Thread: Seafood Bar BQ

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-11-2014 @ 09:25 AM
    Villa Sariano, Phala Beach, Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand

Seafood Bar BQ

For the 2nd time in a week, we went to Saemaesen seafood market nearby the former Saemaesen Depot which was used by the US Military during the Viet Nam war to store and issue ordinance used on the aircraft flying out of U-Tapao Airfield. Anyway, we purchased some fresh crab, squid, shrimp, shells and some rock lobster for our Bar BQ feast for 2. 2 kilo of crab, 1 kilo of squid, ½ kilo of shrimp, 1 kilo of rock lobster, and 1 kilo of shells. We stored the seafood in a cooler we brought along and the ice was provided for free. We used Old Bay seasoning and had lots of freshly made Thai seafood sauce. Here are some pictures of the before and after product. Aloy Mak.

Below: Carbs of multi variety. I stuck to the male blue crab as we don't care much for the eggs in most of the female crab. Prices depended on size. I got the medium to larger size crabs.

Below: More crab, some fish and some of the "rock lobster". All were fresh and still moving around. Well the fish wern't but they looked fresh and were kept in cold iced water.

Below: Shrimp/prawns of various variety and sizes. Again, price was based on size.

Below: Squid.

Below: More squid. and the best part about this is that they cleaned the squid for us at the same cost.

Below: After getting home and cleaning the crab and other seafood with fresh water, I prepared the crab for steaming. I prepared a 30% vinagar -70% water mixture and put it in a pot to boil. I then put a rack on the bottom which rested abouve the top otf the water. The crab were then layed on the rack with a generous sprinkling of Old Bay seasoning place on the top and bottom of each crab before placing on the rack. Then an additional sprinkling of Old Bay was placed on the top of the crab after the 2 layers of crab were onto top of the rack. The top of the pot was pot on and then steamed until the shell of the crab swere all red (approximately 7 min).

Below: and here are the squid, shrmip/prawns and shell grilling on the Bar BQ Grill.

Below: here are the crab when finished. It is important to note here that when the crap are steaming that they should not be in the water that is steaming them as that will make the crab meat soft and mushy. Also, when the crab are finished being steamed, they should be removed from the heat and left to set with the cover on for about 10 min before serving, this will the allow the meat to firm up and also keep the crab meat warm.
    The shrimp and squid don't have to be grilled for too long. The shrip shell should be red and the squid should be warm throughout and be firm on the outside but not over grilled.

Below: and the dinner table with the prepared food looked something like this.

Below: top it all off with some iced cold beer and there isn't too much better than that. Aloy Mak!!!!

"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....and it is all small stuff"

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    mmm...makes me hungry just looking at that lot...amazed that your stomach allowed the time for pics!..

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by klongmaster View Post
    mmm...makes me hungry just looking at that lot...amazed that your stomach allowed the time for pics!..
    the meal was a bit tasty and we had some left overs for lunch the following day.....

well, I had this TD thread in mind and knew how much the readership appreciates pictures with the commentary.

RIP
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    Bloody hell !
    It is past midnight and those pics have me thinking about seeing what is in my freezer !

Suggestion for next time -

Greek recipie
    "Mermaids Kisses "

get very small squid
    pull their heads off and clean out the gunk inside and the purple skin on the outside
    Chop the tentacles into little bits
    Peel and chop up some prawns
    put the tentacle bits and prawns into a marinade of olive oil and garlic for an hour or two
    Stuff the squid bodies with the marinated bits and pieces
    Close them off with a toothpick
    3 mins each side on the barbie
    Enjoy !

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyman View Post
    Bloody hell !
    It is past midnight and those pics have me thinking about seeing what is in my freezer !

Suggestion for next time -

Greek recipie
    "Mermaids Kisses "

get very small squid
    pull their heads off and clean out the gunk inside and the purple skin on the outside
    Chop the tentacles into little bits
    Peel and chop up some prawns
    put the tentacle bits and prawns into a marinade of olive oil and garlic for an hour or two
    Stuff the squid bodies with the marinated bits and pieces
    Close them off with a toothpick
    3 mins each side on the barbie
    Enjoy !

sounds inviting Happy. I may just have to run over to the Samaesen seafood market again this weekend to pick up the ingrediants for this Greek seafood masterpiece and then give it a try. sounds delicious.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Now thats what i would like to see in Thailand- convert a couple of these ubiquitous bladdy Thai/ Chinese seafood restaurants- they're everywhere- into a Greek/ Meditteranean style seafood restaurant. Show some imagination.

Last Online
    11-09-2013 @ 07:55 PM
    Looks great. I have just had a huge breakfast but looking at those pictures have made me hungry again.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thungsongsausage View Post
    Looks great. I have just had a huge breakfast but looking at those pictures have made me hungry again.
    no worries partner, if you hungry again, chow down. leftovers are gone otherwise I'd offer them.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Now thats what i would like to see in Thailand- convert a couple of these ubiquitous bladdy Thai/ Chinese seafood restaurants- they're everywhere- into a Greek/ Meditteranean style seafood restaurant. Show some imagination.
    I love Mediterranean style food, Watching a Eric Bordain episode in turkey, got my mouth watering, would kill for this food here. There is actually a Turk cooking in a food stall in Udon but he just makes poor Italian style food.
    Note to self, must talk to him on the next visit.
    There can’t be good living where there is not good drinking

RIP
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Are ya gonna talk Turkey with him PP?

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang
    Humour BG: that's the spirit and well appreciated...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    I don't really understand Turkey BG, Unlike yr ex Pres who is sharing a joke with another turkey.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA Traveler
    Below: Carbs of multi variety. I stuck to the male blue crab as we don't care much for the eggs in most of the female crab.
    the best bit!

Last Online
    02-08-2011 @ 07:48 PM
    Did you kill or numb the crab first in the freezer, or just steam alive?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by ossies View Post
    who cares ?

Last Online
    @
    After seeing this thread I feel a little worried with regard to staging a suitably fitting return barbeque this afternoon ST. You certainly set high entertainment and dining standards mate.

I think it will be a surf and turf menu with my wife's famous pork spare ribs being one of the main dishes.

Anyway I best go and check if there is gas in the barbie!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    crabs get steamed alive. just the way it is.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    After seeing this thread I feel a little worried with regard to staging a suitably fitting return barbeque this afternoon ST. You certainly set high entertainment and dining standards mate.

I think it will be a surf and turf menu with my wife's famous pork spare ribs being one of the main dishes.

Anyway I best go and check if there is gas in the barbie!
    I'm sure that whatever is put on the table will be expertly prepared and of the highest culinary delight but as long as there is some cold liquid refreshment to wash it down, it's all a mute point. looking forward to the evening out.... and being initated to the family environment of the dark side.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    who cares ?
    yup, you got it KW! don't really give a rats ass in this case.

Scene, not herd.
    Last Online
    16-06-2010 @ 12:13 AM
    Don't eat too many of those clams, they will give you the shits.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    we were safe in this case, we only ate a few dozen and the seafood sauce and cold beer to help wash them down may have cured any potential for the runs.

Thread Information