Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    R.I.P
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM

Martin Johnson quits as England team manager

Martin Johnson quits as England team manager

Johnson was captain of the England team that won the 2003 World Cup

England team manager Martin Johnson has stood down after three and a half years in the role.

His decision follows a miserable World Cup which ended in quarter-final defeat by France and featured a series of on and off-field controversies.

The 41-year-old won 84 caps for England as a player, leading the side to victory in the 2003 World Cup.

Johnson and the Rugby Football Union's director of elite rugby Rob Andrew will hold a press conference at 1600 GMT.

Gohills flip-flops wearer
    Last Online
    13-04-2024 @ 11:05 PM
    Free beer for the lads then.

Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    A good player doesn't necessary make a good manager.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-04-2023 @ 02:34 PM
    Oh dear ! How sad ! Never mind.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    The best option for the team to move forward - the coaches need to go too. Get the Welsh coaches in...

Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Why is it that the Welsh have English coaches ?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Why is it that the Welsh have English coaches ?
    The only English coach in Wales is Edwards. He comes from a rugby league background and almost certainly hates the English RFU setup more than I do. He's a good bloke who wants to do his best at his job. This is unlikely to happen in England as he has realised too that "one cannot educate pork".

Next question, please ......

sabaii sabaii
    Lets not forget the guy is a National Hero.

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by pigeons

Last Online
    ^ he was a great player and on the field leader, but a poor manager. His management of the team at the WC was shockingly poor. Several players have commented that the off-field problems would not have happened under other managers...

His loyalty to players is a great quality as a captain, but not as a manager when those players are: 1) playing crap; 2) behaving in an unappropriate way off the field.

I wish him all the best, and will remember his many playing highlights. He did the right thing to step down now.
    Cycling should be banned!!!

sabaii sabaii
    I'll bet you the next guy, however disciplined the team are, on and off the field, won't win the next Rugby World Cup either

We weren't good enough. There was only ever gonna be one winner, that was NZ.

They had the best team.

Martin Johnson could have managed them and took em on the piss every night, they would still have won and by a lot bigger margin than they scraped home by

Last Online
    ^ England were not good enough, that is true. But they were on a par with the previous England WC team who made it to the final and would have won if the ref hadn't've been a cheating Irish kunt...

I think there was no amazing team in this WC. The current NZ team were the best, but they were well beatable, imho...

Anyways, you're a Northerner so stick to league (the last 2 England games have been great).

sabaii sabaii
    I'm from South Birmingham, you piece of shit

Someone mentioned on the Rugby thread about how many English players would get in the British Lions, I think he mentioned Old Johnny

Last Online
    ^ Birmingham is dangerously North...

My mum's from Sulihol and she sounds nothing like you!

Last Online
    @
    Wrong man gone.... Stick the spike into Andrew!!!!

Oh and Edwards has now signed a full time deal with us so fuck ya!!

Last Online
    ^ bollocks...

Andrew needs to go, tis true.

Last Online
    @
    Why bollocks?.... Andrew is a cancer in English rugby.

After that it's up to the predecessor whether he can work with Johnson.

You chop from the top down.........

Last Online
    @
    I see Andrew ha issued a statement saying he win't be quitting..." hahaha shah

Hang onto the [at][at][at][at], believe me, us Celts don't give a shit!

Last Online
    Bollocks, as in damn, oh dear, I'm not happy with that...

Bollocks that we didn't sign Edwards - he's a great defense coach and motivator.

Andrew has been a fuking disaster during his entire tenure (well, most).... He should be booted out; is there anyone who can boot him out???

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I think Andrew should stay in his job for life. When he's dead, he can be stuffed and wheeled to his desk every day. He would be equally effective and would cost less in wages.

I have a profound respect for him. I will contribute willingly to the fund required for his stuffing.

In fact, everybody connected with English rugby can get stuffed as far as I am concerned. I was there for the Paul Ringer game and to me nothing is too bad for English rugby and its followers.

Last Online
    @
    ^understood. Wallow in it...... Like I said, Shaun knew where to stay "and we don't care" *pretty vacant style*

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by can123 View Post
    In fact, everybody connected with English rugby can get stuffed as far as I am concerned. I was there for the Paul Ringer game and to me nothing is too bad for English rugby and its followers.
    Nasty, and we still scored 2 tries to nil, I thought we had it when Elgan crossed....

Wasn't there but I was when we stuffed them way out of sight the year before. They even brought a wannabe Taff, Neil Bennett at 10...... The shame!!!!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by can123 View Post
    Nasty, and we still scored 2 tries to nil, I thought we had it when Elgan crossed....

Wasn't there but I was when we stuffed them way out of sight the year before. They even brought a wannabe Taff, Neil Bennett at 10...... The shame!!!!
    I was there too. We beat them 27 - 3 and scored five tries. It was the first game Alan Philips played for Wales, also a debut for Clive Griffiths. Alan Martin kicked one goal. Can't remember it but he only took the very long ones. Tries were scored by Rees, Richards, Ringer and JJ.

Ringer was innocent and was sent off only because of a wimpish referee who had allowed himself to be unduly influenced by the media. He wouldn't even have found himself in the sin bin these days.

I was also there for the Chico Hopkins game. The first time an English crowd ever chanted at a game. They thought they were going to win when Gareth Edwards went off injured. Chico came on. His own team mates didn't have a clue what he was going to do and England were bamboozled.

I was also there for the Jarrett game. A truly magnificent performance, probably the best I have ever seen. Christ ! I'm old.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-12-2023 @ 10:51 PM
    How could they appoint a guy as Coach of England who had zero, zip, nada coaching experience? IMHO whoever appointed him should get the sack for incompetence.

The problem with England is that they live in and glorify the past. Time to move on.

sabaii sabaii
    Quote Originally Posted by BKKBoet
    The problem with England is that they live in and glorify the past. Time to move on.
    The problem is or was, the team wasn't strong or skillfull or talented enough

Australia fell short too

That was one of the best NZ outfits ever,

that's why they started huge odds on favourites

sabaii sabaii
    No fucker could have managed that shower of shit England team to victory, Australia likewise

That Welsh team lost about 4 games

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information