Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

U2 face the wrath of Glastonbury, and Twitter

U2 face the wrath of Glastonbury, and Twitter
    Jonathan Harwood
    JUNE 24, 2011

The band will face protests over ‘tax exile’ status as Twitter turns on Bono

Irish rockers U2 had more to contend with than just the weather when they took to the stage at Glastonbury tonight. Anti-capitalist festival-goers were planning a protest over the band's 'tax exile' status amid growing disenchantment on Twitter over the group's very existence, let alone their billing at the festival.

Despite, or perhaps because of, the fact that U2 have spent much of their career campaigning against poverty, they have come in for heavy criticism for moving their finances off-shore in order to become "tax efficient".

And at a time of global economic crisis their efforts to avoid paying tax to the Irish government, a country that almost went bankrupt during the crash, have not gone down well among more politically active music fans.

Direct action group Art Uncut announced earlier this week that it had operatives in the Glastonbury crowd who would stage a protest as the "world's biggest band" took to the Pyramid Stage tonight.

The protestors claimed that their stunt would be a "visual spectacular".

One of the organisers, Anna Walker, said: "Everyone there will see it. If the BBC do not broadcast it, there is little doubt that it will have been an editorial decision."

The band have always divided opinion but it is clear that the least popular member of the quarter is the perpetually sunglassed frontman Bono, who is widely regarded as a hypocrite. As Johnny Dee wrote in The First Post last year: "In common with so many celebrities, he's a man who enjoys the glow of global philanthropy while rarely having to dig into his own pockets."

The anti-Bono sentiment on Twitter appeared to increase as the U2 concert approached. A joke originally posted by band Stanton Warriors, who are also playing at the festival, was retweeted several hundred times.

"What's the difference between God & Bono?" it asked. "God won't be wandering around Glastonbury festival thinking he's Bono."

Fleet Street Fox, the anonymous news reporter, also got in on the act. Paraphrasing Bono's old line about children dying in Africa, she tweeted: "Oi Bono! Every time you click your fingers, someone thinks you're a [at][at][at][at]."

She added: "Apparently a chopper is £5k an hour. I'm prepared to go up, don body armour then bellyflop onto the mainstage and take out Bono."

Tarryn Blackwood contributed to the negativity. She told her followers: "If you're sad you're not at Glastonbury, just remind yourself that U2 are headlining, and be glad that you won't have to endure that."

Journalist David Quantick is obviously no fan of U2 either. He wrote: "I mean, surely we'll all see U2 when we die if we've been bad. No rush then."

And some felt a separate announcement that the band were about to reissue some of their 1990s albums was designed to capitalise on the publicity from the Glastonbury show.

"How convenient that #U2 have said they are re-releasing Achtung Baby and Zooropa a day before they perform live on TV," wrote the cynical James Hamer.

There was one final insult for Bono on a day he may end up wanting to forget. One of his peahens apparently escaped from his garden and annoyed a neighbour so much that she was moved to phone an Irish radio station to vent her frustration.

thefirstpost.co.uk

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
    The band have always divided opinion but it is clear that the least popular member of the quarter is the perpetually sunglassed frontman Bono, who is widely regarded as a hypocrite. As Johnny Dee wrote in The First Post last year: "In common with so many celebrities, he's a man who enjoys the glow of global philanthropy while rarely having to dig into his own pockets."
    The man is nothing more than a posturing, hypocritical, self-righteous windbag. I have nothing against tax avoidance and nothing against the Left, provided they practice whatever they preach (which very few do). But anyone who avoids tax whilst preaching against the lack of funds flowing to the developing world has zero credibility in my eyes.

Bono. What a [at][at][at][at].

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    And at a time of global economic crisis their efforts to avoid paying tax to the Irish government, a country that almost went bankrupt during the crash, have not gone down well among more politically active music fans.
    Yes, it's U2's fault that the Irish government is inept.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    while love him as an entertainer, agree that this tax business is blatant hypocrisy. The most basic obligation as a citizen is to pay your rightful taxes.

I'm in Jail
    Last Online
    12-06-2021 @ 11:13 PM
    For some reason, he reminds me of Scampy

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    The most basic obligation as a citizen is to pay your rightful taxes.
    “The difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion is the thickness of a prison wall.”

Denis Healey

"Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury.

There is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes.

Over and over again the Courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible.

Everyone does it, rich and poor alike and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands: Taxes are enforced exactions, not voluntary contributions.

To demand more in the name of morals is mere cant.
    "

Honorable Learned Hand, U.S. Appeals Court Judge,
    Helvering v. Gregory, 69 F.2d 809 (1934).

http://www.moneybluebook.com/the-dif...l-tax-evasion/

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 11:36 AM
    Irish rockers U2 had more to contend with than just the weather when they took to the stage at Glastonbury tonight. Anti-capitalist festival-goers were planning a protest over the band's 'tax exile' status amid growing disenchantment on Twitter over the group's very existence, let alone their billing at the festival.
    Good to see the leftie loons attacking one of their own for a change.... In the world of the leftie loon you should not become financially successful, and if you have the misfortune to become so...you should turn all your money over to support their lifesyle and in protest against capitalism...of course.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-07-2015 @ 01:49 AM
    So people are saying it would be better if he did no fund raising or awareness campaigns at all then? After all, he has no duty to do so whatsoever.

How stupid.

Last Online
    27-11-2022 @ 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by madjbs View Post
    So people are saying it would be better if he did no fund raising or awareness campaigns at all then? After all, he has no duty to do so whatsoever.

