Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thai Spiders

Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    ^Seems like I'm walking into these webs all day long on the property. And, they are industrial-strength webs too! Nothing like a face full of web to cause disorentation! The spiders never seem to bite tho - red ants are my biggest problem. Them and the 'booats' - termites.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by khmen View Post
    ^I've heard that before. I had some in my room on Samui and a TG said they could bite, but they were tiny, not much bigger than the tiny ones in the UK. Or are these ones a bit bigger than the ones I'm on about?
    Jumping spiders can't hurt you. Actually, they'll eat the spiders that spin webs in the house; other spiders are an important prey item.

Thailand's spiders aren't very impressive, compared to the US or especially Aussie. They make up for it in snakes, scorpions and centipedes I suppose. None of the above troubles me much when I am stomping about the greenery in Thailand- the wee ticks and leeches are really annoyingi, but t's the damned ants and hornets that worry me, not to mention the awful things one can get from mossies. Worst of all there's the cops and assorted officialdom. Give me actual invertebrates any day.
    “You can lead a horticulture but you can’t make her think.” Dorothy Parker

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    27-11-2023 @ 11:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus
    ....sadly last month, FIL was found dead on his bed in our house from three snake bites .. ..he was house/farm sitting for us..don't know where or when he was bitten..doc told us that the particular snake venom would have killed him within five minutes!...
    Shit! Sorry to hear that. Have you any idea what kind of snake it was? I'd hazard a guess, given your location, that it was a pit viper of sorts.

Last Online
    07-02-2020 @ 10:49 PM
    [quote=robuzo;1950873, but t's the damned ants and hornets that worry me, .[/quote]

Amen to that.

Crepitus
    Shit! Sorry to hear that. Have you any idea what kind of snake it was? I'd hazard a guess, given your location, that it was a pit viper of sorts.[/quote]

thx ..coulda been..I think the police doc did tell the wife's sister ( we were in Phuket) but guess it was not something that was deemed that important..
    ...been around the farm looking and clearing potential brush/shrub hiding places sealing up holes from burrowing animals etc near the house ..think the offending snake was hunting the mice and rats and gekos that are attracted to the house..been putting out poison for them too...
    ..the fang marks were about 3in apart..must of been something large!

Last Online
    06-12-2011 @ 08:04 AM
    Your concern for spiders is far outweighed by your stupidity. Why leave the safety of middle class where ever and allow your Thai darling to put you on the farm in bum fuck no where. "We build big house on land mama sell us cheap" meaning twice the going rate!! pfft Stupidity such as this deserves a bite or two on the arse and if the spiders don't do it well the atm dragon probably will. Oh yes the good life of swilling beer daily and pretending the brother in law/ actually her Thai husband is a loving caring guy. What are you people thinking? Were you farmers back home? Nice looking spiders though and thanks for sharing!

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    ^Seems like I'm walking into these webs all day long on the property. And, they are industrial-strength webs too! Nothing like a face full of web to cause disorentation! The spiders never seem to bite tho - red ants are my biggest problem. Them and the 'booats' - termites.
    I can deal with mot daeng, but of late have been coming across those lovely giant Thai centipedes and nasty little brown scorpions [lethal] whilst clearing underbrush during the dry season on the principle property....

Spiders. On occasion we've had those giant-legged bushy variety [big as a fucking truck] set up camp in some quite corner of the house. They're quite intimidating just by their sheer size - don't know how venomous they might be.

One certainly can't live in a country setting [regardless of your ivory palace] without the hazards and benefits of all these critters....just live with it.

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    ^^ It's not hard to tell the ones who've been stung is it. It's ok, matey..you have the right to be bitter. How's wanking in pools of your own fecal matter working out?

Last Online
    13-12-2017 @ 08:56 AM
    Lecram
    Pattaya

Your concern for spiders is far outweighed by your stupidity. Why leave the safety of middle class where ever and allow your Thai darling to put you on the farm in bum fuck no where. "We build big house on land mama sell us cheap" meaning twice the going rate!! pfft Stupidity such as this deserves a bite or two on the arse and if the spiders don't do it well the atm dragon probably will. Oh yes the good life of swilling beer daily and pretending the brother in law/ actually her Thai husband is a loving caring guy. What are you people thinking? Were you farmers back home? Nice looking spiders though and thanks for sharing!
    Lecram
    Pattaya

Lecram
    Pattaya

^^ It's not hard to tell the ones who've been stung is it. It's ok, matey..you have the right to be bitter. How's wanking in pools of your own fecal matter working out?

Thanks for another good thread and heartfelt congratulations for actually making it to the second page before (what I have noticed lately seems to be a trend on this forum) some cretinous A-hole that's been a member for a year or less here posts in an attempt to insult and degrade you but only manages to remind those of us with half a brain that enjoy ALL that Thailand offers the obvious reason for all that RED under their avatar and name !

Anyway, I enjoy your posts, so mai pen rai. Thanks again. celtic

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by celtic
    that's been a member for a year or less here
    And only 6 posts.

Remember when you joined, the nervousness of posting anything. Give the bugger a chance he may turn out to be great fellow. He may want to read all of Somtamslaps threads before commenting on his latest.

He/she will either disappear for another year or find the "right" level.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

Last Online
    @
    seen some bigguns.

