Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @

Hong Kong Victoria Peak

I have just been going thru the mess that is known as my hard disk drives trying to have a little tidy up, luckily I found these Pictures from Hong Kongs Victoria Peak so that has given me an excuse to put off the tidy up

The Funicular Tram to Victoria Peak doesn't go up all the way so you have to walk the rest, in that heat and humidity most sensible people don't bother, so I didn't, This is the highest place on Hong Kong Island at 552 meters high, the railway is 373 meters long and gets pretty damn steep in places, it was completed in 1888.

On the way up don't sit on the right hand side unless you have a head for heights and aint worried about the tram toppling off of the rails, at least if it topples off and you are on the left you will have bodies to cushion your fall, although you will probably also die aswell but may live a few miliseconds longer than those underneath you, offhand I think it was 20 Hong Kong dollars for the trip.

Weekends it is packed

Feeling a bit sickly.

OH DEAR.....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I went up there last year and on the way down I met a man who was from my nearest neighbourhood town, about 200kms away in australia.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    I went in December, so it was nice and chilly. It was bloody freezing at night though. I would post some pics, but I believe they pretty much all feature my ex, so prolly not a good idea.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    yeah but she was cute so i think you should post them.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    You can also drive up there but as most people in Hong Kong dont have cars it is easier on the tram.

At the top you wont get a very good view due to the pollution in Hong Kong and it aint much cooler than down below.

There are plenty of restaurants there and at night the views are supposed to be spectacular.

This 7 storey building has a Madame Tussards, loads of restaurants and shops.

Pretty murky out there.

I bet this place is expensive.

This is high enough.....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    DD - the peak at night is well worth it - and the food in the resteraunt is fantastic if a little pricey - but u do get wot u pay for. i think they do coordinated firreworks of the building tops below fri and sat night on the hour ...... amaxing

i love HK!

perhaps my nexty stop in a few yesars time all things permitting....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    hong kong, really is a amazing, how the hell they fit all those buildings on one island I have no idea!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    absolutely amazing - vibrant - interesting - and at night quite beautiful.

did u ever see the planes landing at the old airport - there was a hieght restriction on the building over the direct flight path but other side building rose above the altitude of the decsending plane. - scary but awesome.

Last Online
    20-02-2007 @ 07:38 PM
    I lived on the Peak 1962-1966, aged 7-11 with my parents. Those pics brought back memories, thanks!

Where'd all those buildings come from, though? We had a nice uncluttered view of the harbour.

I learned that the house we lived in (cook, 2 maids, gardener) slid off the mountain sometime in the '70's.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    27-11-2006 @ 09:00 AM
    Great stuff. It's been 15 years since I was in HK. Makes me want to return.

Somewhere Travelling
    Last Online
    21-10-2012 @ 07:09 PM
    Last time I went the view was horrible due to the pollution from Guangdong.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Asper
    I learned that the house we lived in (cook, 2 maids, gardener)
    Some people lead a nice life....

RIP
    Last Online
    08-09-2010 @ 02:48 PM
    Runcorn, Cheshire, UK formerly Epsom Surrey.
    Quote Originally Posted by buadhai View Post
    Great stuff. It's been 15 years since I was in HK. Makes me want to return.
    Don't do it.

I was stationed in Hong Kong in 1962 and decided to return a couple of years ago. You always have in mind the old time you were there. I was disappointed and would not go back again. I remembered Stanley as a crossroads with just a couple of houses - now its a fuking great market. Will post some pictures later.

Somewhere Travelling
    Last Online
    21-10-2012 @ 07:09 PM
    I much liked Hong Kong in 1995 versus 2001. Dunno, maybe it was better when the UK was in charge

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ not really a great deal of difference.

たのむよ。
    Last Online
    02-07-2021 @ 10:09 PM
    I want to live in HK and film parties and weddings for rich people.

RIP
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    Dont worry about the tram !
    Its ok
    or was

The haulage system is/was covered by the Uk Mines Inspectorate Regulations for haulage engines ( lovely antiquated term ) and as I was the inspector from 1993 - 2000 for their insurance company I had no worries about passing them off for cover.
    Now it is run from the other side with their slightly dubious mine regulations ,maybe I should reconsider that statement !

