Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 04:12 PM
    I have been on the Singapore Expat Forum but cannot find where to Sign up / Join it. Any help appreciated.

Cheers, TP

Banned for deleting Gallery
    Last Online
    @
    [quote=nidhogg;1

Place worth a vist:

The zoo (one of the world best)
    (for a full day couple the zoo with the night safari as its right next door)
    Jurong Bird park
    Sentosa island - full day of attractions

Go out to east cost and hire a couple of bike and cycle through the parks along the beach.

Take a drink in raffles long bar or the billiard room

wander around china town (whats left)

Lau Pa Sat for an evening meal

on edit - and yeah, the tree tops thingy (forget where that is though)[/quote]

I forgot about the zoo thats one definite place then with the night safari, think Raffles is a bit overrated, they seem to have over restored it and it lost a lot of charm, the sin sling is a disgusting drink as well. Thanks

or TizYou?
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg
    Little India is far more interesting than China Town.

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by TizMe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg
    Little India is far more interesting than China Town.
    Fair point. Some interesting stuff there, and places that do awesome Indian food (if that floats your boat, which it most certainly does mine!). Mustapha's worth a wander in.

Of course desker/Flander square are worth a trip in themselves, but probably not advisable with his missus though!

Last Online
    16-05-2011 @ 10:03 PM
    Any info on O visas from Singapore?ne One of my customers was inquiring.

Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fawltytowerspattaya
    Any info on O visas from Singapore?ne One of my customers was inquiring.
    Check the various visa threads mate.

There's a button entitled " search" it's really good.

It searches.

Last Online
    10-10-2010 @ 07:29 AM
    I want to know disingapore ornamental fish sales center? thank you boss

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @

Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 01:28 AM
    hi there, i am going to singapore (8 hour transit) next week, ive got an australian passport, can someone check these numbers

lunch and dinner $20
    MRT day pass $8 + $10 deposit
    bike hire $8
    gym and shower in airport $11

total about $50

ill bring more but do these numbers sound about right ?

Part time poster
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2 View Post
    hi there, i am going to singapore (8 hour transit) next week, ive got an australian passport, can someone check these numbers

lunch and dinner $20
    MRT day pass $8 + $10 deposit
    bike hire $8
    gym and shower in airport $11

total about $50

ill bring more but do these numbers sound about right ?
    what kind of bike are you hiring? $8 would get you a bicycle for a couple of hours at East Coast Park.

$10 for a meal is ok at a hawker centre. You might want to bump it up to $20 per meal if you are planning to have a beer or 2 with your food.

You are right on the MRT pass price.

I would check the numbers a bit more thoroughly but you mention you have an Australian passport so I doubt you really want to have a shower, you are just showing off

Come with S$100 at least.

Last Online
    I plan on a mountain bike or any geared bike will be fine for a few hours.

I mentioned the au passport because I was originally going to ask a question about the transit visa, But forgot to do so. So no, not showing off although i suppose it does look odd that I mention this without any apparent reason. Anyhow, after doing some research I found out a free transit visa is available at the airport so it's all good.

So as long as there are no hidden surprises I'll stick to my cheap arse $50 budget with a bit in reserve. The main thing is not going shopping but checking out the place and taking photos since I never been there before.

Part time poster
    Last Online
    I plan on a mountain bike or any geared bike will be fine for a few hours.

I mentioned the au passport because I was originally going to ask a question about the transit visa, But forgot to do so. So no, not showing off although i suppose it does look odd that I mention this without any apparent reason. Anyhow, after doing some research I found out a free transit visa is available at the airport so it's all good.

So as long as there are no hidden surprises I'll stick to my cheap arse $50 budget with a bit in reserve. The main thing is not going shopping but checking out the place and taking photos since I never been there before.
    I will be at the airport on sunday and see if i can find out about your shower price request...

just stick to the mrt and dont bother with the bike. just about everywhere of interest has an mrt station nearby.

you will spend so much time looking for a bike rental place (even I wouldnt know where to start (apart from at the parks) and i have lived here for 15 yrs) and the roads are mostly 2-3 lane jobs which you would not want to tackle on a bicycle.

cheers

Last Online
    i switched my flight to come in a few days early and managed to come in yesterday, unfortuantly there was a thunderstorm so I didn't get outside much.

i can report that showers are $8.55 at one of the lounges at the terminal.

all in all, quite a nice place of what i did see of it, ill definitely like to come back and give it another chance hopefully when it is not raining.

only downside was the weather which was insanely humid.

Part time poster
    Last Online

yep its like that every day of the year

or TizYou?
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    I think its been quite pleasant the last couple of weeks.

Part time poster
    Last Online
    Its certainly very pleasant this evening. I have hardly broken a sweat lifting my drink

Last Online
    @

Question cheap inn / guesthouse ?

