Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 201
  1. #1
    The Fool on the Hill bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    นนทบุรี
    Posts
    4,649

    Memorial Day Holiday

    MEMORIAL DAY

    Just what does it mean to you?

    As we enter the USA Holiday Weekend of Memorial Day – the unofficial opening of our summer beach season, we barbeque, party, vacation, and generally have a good old time.

    Yet, the reason behind this Holiday is to remember that:

    Freedom Isn’t Free… Somebody had to pay.





    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press.
    It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.
    It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
    Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC


    VETERANS:

    Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

    Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's alloy forged in the refinery of adversity.

    Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem.

    You can't tell a vet just by looking.

    What is a vet?

    He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

    He is the Drill Instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

    He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

    He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back AT ALL.

    He is the "parade-riding" Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

    She - or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

    He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

    He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

    He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

    He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

    He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

    So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say "Thank You".

    That's all most of them need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been or were awarded.


    So, just what will you be doing this Memorial Day Weekend?


    NOTE: although this thread start identifies primarily with the American Veterans I salute all our allies, we have each others backs. Thank You to All.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Some are easily seduced by a certain elixir....

  3. #3
    Head Skivvie Stacker Storekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PACNORWEST
    Posts
    11,041
    Must admit I've often looked forward to it simply because it represented a 3 day weekend. And often as the first 3 day weekend after none in March and April.

  4. #4
    I'm in Jail

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Posts
    19,330
    Baseball. BBQ. Camping.

    Until these repubtards locked us into perpetual war heroes were in the distant past.

    We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.

  5. #5
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    13-01-2016 @ 11:14 PM
    Posts
    3,982
    do they ever get a choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Baseball. BBQ. Camping.

    Until these repubtards locked us into perpetual war heroes were in the distant past.

    We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Baseball. BBQ. Camping.

    Until these repubtards locked us into perpetual war heroes were in the distant past.
    The perpetual war and empire extension has been a permanent institution equally by both Republican and Democratic goofs.


    It's not political, but an extension of the culture.

  7. #7
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Posts
    62,524

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Stinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Next door to digit
    Posts
    11,170
    Memorial Day, the perfect excuse have a few beers and kick back with like minded indoctrinated idiots who believe that dead soldiers died for their countries freedom and not in the pursuit of stealing another countries resources and installing a political regime more likely to do business with us on our terms.

  9. #9
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Posts
    62,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    Memorial Day, the perfect excuse have a few beers and kick back with like minded indoctrinated idiots who believe that dead soldiers died for their countries freedom and not in the pursuit of stealing another countries resources and installing a political regime more likely to do business with us on our terms.
    yeah, Adolf who?


  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Stinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Next door to digit
    Posts
    11,170
    One just war does not make all wars just.

  11. #11
    The Fool on the Hill bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    นนทบุรี
    Posts
    4,649

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Stinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Next door to digit
    Posts
    11,170
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Are there really still people alive that believe this was an attack by Islamist fanatics, I thought the word had already gotten out already?
    Ok I shouldn't be telling you this so I'll only tell you the once, Shhhh,,,, it was a false flag attack designed to create fear in the masses and get them to accept new draconian laws that infringe mahoosively on their God given freedoms and civil rights.
    Yeah I know it looks far fetched at a glance but it's the truth! Just look at how many rights freedoms you've lost since this attack on America by, America? Bush? Israel? Saudi? Banks?
    And what about WTC7? Come on now you guys ain't really that gullible are you?
    Time to wake up and smell the "you're so fukt and you don't even know it" flavoured coffee.

  13. #13
    The Fool on the Hill bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    นนทบุรี
    Posts
    4,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky
    Ok I shouldn't be telling you this so I'll only tell you the once, Shhhh,,,, it was a false flag attack designed to create fear in the masses and get them to accept new draconian laws that infringe mahoosively on their God given freedoms and civil rights.
    https://factreal.wordpress.com/2010/...ainst-america/