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Some memories here. I used to get the Tram to work- well usually tram to work, taxi home.

This is the old Peak Cafe.

Originally, it was the rickshaw station for the Peak. Yep, those were the days. A big fat sweaty colonial would be hauled all the way from Victoria Harbour to the Peak- it only took two rickshaw haulers, there was a change station about half way up. A reminder of colonial Hong Kong.

Anyway, the day of the rickshaw is long gone, and the Peak Cafe became a bloody great restaurant- ambience, decor, food, garden, view, you name it. If asked to name my fave HK restaurant it would be between this and the Mandarin Grill. It was owned by an Aussie, although the premises were leased from the HK gov't. He lost the leasehold, after 20- 25 years, when the lease came up for renewal and was put out to tender, around 2000. His generous renewal bid was pipped by a Chinese restaurant operator- corruptly tipped off by a HK civil servant. But of course, this could not be proved. A reminder of Chinese Hong Kong.

The Peak Cafe is now a shadow of it's former self, sadly. The new operator sanitized the place- most of the old colonial bric a brac, and all of the ambience disappeared. The eclectic menu was standardised, and I stopped going there- the big place in the modern building opposite is better now, and probably still has a nice lounge/jazz band on at night.

This place, with the big windows on the 2nd floor (sorry, I forget it's name)-

When you're in HK I recommend you check it out, especially at night. The night view from the Peak is truly one of the worlds great views.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    15-12-2012 @ 03:35 PM
    ^Sabang, you nearly bring a tear to my eye. We used to eat at the Peak Cafe nearly every Sunday. We drove up from our home in Repulse Bay. Great Indian and other fare, and after brunch we used to walk the walkway around the Peak. It was one of the few places you could go to avoid the crush of people.

And, you're right, it changed owners approximately in mid 2001 if I recall correctly, and was never its regal former self.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ Brings a tear to my eye mate. The times I've had there. Mid 2001 then was it, thanks- I'm terrible with dates. The Aussie operators (husband & wife) were friends actually- they certainly did well out of the place, but well deserved it.

Fancy that- you and me could have been sitting there at the Peak Cafe on adjacent tables. I've been up there for many Sunday lunches- it was advisable to book.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    ^Yup, I had a standing booking at the outside tables with the view in the garden. I spent a lot of Sundays there 1997-mid 2001, when I had my family with me. In prior years, I only went sometimes. The kids went to the biggest Int'l school. Did you have kids in any Int'l school on the Island? Maybe we saw each other in more places than one. My office was in Wanchai - Central Plaza. Used to eat lunch a lot and do happy hours at a little wine bar/cafe in Wanchai, as well as Lan Kwai Fong, Soho, etc.. Weekends at Stanley, blah blah.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    No kids, but we would have been on nearby tables more than once, I am sure (I preferred the garden with the view over Lamma too). I was the handsome guy that used to roll up with a different girl most times. Just kidding- I'm not that hansum, but it was, shall we say, a place where I conducted some after hours biz with some Filipina lublies.

Office 1992-95- the Great Eagle Centre, diagonally opposite Central Plaza.
    1995 - 2002 - Lippo Centre, Twr 1.
    Company still going strong(ish), now in The Centre. Hope my 25% will produce some gold one day.
    I lived in Convention Plaza 1999 & 2000, looking directly across to Central Plaza. Nice short walk to the office.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    ^My first office in Central (well Admiralty) was in Lippo Centre II! I say first office in Central because I started my career in a rat infested backwater hole in Kowloon - Mongkok, with a telex and fax machine in 1987. Dates me a bit huh?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ H'mm, wish I was sitting on some rat infested real estate in Mongkok now.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    ^No shit. Mongkok is hot. In those days, it was truly a hole. I used to be a member of a, ahem, 'gentlemen's club' in the neighborhood where I entertained business guests. It was so campy it was hilarious, but at least I could afford the membership, so I thought I was the dog's bollocks.

And, all my guests had happy endings at the attached love hotel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information