Last Online
    04-08-2018 @ 04:18 AM

Transfer of US visa to new passport

I have a C1/D visa in my passport, that I obtained here in Bangkok.
    Now my passport is getting full, and I need to get a new from the Finnish Embassy.

Can I have my C1/D crew visa transferred from the old passport to the new? How long would this take, and what is the cost?

Any ideas? Thanks!
    -- I'm not completely useless. I can be used as a bad example. --

Last Online
    30-08-2017 @ 05:56 PM
    Hello Scandinavian,

My Thai wife just went through this with her passport. The consulate in Chiang Mai
    told her to retain and travel with her old passport for the visa as well as her new passport. She was granted entry to the U.S. without a problem last July. I hope this helps!

Last Online
    02-10-2013 @ 07:48 PM
    My Thai wife just got a new passport and adopted my last name on her new passport.

In her old passport she has her 10 year visa. So she doesn't need to get the visa transferred to the new one? But she changed her last name. Does she need to have a special document because she changed her last name?

If anybody knows the answer to this question, thanks for your reply.

Last Online
    07-02-2017 @ 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandinavian View Post
    I have a C1/D visa in my passport, that I obtained here in Bangkok.
    Now my passport is getting full, and I need to get a new from the Finnish Embassy.

Can I have my C1/D crew visa transferred from the old passport to the new? How long would this take, and what is the cost?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Don't think so.

When you get the new passport, the authorities will make a couple of holes in the old passport to cancel it. Ask them politely to avoid making any holes on the visa page.

Keep the old passport and bring it with you when you're out traveling with the new one.
    -: P A R A N H A :-

Last Online
    Years ago, thats what I did, traveled with the old passport together with the new. Now the Fin Emb told me they need to get my old passport back, since it contains a smart chip.
    So, visa needs to be transferred.

RIP
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    When I was travelling for work I was using up a UK passport ( filling all the pages ) in about 7 months.
    I had multiple entry visas valid, for a year, for many obscure countries.
    Passport office in London used to 'bond' the old one to the new one and put a sort of sealed 'clip' between the back cover of the new one and the front cover of the old one.
    When you filled in the entry form at the airport you used the number of the passport with the visa in - even if the passport was stamped 'cancelled' !
    Don't know if they do it now but it was quite common then .

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    13-03-2024 @ 04:10 PM
    As has been stated above always carry the old passport with the valid visa with you. Years ago when the "visa requirement" was lifted I travelled to the US and presented a new passport and was asked to produce my old password as their recorded showed that I still had a current visa. (UK Passport)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    Can't you just add pages to your passport. You can with US passports. Either way Thai immigration will provide a new visa stamp in the new passport.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    19-10-2023 @ 10:19 PM
    Its a US visa. And they will not transfer to new passport. If Fin Emb takes old one back, you will need to apply for new US visa. They should be able to remove chip.
    TH

Cool Cat
    Last Online
    15-03-2017 @ 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyman View Post
    When I was travelling for work I was using up a UK passport ( filling all the pages ) in about 7 months.
    I had multiple entry visas valid, for a year, for many obscure countries.
    Passport office in London used to 'bond' the old one to the new one and put a sort of sealed 'clip' between the back cover of the new one and the front cover of the old one.
    Same for me now, I've an European passport, they don't "bond" the passports but they always give me back the old one with the stamp "cancelled". As I change passport as often as you used to do, I travel sometime with up to three passports, custom officers are used to it, never had any problem.

It also depends of who renew your passport. If the person you talked to is new in the service, he's maybe not aware that you could be allowed to keep your old passport in some special situation. It doesn't harm to insist ...
    The things we regret most is the things we didn't do

Last Online
    No can not add pages. This shit is a mess, I have really no time now to get a new visa.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    You can request an expedited appointment by sending e-mail to visasbkk[at]state.gov. Details here
    Frequently Asked Questions - U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

Last Online
    ^Thanks mate. Already got a reply, they said:

"We do not transfer the visa. If your visa is still valid and the purpose of your travel is the same as your visa, you can travel to the U.S. using both of your passports.
    Thank you,

The Visa Information Service Team"

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Appears you asked if they will transfer the visa. Asked and answered.
    If the Fin Embassy is not going to give you the old passport back, you need to apply for a new visa. You need to ask for an expedited appointment to get a NEW visa for the new passport.
    TH

Thread Information