    1979 Iran Hostage Crisis: seizure of US Tehran Embassy, Iran (Nov 4, 1979 for 444 days)
    1983 Bombing of US Beirut Embassy, Lebanon (April 18, 1983)
    1983 Bombing of US Marine barracks, Beirut, Lebanon (Oct 23, 1983)
    1983 Bombing of US Kuwait Embassy (Dec 12, 1983)
    1984 Bombing of US Beirut Embassy (again) (Sept 20, 1984)
    1984 Kuwait Airlines Flight 221 hijacked to Tehran American passengers murdered (Dec 3, 1984)
    1985 Hijacking TWA Flight 847 hijacked to Beirut (June 14, 1985)
    1985 Hijacking cruise ship Achille Lauro, wheelchair-bound American is thrown overboard & killed (Oct 7, 1985)
    1986 Bombing Berlin disco frequented by US servicemen (April 5, 1986)
    1988 Bombing Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, 100s murdered (Dec 21, 1988)
    1993 First bombing World Trade Center, New York City, 7 Killed, 1,042 wounded (Feb 26, 1993)
    1993 Foiled NY Landmarks plot by Omar Abdel Rahman to blow up the Holland and Lincoln tunnels
    and other New York City landmarks
    1993 Attempted Assassination of Pres. Bush Sr. during visit to Kuwait (April 14, 1993)
    1993 Black Hawk Down: shot down US helicopters in Mogadishu, Somalia,
    during Operation Restore Hope (Oct 3-4, 1993)
    1994 Plot to assassinate President Clinton during visit to the Philippines
    1995 Failed Project Bojinka by Ramzi Yousef to blow up a dozen US airliners over the Pacific (end in Jan 1995)
    1995 Bombing US military headquarters, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Nov 13, 1995)
    1996 Bombing Khobar Towers, Saudi Arabia, housing U.S. foreign military personnel (Jun 25, 1996)
    1998 Bombing U.S. Nairobi Embassy, Kenya, Africa (Aug 7, 1998)
    1998 Bombing U.S. Dar es Salaam Embassy, Tanzania, Africa (Aug 7, 1998)
    1999 Foiled LAX Millennium plot by Ahmed Ressam to bomb Los Angeles International Airport
    (Ressam was arrested at US Canadian border)
    2000 Failed USS The Sullivans bombing that was refueling in the port of Aden, Yemen. (Jan 3, 2000)
    2000 Bombing USS Cole in the port of Aden, Yemen, 17 U.S. Navy sailors murdered (Oct 12, 2000)
    (The USS Cole was not engaged in any combat during this period)
    2000 Bombing plaza across from US Manila Embassy (Dec 30, 2000)
    2001 9/11 attacks: World Trade Center, Flight 93, Pentagon, 3000+ murdered (Sept 11, 2001)

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Stinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Next door to digit
    Posts
    11,170
    Look I dont want to get too far into this right now coz I started drinking and I usually make dick of myself when I've been drinking, but on first glance a good deal of those are bs, I mean are you seriously go into to throw in stuff like the first bombing of the WTC.
    I'm going back to my vodka.
    But as a rather buff American senator once said "I'll be back!"

  15. #15
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Posts
    62,524
    So looks like Shaggy has yet another nick, the retarded twat.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky
    Ok I shouldn't be telling you this so I'll only tell you the once, Shhhh,,,, it was a false flag attack designed to create fear in the masses and get them to accept new draconian laws that infringe mahoosively on their God given freedoms and civil rights.
    https://factreal.wordpress.com/2010/...ainst-america/