Spending a few nights in Singapore during the last week of June. Gonna hit the embassy for a visa renew and I'd like to stay close in to this area. Other travel plans involve taking pictures and drinking beer. Usually when I travel I stay in places that are dirt cheap, but not so low class that I will get shanked or lose my gear when I step out for some eats. Any suggestions ?

Part time poster
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
    Spending a few nights in Singapore during the last week of June. Gonna hit the embassy for a visa renew and I'd like to stay close in to this area. Other travel plans involve taking pictures and drinking beer. Usually when I travel I stay in places that are dirt cheap, but not so low class that I will get shanked or lose my gear when I step out for some eats. Any suggestions ?
    One of the many cheap hotels at Geylang such as those in the Hotel 81 chain would probably fit the bill. Depending on what 'shanked' means

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by slimboyfat
    Depending on what 'shanked' means
    knifed.

Last Online
    08-04-2024 @ 10:08 AM

I was in Singapore last week for a few days, really enjoyed the nice cool weather!
    Thailand at this time of year is "insanely humid" this year has been exceptionally so!

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by slimboyfat
    One of the many cheap hotels at Geylang such as those in the Hotel 81 chain would probably fit the bill. Depending on what 'shanked' means
    Thanks I will check it out online. The places I have seen online so far are still quite expensive. I don't expect awesome rates but I'd rather not pay more then I have to considering I will probably not take time to enjoy any amenities. I basically just need a bed to crash on at the end of the night and a shower in the morning. Other comforts I could care less about.

Last Online
    15-05-2019 @ 04:37 PM

First Class Buses Kuala Lumpur to Singapore

Will be in Kuala Lumpur, for a few days, and then Singapore, for a few days. After doing a little research I have determined that there are about 9 bus companies that provided non stop transportation to Singapore, about a 5 hour trip. There are basically two reasons that I would like to take the bus in lieu of taking the train or flying. The first is that the buses go from city center to city center. The 2nd is that they seem like they all have a business class approach, seating and amenities.

Now, I have two questions:

* Which are the better companies with the best seating and amenities?

* Which bus companies by-pass Woodlands, Singapore by going a better route?

Thanks in advance

Last Online
    03-07-2012 @ 10:40 AM
    hittheroadjack, I prefer Transtar, having tried their First Class bus. Huge massage chair, personal screen, headphones, food, etc. mostly solo business passengers, so no screaming kids. I've seen their new Solitaire Class coaches, and they look even more impressive. Most VIP coaches now use the Second link in the west. Faster clearance and much much more pleasant.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by rvnoi View Post
    hittheroadjack, I prefer Transtar, having tried their First Class bus. Huge massage chair, personal screen, headphones, food, etc. mostly solo business passengers, so no screaming kids. I've seen their new Solitaire Class coaches, and they look even more impressive. Most VIP coaches now use the Second link in the west. Faster clearance and much much more pleasant.
    I took your advice and booked Transtar Solitaire Service. We don't have buses like this in the US. Nothing even close.

Last Online

Alas Singapore

My wife (Thai born. American citizen) and I just spent 6 nights in Singapore. Our first night we spent at the Bay Hotel near the Harborfront. Fairly new hotel with excellent service. However, the room, including bathroom, were smaller than one of my smallest bedrooms back in the US. Could not believe that anyone would be in the least comfortable there. Stuck it out for that night and then moved over to the M Hotel on Anson road. The M is a typical western standard hotel similar to the Marriott except that it is not a luxury hotel like the Marriott. The M is located in the financial district and is two blocks from the Tanjong Pagar MRT station and about 4 blocks from quite a few asian eating establishments. Chinatown is also a 15 minute walk away. There are many coffee shops and western/asian restaurants in the area. A large new MacDonalds is next door to the hotel. Believe it or not the ice cream and coffee are half price of other places and both are actually better.

We spent our entire 6 days all over Singapore. Utilized the MRT almost exclusively. I was getting scared, near the end, as we were zipping through the stations and ticket machines like locals. Didn't even have to look at a map anymore.

I was totally blown away by the Marina Bay Sands. Just an incredible place. Wish we could have afforded a room which I understand starts at about $350 UDS. A little too steep for my liking. The M was expensive enough at $160 UDS through Agoda and that's the discount price.

My observation was: Singapore is super clean, super modern, super efficient, super Capitalist. The place reeks of money. The people are, for the most part, well dressed, well groomed, and physically in shape. A lot of people dress up similar to New York City. The transportation systems are second to none. Changi airport is extremely comfortable and comprehensive. The place certainly earns it reputation as the financial capital of Asia if not the world. If you have excess money to spend and don't worry about prices then Singapore can be a fascinating place to visit. It is quite expensive for just about everything and will overwhelm your budget in short order if you don't pay attention. That being said, it is a worthwhile place to visit and experience at least once in your lifetime. I don't think I would want to live there as the atmosphere is a little too autocratic for my liking. I'm a Bangkok sort of guy where things are laid back and everyone smiles.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information