Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online
    20-11-2010 @ 06:13 PM

Sleeping Habits of Children in Thai Culture‏

I've been asked by my lawyer to investigate the claims of my former partner regarding the sleeping habits of our son when he is with her and I was wondering if you could help since this appears to be the largest Thailand-related forum since the disappearance of bangkokbob & schoocher's.

My 5-year-old son sleeps with his mother (who is Thai) in her bed when her boyfriend is out despite him having his own bed in their house. Further to this she makes him wear nappies despite him not needing them any more during the day and hasn't needed them for over a year (plus he really doesn't like being forced to wear them). A social worker has investigated and my former partner claims that it is part of her culture to do these.

At what age do Thai children typically stop sleeping in their parents' bed? I've done a bit of research into this and it seems that there doesn't seem to be an age limit but I'm curious about what your forum has to say on this anyway.

At what age are children in Thai culture no longer put into nappies while in bed? This is the main question that I'd like answered please. I've had a hunt around and I can't find any info on this subject.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    Thai culture doesn't involve nappies, they are a relatively new thing to Thailand, ie the last 20 years in tourist areas, obviously at that time not available in non tourist areas due to them costing about a months salary for one box.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    Can't remember never changed one, although if memory serves think i stopped buying them at about 1 year old, maybe 1 1/2, actually who am i trying to kid the wife did all the shopping too.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I also feel the culture of the children sleeping with their parents until they're well past masturbation age has a lot to do with the Thais fear of independence, doing something alone, simply being alone.

Just my thoughts on it.

Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned
    At what age are children in Thai culture no longer put into nappies while in bed?
    I'll ask the wife when she gets back.

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    At what age do Thai children typically stop sleeping in their parents' bed?
    I have known some at 18+ who still sleep with a parent

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    ^probably due to their fear of ghosts etc.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    my western son slept in the same bed as his mother when he was 5.

nappies finished by 1 1/2 or 2 i guess.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thia kids can stay sleeping with the parents for many years longer than Farang children would, this is often due to the family all sleeping in the same room only seperated by moquito nets. It is quite normal for rural Thais a d nothing to be concerned about.
    Nappies? I have never once seen a rural thai put their kids in anything more than a old style cloth nappy with a liner, Thai kids are certainly not left in nappies for years and in my experiance are out of nappies long before thier western counterparts.
    I have though seen many Thai girls in the west become very lazy with the potty training of the kids and leave them in nappies for far longer than is nessasary or healthy.
    It wasn't me!

Last Online
    Yup, all wot he said here ^

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    27-11-2023 @ 11:59 PM
    I know a thirty year old bloke that still sleeps in the same bed as his mummy..it's pretty common, just a closer (read:fucking weird) family unit in Thailand.

As for the nappies..that's just lazy..

Last Online
    11-10-2012 @ 09:43 AM
    Same experience as mentioned with kids including young teens sleeping with their parents.

As for diapers, they're getting more popular in rural Thailand. (The missus has a few shops selling them). The most popular sizes are S, M, L. She does stock larger sizes including Adult but they sell slower.

Apart from a few regular customers who can afford them, the rest tell us they mostly buy diapers for the kids when they travel. The rest of the time the kids go Thai style with a pair of baggy shorts or nothing at all.

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned View Post

At what age do Thai children typically stop sleeping in their parents' bed? I've done a bit of research into this and it seems that there doesn't seem to be an age limit but I'm curious about what your forum has to say on this anyway.

At what age are children in Thai culture no longer put into nappies while in bed? This is the main question that I'd like answered please. I've had a hunt around and I can't find any info on this subject.
    My boy is 8 - and still in our bed. Sleeps next to his mum. Weird, but he seems a secure, well adjuusted boy, and I see no point in pushing it. A freinds 12 year old son sleeps in the same room, but different bed.

Nappies, can't help you too much, but are you sure he does not wet the bed at night? Its not unheard of, even in older children. They do make "big boy" night briefs, so maybe your ex just needs to be pointed in that direction.

En route
    Last Online
    21-04-2024 @ 08:24 PM
    I've been asked by my lawyer to investigate the claims of my former partner regarding the sleeping habits of our son when he is with her
    WTF, thats an odd request.

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I've been asked by my lawyer to investigate the claims of my former partner regarding the sleeping habits of our son when he is with her
    ^ Custody fight would be my guess.

Last Online
    20-11-2010 @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks for the info guys & possibly gals. It's not a custody battle btw, though I don't think I'm in a position to discuss the rest of the situation. I just needed help with this rather odd question.

Last Online
    07-08-2015 @ 05:55 PM
    [QUOTE=Concerned;1505301][FONT=Arial]

My 5-year-old son sleeps with his mother (who is Thai) in her bed when her boyfriend is out...
    I would be more concerned about WTF is the boy friend still sharing the bed for

Last Online
    Thanks for the info guys & possibly gals. It's not a custody battle btw, though I don't think I'm in a position to discuss the rest of the situation. I just needed help with this rather odd question.
    C'mon mate, you can't leave us hanging here. what's the go?

A bit more info please, or is this just a subtle troll?

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I suspect there might be an ulterior motive for said inquiries above. Farang think too much.

Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim
    I agree with Thetyim.
    What the heck can you do, but sleep with your parents, if they only have a one room abode. My wife would still sleep with her mom and dad, if she visited them, and not think it odd.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I agree with Thetyim.
    What the heck can you do, but sleep with your parents, if they only have a one room abode. My wife would still sleep with her mom and dad, if she visited them, and not think it odd.
    What about when mom and dad want to get down and dirty???

pompeybloke
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin
    Farang think too much.
    What are you?

Kids are kids regardless of 'culture' some sort it out earlier than others. 4 or 5 is the norm.

Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy
    Where there's a will there's a way. Anyway Buriramboy, I did ask my wife this question and she says she doesn't know. She has never heard,or seen, her folks doing the biz.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy
    Where there's a will there's a way. Anyway Buriramboy, I did ask my wife this question and she says she doesn't know. She has never heard,or seen, her folks doing the biz.
    Probably for the best, viewing shit like that could leave you mentally scared for life, but in all seriousness presuming that parents are responsible can't be good for their sex life.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    I agree with Thetyim.
    Kitchen table, stairs, toolshed, shower, garden, sofa, porch, back of the pickup, hanging over the garden wall, and and and

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information