Last Online
    20-08-2012 @ 02:41 PM

Rubber Tree Tapping

We have 1,500 rubber trees that are now over 7 years old and are even larger than the average because we consistently fertilized and also irrigated during the first 3 years.

My problem is that I have decided to wait to start tapping the trees until the price if rubber goes on up...It seems like a waste of time to expend all that effort for such a small return...But, the family that is going to do the work for us and collect 40%(at least) of the money is trying to tell my wife that it is not good for the trees to let them go like this...I told my wife I never heard of such a thing, but I am not an expert in this and don't know the answer...

Anyone has knowledge of this, I would appreciate some input

Stoneman

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    you can start tapping the trees now

it doesn't do any harm not to tap them!

I had a g/f whose family had rubber as their main income; they never said anything about damage being done to trees from not tapping, but you can overdo it

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    The price of rubber follows the price of oil. Futures predictions says rubber is stable until Christmas unless Iran and Isreal go to war. The rubber season will soon be apon us, well when it stops raining. The land owners round here rent the land to the peasants at a fixed price, it makes them work harder and also protect the trees better. A rubber tree is worth 1000 baht in wood value.
    How much land are you 1500 trees on? And of course they wanna cut, until they do they no have money. Also where is the the land and what type of rubber do you have? 600 or 6610?

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by the dogcatcher View Post
    The price of rubber follows the price of oil. Futures predictions says rubber is stable until Christmas unless Iran and Isreal go to war. The rubber season will soon be apon us, well when it stops raining. The land owners round here rent the land to the peasants at a fixed price, it makes them work harder and also protect the trees better. A rubber tree is worth 1000 baht in wood value.
    How much land are you 1500 trees on? And of course they wanna cut, until they do they no have money. Also where is the the land and what type of rubber do you have? 600 or 6610?
    The trees are on 23 rai of land owned by my wife...The land is located about 60km west and 20km south of Nong Khai...The trees are all RIM 600...

Stoneman

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post

I had a g/f whose family had rubber as their main income; they never said anything about damage being done to trees from not tapping, but you can overdo it
    Dr...Thanks for the advice..It is good to have confirmation of my thoughts...Am thinking that we will wait...

Stoneman

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    ^what is the price of rubber these days, and how much would that equate to say per month per hundred rubber trees, or whatever????

Reason i ask is that i have about 3,000 rubber trees, only 3 1/2 years old though so got about the same again to wait before tapping.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bkkstoneman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post

Dr...Thanks for the advice..It is good to have confirmation of my thoughts...Am thinking that we will wait...

Stoneman

you can wait, but if someone wants to tap them properly without damage to the trees, then it is income for them and maybe some for you

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    You can tap the trees now, at 7 years old. Don't get muppets to do it though. Your yeild will depend on the land. Our yeild in Rayong is poor, in Malysia the yeilds are better. Futures prices I think are 70 baht a kilo for the mats, can't remember but as I said rubber prices follow oil. If Iran cuts off the oil then opec say they have reserves enough, so for now prices are stable. You cannot tap the rubber in the rain, which you have plenty more to come I think. I don't see the point in waiting. Also your planting density feels low, i'm not sure but approx 75 a rai seems low.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    ^what is the price of rubber these days, and how much would that equate to say per month per hundred rubber trees, or whatever????

Reason i ask is that i have about 3,000 rubber trees, only 3 1/2 years old though so got about the same again to wait before tapping.
    Again depends on yield. RM 600 is about 250 kg per rai per year. 6610 can be double that and there are gas injection methods that can make it even more. I've never seen that one in action. I think the raw latex prices at mo are 50 baht a kilo, as I said goes with oil price.

Last Online
    18-09-2014 @ 08:50 PM
    Waiing for the rubber price to rise all your trees will be dead its like growing corn and waiting 6 months for the price to rise and your crop is gone. Start tapping now. By the way how much are you looking to get per kilo.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by artist View Post
    Waiing for the rubber price to rise all your trees will be dead its like growing corn and waiting 6 months for the price to rise and your crop is gone. Start tapping now. By the way how much are you looking to get per kilo.
    Raw, isn't it 50 baht a kilo?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    But, the family that is going to do the work for us and collect 40%(at least) of the money is trying to tell my wife that it is not good for the trees to let them go like this...
    Cui bono? Don't you think if it weren't good for the trees not to be tapped that they would've gone extinct long before humans ever set foot on the earth. No my friend, they're just eager to get their hands on some cash. You make the call, not them. Just say no; and wait.
    Eat more Cheezy Poofs!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by BugginOut View Post
    But, the family that is going to do the work for us and collect 40%(at least) of the money is trying to tell my wife that it is not good for the trees to let them go like this...
    Cui bono? Don't you think if it weren't good for the trees not to be tapped that they would've gone extinct long before humans ever set foot on the earth. No my friend, they're just eager to get their hands on some cash. You make the call, not them. Just say no; and wait.
    Yes, but 7 years is the norm.

Last Online
    29-01-2016 @ 05:41 PM
    Tap the bloody trees mate-get some income.
    Why dont people grow trees like teak?
    Twelve year cycle and is worth shitloads.
    Luxury hardwoods are the best investment,believe me.

Last Online
    25-07-2023 @ 12:09 AM
    "Why dont people grow trees like teak?
    Twelve year cycle and is worth shitloads."

Cambtek can you explain what a twelve year cycle is.
    I am very interested in growing teak.

Last Online
    09-01-2024 @ 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bkkstoneman View Post
    We have 1,500 rubber trees that are now over 7 years old and are even larger than the average because we consistently fertilized and also irrigated during the first 3 years.

My problem is that I have decided to wait to start tapping the trees until the price if rubber goes on up...It seems like a waste of time to expend all that effort for such a small return...But, the family that is going to do the work for us and collect 40%(at least) of the money is trying to tell my wife that it is not good for the trees to let them go like this...I told my wife I never heard of such a thing, but I am not an expert in this and don't know the answer...

Anyone has knowledge of this, I would appreciate some input

Stoneman
    Time has gone by, did you tap or wait?

Thread Information