    1979 Iran Hostage Crisis: seizure of US Tehran Embassy, Iran (Nov 4, 1979 for 444 days)
    1983 Bombing of US Beirut Embassy, Lebanon (April 18, 1983)
    1983 Bombing of US Marine barracks, Beirut, Lebanon (Oct 23, 1983)
    1983 Bombing of US Kuwait Embassy (Dec 12, 1983)
    1984 Bombing of US Beirut Embassy (again) (Sept 20, 1984)
    1984 Kuwait Airlines Flight 221 hijacked to Tehran American passengers murdered (Dec 3, 1984)
    1985 Hijacking TWA Flight 847 hijacked to Beirut (June 14, 1985)
    1985 Hijacking cruise ship Achille Lauro, wheelchair-bound American is thrown overboard & killed (Oct 7, 1985)
    1986 Bombing Berlin disco frequented by US servicemen (April 5, 1986)
    1988 Bombing Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, 100s murdered (Dec 21, 1988)
    1993 First bombing World Trade Center, New York City, 7 Killed, 1,042 wounded (Feb 26, 1993)
    1993 Foiled NY Landmarks plot by Omar Abdel Rahman to blow up the Holland and Lincoln tunnels
    and other New York City landmarks
    1993 Attempted Assassination of Pres. Bush Sr. during visit to Kuwait (April 14, 1993)
    1993 Black Hawk Down: shot down US helicopters in Mogadishu, Somalia,
    during Operation Restore Hope (Oct 3-4, 1993)
    1994 Plot to assassinate President Clinton during visit to the Philippines
    1995 Failed Project Bojinka by Ramzi Yousef to blow up a dozen US airliners over the Pacific (end in Jan 1995)
    1995 Bombing US military headquarters, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Nov 13, 1995)
    1996 Bombing Khobar Towers, Saudi Arabia, housing U.S. foreign military personnel (Jun 25, 1996)
    1998 Bombing U.S. Nairobi Embassy, Kenya, Africa (Aug 7, 1998)
    1998 Bombing U.S. Dar es Salaam Embassy, Tanzania, Africa (Aug 7, 1998)
    1999 Foiled LAX Millennium plot by Ahmed Ressam to bomb Los Angeles International Airport
    (Ressam was arrested at US Canadian border)
    2000 Failed USS The Sullivans bombing that was refueling in the port of Aden, Yemen. (Jan 3, 2000)
    2000 Bombing USS Cole in the port of Aden, Yemen, 17 U.S. Navy sailors murdered (Oct 12, 2000)
    (The USS Cole was not engaged in any combat during this period)
    2000 Bombing plaza across from US Manila Embassy (Dec 30, 2000)
    2001 9/11 attacks: World Trade Center, Flight 93, Pentagon, 3000+ murdered (Sept 11, 2001)
    ....and then compare the atrocities and nasties that Americans have put upon the world for decades on decades.

    Extremely weak.
    Expected from a catatonic flag-waving sort.

  17. #17
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    Memorial Day, the perfect excuse have a few beers and kick back with like minded indoctrinated idiots who believe that dead soldiers died for their countries freedom and not in the pursuit of stealing another countries resources and installing a political regime more likely to do business with us on our terms.
    yeah, Adolf who?

    If you want to commemorate those who defeated Hitler then the 1st of May or December 18th, Stalins birthday, are the usual days for that.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Memorial Day weekend and parts of the US will freeze. Love this Globull Warming, eh?

    Late-Season Freeze to Threaten Northeast Friday Night

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Texas honors it own very special hero this Memorial Day.

    The Texas Senate passed House Bill 1187 designating a segment of U.S. Hwy 287 in Midlothian, as the Chris Kyle Memorial Highway. The Texas House passed the bill earlier this month. The bill will now go to Governor Greg Abbott for signing and making the bill law.

    Midlothian is 25 miles southwest of Dallas, Texas.

    Chris Kyle, was a Navy SEAL and author of the New York Times bestseller American Sniper.

    A Deplorable Bitter Clinger

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    The Old Guard places over 228,000 flags at Arlington National Cemetery


  21. #21
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    If you want to commemorate those who defeated Hitler then the 1st of May or December 18th, Stalins birthday, are the usual days for that.
    Another very intriguing thread possibility that I have considered starting but probably would get binned.

    The Russians won the war in Europe and the Americans won the war in the Pacific.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    If you want to commemorate those who defeated Hitler then the 1st of May or December 18th, Stalins birthday, are the usual days for that.
    Another very intriguing thread possibility that I have considered starting but probably would get binned.

    The Russians won the war in Europe and the Americans won the war in the Pacific.
    The Russians won the war in Europe???

  23. #23
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    ^ Based on what I have read it was the Russian's that defeated Hitler and The Third Reich.

    There are a couple of brilliant documentaries on YouTube mate confirming my belief mate.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    ^ Based on what I have read it was the Russian's that defeated Hitler and The Third Reich.

    There are a couple of brilliant documentaries on YouTube mate confirming my belief mate.
    We guess the invasion of Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge don't count then???

  25. #25
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    ^ I must look into those battles mate.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •