Last Online
    @

Cricket writer Peter Roebuck dead at 55

Peter Roebuck dies

Great writer, good cricketer..... Sounds strange..... Possible suicide?

Think we will be hearing more about this..... More allegations, certainly was an odd one....

Last Online
    @
    Perhaps he did a David Carradine, choked pulling one off in the wardrobe?

Last Online
    @
    Spoken to by the police earlier in the evening..... Remember his interest in caning boys....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Used to go to Taunton regularly to see Somerset. I got his autograph.

His presence at the crease was however not scintillating, and always totally overshadowed by King Viv. Basically just waiting for him to get out so Botham could get a knock.

Last Online
    @
    Yep, studious looking fellow with his glasses. Saw him many times when I was a Glamorgan member.

He was captain when the big blow up between Richards / Botham andthe club happened wasn't he?
    Last edited by Bobcock; 13-11-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Last Online
    @
    RESPECTED cricket writer Peter Roebuck has died in South Africa. There is an ongoing police investigation into events surrounding his death and it is understood he was being questioned by police at the time.

Roebuck, 55, was staying at the Southern Sun Hotel Newlands in Cape Town where he had been covering the first Test between South Africa and Australia.

He arrived back at the hotel on Saturday night after dinner with a friend and was last seen being spoken to by police in his room.
    Curiouser and curiouser....

Last Online
    @
    Topped himself.

South African police have released a statement confirming that cricket columnist and commentator Peter Roebuck took his own life.

"This office can confirm that an incident occurred last night at about 21:15 at a hotel in Claremont where a 55-year-old British national who worked as an Australian commentator committed suicide," the statement said. "The circumstances surrounding this incident is being conducted. An inquest docket has been opened for investigation."

Roebuck, 55, was in South Africa covering Australia's ongoing Test tour, including as a radio commentator for the ABC. He was spoken to by local police on his return to the Southern Sun Hotel Newlands on Saturday night after he had been out to dinner.

A statement issued by the hotel said "an incident that occurred at Southern Sun Newlands" was currently under full police investigation. No further details were given.

"Incredibly sad news. He was an integral part of the Grandstand commentary team and apart from being a magnificent print journalist," Craig Norenbergs, the ABC Grandstand manager, said. "For us he could describe a game of cricket in such a way that even if you didn't like the game, you liked the way that he went about his business."

His managing editor at the Herald, Ian Fuge, called Roebuck's death a "a devastating blow to all at The Sydney Morning Herald both professionally and personally".

''Peter was a wonderful writer who was the bard of summer for cricket-loving Australians,'' he said. ''He was also an extraordinary bloke who will be sorely missed.''

In addition to his work in print and radio, Roebuck was also a widely read columnist for ESPNcricinfo, contributing his views in both written and audio form. His last column had expressed cautious optimism about the progress of the Australian team. Sambit Bal, editor of ESPNcricinfo, said Roebuck had always pressed the importance of avoiding nationalism in how the game should be viewed.

"He was a rare global voice in the game," he said. "He used to say that there was too much nationalism in cricket writing. His writing was devoid of any allegiance to nation, team or any player. I cherished his friendship and counsel."

Roebuck was born in Oxford on March 6, 1956, the son of two schoolteachers and and one of six children. He was attracted to cricket at an early age and grew into an accomplished batsman with Somerset, going on to captain the county to success in the 1980s. He also led an England team to defeat against Holland.

In 335 first-class matches, Roebuck made 17,558 runs at 37.27, with 33 centuries. His playing career was overshadowed to some degree by a bitter and drawn-out feud with other members of the Somerset team, which led to the removal of Joel Garner and Viv Richards from the team and the exit of Ian Botham.

As Roebuck's cricket developed, so too did his writing. It Never Rains, his journal of the 1983 season, established him as one of cricket's most insightful voices even as a young batsman, and he would go on to write numerous other books, including an account of England's Ashes success in Australia in 1986-87.

Australia would play a growing part in Roebuck's life, as he spent summers there teaching and playing cricket, then graduating into writing for newspapers and commentating on radio. After his first-class playing career ended in 1991, Roebuck shared his time between Australia and South Africa, living in Sydney and Pietermaritzberg.

Ian Chappell, the former Australia captain and fellow commentator, said Roebuck had always provided worthwhile company in the often self-contained, and consumed, world of the press box. "I used to regularly find an excuse to chat to him because I enjoyed his company and always felt I'd learn something from him, and I got to know him better and better down the years," Chappell said. "He was a bit of a loner but around the press box he was good company and a worthwhile opinion.

