the BP are made to wear uniforms. We're not too far from the border here, and I see quite a few roadblocks- mostly for drugs, II's & smuggled wood. I've yet to see one manned by plain clothed goons though.
    Who knows what the BP were doing there. Obviously they have gotten it sadly wrong, but I doubt whether they will be brought to task.

Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    It's tragic and I feel sorry for the guy but really that civic should have been able to get away from a pickup full of goons quite easily and get to a public place and stop? Bandits wouldn't have shot them in public.

FarangRed
    The chiefs subordinate should be the first one brought to task is he who autherised these goons to be out there probably dressed in black combat gear, in the night on an unlit road and whats the standard issue of weapons? M-16's

Best of luck to the guy and his family coz he's going to need it

Last Online
    08-07-2015 @ 11:41 PM
    Yesterday in the US 90 rounds fired at twenty year old male just for speeding. America a Foul state.

FarangRed
    ^always was fuked up place that's where the Thais get it from

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information