How stupid.

Agree, not a big fan of U2 but they have had some great albums. Bono seems to have used his fame, and his own time to publicise some very worthwhile causes, and put unbiased pressure on politicians to act on these causes. Who cares what they do with their own money.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:31 AM
    Just like labour politicians who send their kids to private schools. which one was it said "I'm not prepared to sacrifice my children to my priciples"?

Molecular Mixup
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    Point is Bono has been loudly campaigning for western government to increase aid to poor countries
    that government money comes from out taxes
    while he himself pays non

Apologists for him here - saying he does well for the cause -
    is like saying a vocal pacifist is great for world peace , even if he himself walks around with a hefty baseball bat braying people ....

up yours Bono
    i just downloaded Best of U2 in lovely FLAC from a free bit torrents site
    avoid the tax on that you .....

sabaii sabaii

Dislocated Member
    Last Online
    31-10-2021 @ 03:34 AM
    Anti-capitalist festival-goers were planning a protest over the band's 'tax exile' status
    amid growing disenchantment on Twitter over the group's very existence
    Two statements in the opening paragraph that simply don't hold water.
    Why would anti-capitalists demonstrate over non payment of taxes?
    Is there really disenchantment that one of the greatest acts ever, exist?
    Is this what it has come to..? Is this the press outrage at festivals..?
    Couldn't they find any crusties or anarchists to berate?

It's a sad reflection of how shallow peoples values have become and even worse that so many are being drawn into it.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    "What's the difference between God & Bono?" it asked. "God won't be wandering around Glastonbury festival thinking he's Bono."
    Great line. I always liked U2 music. Bono and co are musicians and should be treated as such. Entertainers!! If they have done good around the world good for them. If what they have done is a publicity stunt then that is a business decision. Anyone who has benefited from their actions probably doesn't give a dam! They benefitted.

Ireland used to have one of the lowest tax rates at I think 10% for artists. At one time it was widely rumoured that a crap load of American greats claimed Irish residency. They must be getting a hell of a deal someplace else. Since most of their money was made elsewhere it is a bit of a stretch to demand that any one country has first dibs on their enterprise.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 11:36 AM
    I must make a note to check this U2 outfit out. I always thought U2 was a cold war era spy plane, but now I'm hearing there's a band or something called U2 as well. Are they any good? Why are they performing in the rain and mud and not paying tax....maybe they don't earn enough to pay tax? Anyhow I hope they get this cleared up....poor guys getting all rained on, and then being accused of cheating on taxes. They would have been much better off just sticking with the pub circuit... do they do old Clancey Brothers stuff or what...

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    On paper it looks sussed that U2 shift there money off shore to minimize there tax bill but in reality most of us would do the same.

No person likes to pay more than they have to and I'm sure U2 have contributed there fair amount with there charity work and free concerts.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    The most basic obligation as a citizen is to pay your rightful taxes.
    “The difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion is the thickness of a prison wall.”

Denis Healey

"Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury.

There is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes.

Over and over again the Courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible.

Everyone does it, rich and poor alike and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands: Taxes are enforced exactions, not voluntary contributions.

To demand more in the name of morals is mere cant.
    "

Honorable Learned Hand, U.S. Appeals Court Judge,
    Helvering v. Gregory, 69 F.2d 809 (1934).

The Difference Between Legal Tax Avoidance and Illegal Tax Evasion | Money Blue Book
    I know this will come as a shock to many, but US law and their 'patriotic' brainwashing doesn't apply in other countries.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Anti-capitalist festival-goers were planning a protest over the band's 'tax exile' status
    amid growing disenchantment on Twitter over the group's very existence
    Two statements in the opening paragraph that simply don't hold water.
    Why would anti-capitalists demonstrate over non payment of taxes?
    Is there really disenchantment that one of the greatest acts ever, exist?
    Is this what it has come to..? Is this the press outrage at festivals..?
    Couldn't they find any crusties or anarchists to berate?

It's a sad reflection of how shallow peoples values have become and even worse that so many are being drawn into it.
    If they'd made a decent record since the 80's maybe people might give them a bit of leeway?

I'm in Jail
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing into trouble
    Ireland used to have one of the lowest tax rates at I think 10% for artists.
    it might still be true, which makes U2 tax dodging even more shameful

not wanting to pay 50% tax is one thing, not wanting to pay any tax at all is another

they are snobbish wankers,

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-07-2015 @ 01:49 AM
    Only a fool would conduct their business or arrange their company in a way which resulted in paying more tax than necessary.

The idea that paying more tax is in some way in keeping with persuading the government to contribute more to overseas aid is also stupid. It's how much they have donated directly which is important, not how much tax they pay to allow the government to waste it on various computer systems etc....

I'm in Jail
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by madjbs
    It's how much they have donated directly which is important,
    did they though ? wouldn't it be tax deductible if they did ?

Molecular Mixup
    Last Online
    From u2 it's a case of-- Do as I say , not as I do

Hopefully with free downloaded music the days of these filthy rich bands are over

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by blue
    Hopefully with free downloaded music the days of these filthy rich bands are over
    well that has removed any doubt one may have harboured about your intelligence

Molecular Mixup
    Last Online
    Charming as always Mid ......
    and perhaps a wonderfully erudite prognosis of the future of - head in the clouds -super bands, might have been a better way to reply to my post than a cheap jibe ...

Dislocated Member
    Last Online
    31-10-2021 @ 03:34 AM
    Spot on Mid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information