"We didn't talk so much about the game, more about things around the game, like corruption - he always had pretty good contacts - and things like Zimbabwe which he felt pretty strongly about. We'd also talk about players a bit, and I always made a point of seeking him out because I enjoyed his opinions. I enjoyed reading his stuff, at times I read it and didn't get the point, so he wasn't exactly Bill O'Reilly, but he was a damn good writer, a colourful writer and he brought other things in life into it."

Roebuck's columns were fiercely independent and artfully written, often expressing the contrarian view but at other times articulating the thoughts of many, though in words they could not have found. His views were never more hotly-debated than when the Herald ran a front-page opinion piece in which Roebuck called for the sacking of Ricky Ponting as Australia captain following the acrimonious 2008 SCG Test against India.

It was a measure of his worth to Fairfax as a voice and agenda-setter that the rival News Ltd papers were always wary of what the fearless Roebuck would write, and would wince when he produced, as in the case of the Ponting piece, a view so staunch and so newsworthy that they could do little else but follow it up.

He was outspoken on numerous topics, not least the degeneration of Zimbabwe cricket, and was also a frequent questioner of the game's administrators and money-men. He wrote critically of the influence of betting, both legal and illegal, within the game, and warned against the proliferation of cricket without meaning or context.

On radio Roebuck served as the international counterpoint to the strong Australian voices to be found in the ABC box. Despite his time spent in Australia, he related to his fellow commentator Kerry O'Keeffe that he would always be a "chap", the English term for a grown man, rather than the Australian "bloke".

"Nobody analysed the game better, nobody cut to the chase more succinctly, and nobody saw where the game was going bette," O'Keeffe said on ABC radio. "He was a bookworm who loved the game, cricket consumed him and he played it with great distinction, and then turned to writing and commentary, and he was the No. 1 seed.

"It is the most devastating news for so many out there who knew that voice, so incisive - the blue print for all our cricket commentary. He rang me up nearly every week for the last 10 years to talk cricket, and every time I'd put the phone down and have a deeper view of the game after the conversation."

As a man, Roebuck could be prickly, but was always prepared to share his views on the game and on life. In his autobiography, Sometimes I Forgot To Laugh, Roebuck's father described him. "In orthodox spheres," he said, "Peter might be regarded as odd, whereas he is merely obscure and oblique. He is an unconventional loner, with an independent outlook on life, an irreverent sense of humour and sometimes a withering tongue."

Last Online
    @
    The exact timing is somewhat suspicious. Perhaps he has founded the Newlands Flying Club?

South African police have confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death of respected former cricketer and commentator Peter Roebuck.
    Western Cape South African Police spokesman Captain FC Van Wyk has confirmed an incident occurred on Saturday night at approximately 9.15pm (local time) at the Southern Sun Hotel, where Roebuck was staying with fellow ABC commentators in the Cape Town suburb of Newlands.
    A 55-year-old British national who was working as a commentator had taken his own life, a statement from Van Wyk said.
    He said an inquest would be conducted into the circumstances surrounding the death.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ghost_Of_The_Moog
    King Viv was basically just waiting for him to get out so Botham could get one up the shooter .
    I had heard rumours about Richards and Botham being special dressing room buddies.

Is Glamorgan a gay friendly cricket club?

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ghost_Of_The_Moog
    King Viv was basically just waiting for him to get out so Botham could get one up the shooter .
    I had heard rumours about Richards and Botham being special dressing room buddies.

I doubt it Loy Toy, and I'd love to hear you ask either of them in person.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    Why would you ask that?
    Last edited by Bobcock; 13-11-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda
    I doubt it Loy Toy
    There were rumours Harry and you like me have no real idea if they were true or not.
    and I'd love to hear you ask either of them in person
    So you would love to see me ask another man whether he swung both ways.

I've always suspected you were a little strange Harry.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    The exact timing is somewhat suspicious. Perhaps he has founded the Newlands Flying Club?

South African police have confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death of respected former cricketer and commentator Peter Roebuck.
    Western Cape South African Police spokesman Captain FC Van Wyk has confirmed an incident occurred on Saturday night at approximately 9.15pm (local time) at the Southern Sun Hotel, where Roebuck was staying with fellow ABC commentators in the Cape Town suburb of Newlands.
    A 55-year-old British national who was working as a commentator had taken his own life, a statement from Van Wyk said.
    He said an inquest would be conducted into the circumstances surrounding the death.
    Don't wish to disappoint gloaters over his corpse, but he was found in the room.

At the age of 13 I was alone in a room in Exeter save for a stark naked Viv Richards.

