Last Online
    01-02-2010 @ 07:57 PM

What Plant Is This?

I know that some of you here are experts.

What did I buy?

Thanks.

Last Online
    How do I best take care of it?

Would it be better to de-pot and plant it?

All help appreciated.

Last Online

Last Online
    more ...

Last Online
    07-02-2020 @ 08:20 AM
    Foliage plants are very difficult to identify. My first guess would be Dieffenbachia... Dieffenbachia macrophylia?

But whatever it is, looking at your pictures, it desperately wants more room to grow, as those roots are already popping up from the soil. It's screaming for a bigger pot and some fresh soil should do, or when potting directly into the soil i would make sure it's fast draining, very loose and well aerated soil that can be kept damp but not soggy. If you find the roots have attached itself strongly to the sides of the pot, stop pulling as you will damage it roots. Dig an over-sized hole and lower it inclusive the old pot. Take a hammer and gently smash the terracotta up, like you would do with an boiled egg before peeling. (you'd better not use a hammer there!) Remove as much pieces as you can without severing any roots. Add soil and nobody will know!

Maybe there's somebody around here to identify it properly, but if no one else answers, I would treat it as if it were a Dieffenbachia, i.e:

Water: Water regularly and deeply but allow the soil to dry between waterings. Water less frequently in the cold season.

Soil: A rich but well-draining soil is best. Add a bit of pumice or small stones to your potting soil to improve the drainage and make sure you have holes in the bottom of your pots!

Light: Dieffenbachia will not do well in direct sun and their colors will fade if they are in intensely bright light. The best spot is a med/bright indirect spot. They will do okay in a low light situation for a while but eventually they will grow long and spindly as they stretch toward a distant light source.

Ideal Temperature: Average to warm conditions. Dieffenbachia lose their lower leaves more readily under 'cold' conditions. The cooler the temperatures the less you will probably have to water so pay attention.

Humidity: Humidity is a good thing for Dieffenbachia as it is for most tropicals. They’re native to tropical America (Costa Rica and Colombia for example) as well as the West Indies - very muggy places! Mist the foliage often, place on a pebble tray or both.

Maintenance: If the plant becomes too tall or leggy some cutting back may be in order. Also, dieffenbachia can grow pretty fast in the right conditions so annual or bi-annual up potting in the spring may be in order. Check the roots every spring to see how much room they have.

Pests and Diseases: They may get scale or spider mites but are not especially prone to infestations. Stem and root rot may occur with poor drainage or over-watering especially if temperatures are low.

Last but not least: If it's a Diffenbachia, beware! The common name of Dieffenbachia is “dumb cane” and refers to the toxic sap of the plant which contains calcium oxalate crystals which can cause painful and dangerous swelling of the mouth and throat. So KEEP DIEFFENBACHIA OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN, PETS, and anyone else who thinks eating houseplants is a good idea. And wash your hands after you play with or prune your plant.

Last Online
    09-04-2017 @ 12:51 AM
    Looks like a Dieffenbachia to me, guys grow them in the office. The stem is not too strong, and these things usually end up tied to broom handles and such to keep them from collapsing. they got one to grow to about 5 metres tall before they cut it up and repotted it into about a dozen new ones.

RIP
    Last Online
    08-09-2010 @ 02:48 PM
    Runcorn, Cheshire, UK formerly Epsom Surrey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipsy
    Last but not least: If it's a Diffenbachia, beware! The common name of Dieffenbachia is “dumb cane” and refers to the toxic sap of the plant which contains calcium oxalate crystals which can cause painful and dangerous swelling of the mouth and throat. So KEEP DIEFFENBACHIA OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN, PETS, and anyone else who thinks eating houseplants is a good idea. And wash your hands after you play with or prune your plant.
    Very good advice about the dieffenbachia.

I think the one pictured is the dieffenbachia amonea

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    29-02-2012 @ 08:44 PM
    I asked my wife and she told me that the thaļ name used for this is "seti winson", and it's expensive.

We have two of them near our Sala. Dieffenbachia as Gipsy said.

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Well I am shocked.
    We have got a load of these things potted and kept either in the garden or in the house and I never knew that they had toxic sap.
    Thanks

Last Online
    I am shocked and astounded by your knowledge.

Thanks VERY much, all.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    Weird dief. Mine always had lots of white veins on the leaves.

Thread Information