Last Online
    13-12-2017 @ 08:56 AM
    Kor tod krap Khun OhOh, you make a good point! But it is very annoying to be reading a nice enjoyable thread and have one of those guys pop up with their six-guns blazing and yes I remember when I first joined and the reluctance to post. Even now years later I only post to thank people for their threads or if I feel that I have something to contribute or sometimes to react in jest if I think something is funny.
    Most of the members here seem to be polite, well mannered, good people and while not everyone agrees on many subjects it usually doesn't get nasty. So It was just my irritation towards some relative "newbies" who seem to think (although time on this forum does not always reflect knowledge and understanding of Thailand and it's people) that they know-it-all.
    I hope that they all calm down and realize that you can learn a lot more with your mouth closed and your ears open. You get what you give and it starts with respect. I just don't want to see Teakdoor become like that other Thai forum.
    Sorry for venting and thanks for the valid point you made.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:22 PM
    If people ignore the more obvious ranters they tend to either quieten down with the blasts or just disappear altogether of there own accord.

god
    Last Online
    @
    I've walked into one of these.
    I was eleven, barging along a path through the bushes with a stick, not looking up, but down, for snakes, when I bounced off a huge web.
    First I'd seen that size.
    Catches birds and eats them.
    Usually eats giant moths etc.
    Later, I saw another with a small yellow and green feathered bird in it, similar to the one described below.

Signature spider in Nagaland | Demotix.com

If you're looking straight ahead as you walk, you can see the white cross to warn you.
    The main web can be up to four or so feet across.

Large moths and small birds can fly easily between the arms of the cross and the surrounding vegetation, so get caught.
    Large birds cant, so don't try, so don't wreck the web.

(Farmers paint a white cross on the black plastic covered hay-bales to deter birds.)

The Thai version is smaller.

The Signature Spider | Scienceray

A very pretty spider.
    Last edited by ENT; 22-12-2011 at 07:39 AM.

god
    Last Online
    @
    Edited double post.
    Last edited by ENT; 22-12-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Last Online
    04-01-2012 @ 12:32 PM
    Scare too

Spider == Mae mai dum ?

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by eddysix
    Spider == Mae mai dum ?
    Maeng moom, usually..

Last Online
    01-04-2024 @ 07:59 AM
    I hike in the jungle a lot here in Thailand.
    I've brushed up against these big spiders, like the ones in your pics, numerous times. (sometimes with my face, as you say, they like to be around head level)
    They've never harmed me in any way.

The only thing I worry about in the jungle are the Tor, or tiger wasps.
    I've been stung 3 times and each time, it hurts like hell for about 24 hours.
    I run the other way when I see those now.

Last Online
    @
    Speaking of spiders, I was shuffling my feet to the kitchen/laundry area the other night in a coma sort of state, flipped on light and saw this fella on the wall. Great to know he was cruising the place while I slept in peace.....I stared at him as I sipped my water, I shut off light and went back to bed. Of course I slept with one eye open.

[/IMG]

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    16-02-2015 @ 12:11 PM
    Dont know what that is , we have small jumping ones in the house and in the garden have ones in a hole with a web across the front.
    Never been bothered by them .
    We get scorpians sometimes small white ones never seen mom and dad the big ones .

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    ^^I think it is a huntsman. They really are scary looking fuks cause of their size and the way the run sideways at 25 Km/h. Can give you a painful bite but in practice they are pretty timid and not dangerous.

I have got some monsters in the kitchen and they are good at keeping the cockroaches down.

Last Online
    02-01-2017 @ 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnt
    All my problems in the garden stem from these enormous green worms with yellow stripes, black spots and white circled black eyes puffed up like a green cheese curl marshmallow. They eat everything in site.

Worst part is my wife is terrified of them and always comes to me for dealing the deathblow to the poor buggers. I have great respect for worms, and the inclusion of "Worm Karma, " certainly isn't something I encourage.
    don't know if this worm is actually a caterpillar, but there's one variety of green caterpillar i've been warned away from. very, very poisonous sting apparently. that said, i'm much more scared of centipedes. aggressive, poisonous, ugly and around here, big. spiders don't bother me much i've never been attacked by one.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:48 PM
    ....sadly last month, FIL was found dead on his bed in our house from three snake bites .. ..he was house/farm sitting for us..don't know where or when he was bitten..doc told us that the particular snake venom would have killed him within five minutes!...also lost our ridgeback a few months ago from snake bites .... it sure is a jungle out there ..take care out there!!!
    Fuk me! Where do you live; please don't say Nakhon Nayok...

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:48 PM
    ..the fang marks were about 3in apart..must of been something large!
    3 inches apart??? Can anything other than a King Cobra have such big fangs? (Other than a python and their 'venom' won't be killing anyone/thing in 5 minutes...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin
    nasty little brown scorpions [lethal]
    Is this a myth or true? I've heard from many folks that there are no, NO, lethal scorpians or contipedes in Thailand; though I have been treking with old Thais who were scared shitless of a big centipede and said it was lethal; I suppose they should know...

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    ^^I think it is a huntsman. They really are scary looking fuks cause of their size and the way the run sideways at 25 Km/h. Can give you a painful bite but in practice they are pretty timid and not dangerous. I have got some monsters in the kitchen and they are good at keeping the cockroaches down.
    I think you're right. I used to get a large one in my living room/bathroom/kitchen many years back; Boris. He liked to spend time on my pillow, in the soap dish at 6am shower time, and peeking out from under the sofa - in the end, when I woke up at 2am and he/she was on my pillow, I had to get the missus to remove him (I was standing on a chair like a big girl at the time). They are scary looking and bloody fast (not faster than the missus and her Tesco bag 'glove'... ).
    Cycling should be banned!!!

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo
    old Thais who were scared shitless of a big centipede and said it was lethal
    They are ugly fckers, and have a wicked bite/venom...See my thread on Giant Centipede Attack...but not lethal...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information