In order to preserve my exotic air, I shall not comment further. But I recall he had a very black bottom and he had enormous lats.

Last Online
    @
    I doubt it Loy Toy
    There were rumours Harry and you like me have no real idea if they were true or not.
    and I'd love to hear you ask either of them in person
    So you would love to see me ask another man whether he swung both ways.

I've always suspected you were a little strange Harry.
    No, I'd love to see you get a kicking, especially from Beefy.

The next post may be brought to you by my little bitch Spamdreth

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ghost_Of_The_Moog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post

Don't wish to disappoint gloaters over his corpse, but he was found in the room.
    No one is gloating, just curious as to why they refer to "an incident at approximately 9:15".

Does it not sound to you like the police were in attendance?

Last Online
    @
    In fact:

The body of the 55-year-old, who captained Somerset in the 80s, was discovered on Saturday night in the hotel where he was staying in the Cape Town suburb of Newlands.

Roebuck worked as a journalist for the Sydney Morning Herald and a broadcaster for ABC radio, and was in South Africa covering Australia's Test series.

Western Cape provincial police spokesperson Frederick van Wyk said: 'There was an incident around 9pm on Saturday night when a British citizen who is a cricket commentator committed suicide by jumping from the sixth floor of his Claremont hotel. He died on impact.'

Read more: Peter Roebuck dead: Former Somerset cricketer 'commits suicide' | Metro.co.uk
    Perhaps he has founded the Newlands Flying Club?
    Asked and answered.

Now the only question remaining is for what reason the police were questioning him.
    Van Wyk declined to comment on reports that the police had questioned Roebuck on Saturday and said they will 'investigate all the circumstances' around his death.
    Bear in mind it was earlier reported:

it is understood he was being questioned by police at the time
    Last edited by harrybarracuda; 13-11-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Well you got it right with Liam Fox and you got the cause of death right on this one. So well played HB.

Last Online
    @
    Well you got it right with Liam Fox and you got the cause of death right on this one. So well played HB.
    Just reading between the lines, there was enough in the initial report to arouse Bobcock's suspicions as well.

Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Last Online
    23-03-2013 @ 04:22 AM
    I remember him in his playing days.

He was a decent opener.

His hat was brown though, thinkin about it.

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    From the Daily Telegraph:-

He arrived back at the hotel on Saturday night after dinner with a friend and was last seen being spoken to by police in his room.

The Daily Telegraph has learned Roebuck, staying on the sixth floor of the hotel, plunged to his death after jumping out of a window with police still in the room.

He landed on the awning outside the entrance to the hotel. Police removed personal items from his room and took his body to the mortuary yesterday morning.

A source said: "The police came to his room and wanted to speak to him. I'm told he was being questioned for sexual assault".

Sex assault claims emerge in Peter Roebuck death inquest | News.com.au

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    From the Daily Telegraph:-

The Daily Telegraph has learned Roebuck, staying on the sixth floor of the hotel, plunged to his death after jumping out of a window with police still in the room.

He landed on the awning outside the entrance to the hotel. Police removed personal items from his room and took his body to the mortuary yesterday morning.

A source said: "The police came to his room and wanted to speak to him. I'm told he was being questioned for sexual assault".

Sex assault claims emerge in Peter Roebuck death inquest | News.com.au
    You would think the police might have been ready for that, but they're either jaapies or kaffirs so almost certainly as thick as shit.

All that extra paperwork.....

Interestingly the article gives more clues:

The Sydney Morning Herald reports Roebuck was agitated when he called a fellow cricket journalist for help.
    ''Can you come down to my room quickly? I've got a problem,'' he said. He asked for help to find a lawyer and for contact to be made with the students he helped to house in Pietermaritzburg, near Durban.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Accused of a sexual assault on a (black?) man in his twenties, who had visited Roebuck to ask for money to sponsor him on some educational programme.

Makes me wonder if there was some consensual sexual interaction, then a blackmail attempt?

What do you think, Harry?

Last Online
    @
    Accused of a sexual assault on a (black?) man in his twenties, who had visited Roebuck to ask for money to sponsor him on some educational programme.

Makes me wonder if there was some consensual sexual interaction, then a blackmail attempt?

What do you think, Harry?
    I could understand Fergie, but Roebuck?

Last Online
    08-12-2011 @ 02:23 AM
    I thought people were only allowed to jump off hotels in Pattaya.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by the Orinoco View Post
    I thought people were only allowed to jump off hotels in Pattaya.
    As I said earlier:

Perhaps he has founded the Newlands Flying Club?

Thread Information