Page 744 of 761 FirstFirst ... 244644694734736737738739740741742743744745746747748749750751752754 ... LastLast
Results 18,576 to 18,600 of 19007
  1. #18576
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Add the muted and appalling response to the covid 19 debacle, and it’s easy to see the collapse of this tawdry monolith.
    UK deaths now top those in Spain and France.

    The most muted and appalling response to COVID 19 in Europe has, by any measure, been supplied by the UK government.

  2. #18577
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    22-07-2020 @ 11:11 PM
    Posts
    14,551
    you are being a bit harsh on the UK government approach to this, they couldn't have done anything to improve things, it was too late already 2 weeks before they started to take actions

    everyone in Europe was unprepared and in denial over the whole thing, and still is for that matter

    stop the lockdown now,

  3. #18578
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Posts
    14,354
    No, you are mistaken. Denmark began its quarantine protocols in the beginning of March when the Italians were reeling from under the onslaught of the dead, a situation that BoJo and his henchmen treated with flippant disregard and did not address until the last weeks of March when they finally heeded the Italian warnings albeit three fucking weeks too fucking late - over 130,000 people were crammed into the stands at Cheltenham racecourse over four days up until March 13, four days before that fat, hapless Tory cvunt closed things down.

    But unlike France and Germany, Britain had under the Tories dnuded the NHS of funds for a decade to the point that it had the least number of ICU beds and ventilators, and PPE in fucking Western Europe.

    England will have the highest death count in all of Europe because of the criminal negligence of the worst government in living memory.

    That fat bastard and Goebbels Cummings should be strung up for the crows to feed on.

  4. #18579
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,304
    And all switch-hitter sees is an opportunity to stick the boot into the EU.

    What a risible clown he is.

    DF - it was indeed already too late two weeks before they took action. So they should have acted three weeks prior, ffs.

    It would also have helped if they hadn't been waging an austerity war against the NHS which began under Cameron.

    The clown also mainly to blame for BREXIT, by pure coincidence.

    But yeah, let's give the NHS a round of applause on Downing Street instead.

    I bet that goes down really well on the wards.

    Last edited by cyrille; 01-05-2020 at 02:04 PM.

  5. #18580
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    22-07-2020 @ 11:11 PM
    Posts
    14,551
    Like France and Italy, governments have been cutting deep into their Healthcare facilities for decades, exactly like the UK did with the NHS

    the number of exposure and death is not related to how late they acted, even 3 weeks was too late, FFS even 1 month prior was too late

    the greatest number is also linked to the size of the population, I think 75millions in the UK

    the blame is on every governments since 2000, and let's not forget that the Swedish model is working with no lockdown, so we actually fucked ourselves over this

  6. #18581
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    22-07-2020 @ 11:11 PM
    Posts
    14,551
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    UK deaths now top those in Spain and France.

    The most muted and appalling response to COVID 19 in Europe has, by any measure, been supplied by the UK government.
    bigger population in the UK, so perfectly normal and in line with statistics

  7. #18582
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    22,806
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    UK deaths now top those in Spain and France.

    The most muted and appalling response to COVID 19 in Europe has, by any measure, been supplied by the UK government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    bigger population in the UK, so perfectly normal and in line with statistics
    Making shit up again?

    Brexit - It's Still On!-screen-shot-2020-05-01-19-a


    List of European Union member states by population - Wikipedia

  8. #18583
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    22-07-2020 @ 11:11 PM
    Posts
    14,551
    so the 3 countries have the same population, the statistics are still in line with normal

    nothing to do with the lockdown slowing things down, au contraire, since the number keeps going up in Italy, France and Spain

    interesting that in Germany where the lockdown was not that strict, they have been lower numbers

    and of course the Swedish model that is proving to the world that lockdowns was pointless,

  9. #18584
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    22-07-2020 @ 11:11 PM
    Posts
    14,551
    I also think the UK is better equipped collecting stats accurately than France or Italy, hence it could explain the small lead in the UK

    again, statistically meaningless and perfectly in line with normal for the UK, regardless of the lockdown "trigger" date

    anyway, it's not over, numbers will keep going up, so out of control

  10. #18585
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Speaking directly from the inside of a Government office, I can reveal that almost all Brexit related (it is referred to as EU-exit within these corridors) programmes have been halted in favour of COVID-19 related activities. Bizarrely enough, the entire machinery focused on processes for collecting funds (Customs Declaration, VAT, PAYE, Business Tax etc) is reversed completely and its main objective is now to build processes and technology to support PAYING funds.

    That said, I would be incredibly surprised if the current dates aren't adjusted during the negotiations beginning May 11.

  11. #18586
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    22,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I also think the UK is better equipped collecting stats accurately than France or Italy, hence it could explain the small lead in the UK
    It surprises me that you think that, seeing as France has the CNI and the UK has nothing similar.

  12. #18587
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    22-07-2020 @ 11:11 PM
    Posts
    14,551
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    It surprises me that you think that, seeing as France has the CNI and the UK has nothing similar.
    how can the CNI create better statistics when you are sick

    it doesn't tell you if you have COVID or not on the CNI, and that information couldn't be used under privacy laws if there was such mechanism

    and you don't need your passport or CNI to get into a hospital,

    god, you think in very strange ways, Cy

  13. #18588
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    you think in very strange ways, Cy


    You've been so pre-occupied with your trademark 'just post the opposite of whatever the other person is posting' approach that you're getting a bit confused.

    As for 'thinking'... why not give it a shot?

    What have you got to lose?

  14. #18589
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Posts
    14,354
    The Swedes have the highest COVID death rate per capita and much higher than its Nordic neighbours.

  15. #18590
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    22-07-2020 @ 11:11 PM
    Posts
    14,551
    the collection of death certificates and patient COVID reporting is done manually in France, information that is collected by telephone in a XLS spreadsheet at the MoH

    during week-end, they can't report death certificates, so there will be some seasonality in the reporting on Monday

    I believe the NHS has a fully automated process for that, much more advanced, and the privacy laws in the UK might not be as strict, so SS numbers are probably used and tracked for COVID

  16. #18591
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    22-07-2020 @ 11:11 PM
    Posts
    14,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    The Swedes have the highest COVID death rate per capita and much higher than its Nordic neighbours.
    not per 1mil resident, check your stats, they have one of the lowest compared to France, the UK and Italy

    and they are close to 25% of the population exposed to the virus, while France and the UK are near 5%, so our numbers will still go up

    the lockdown was the stupidest idea on earth, and we are all going to pay the price for it because incompetent governments have been neglecting our Healthcare system for decades

  17. #18592
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Like France and Italy, governments have been cutting deep into their Healthcare facilities for decades, exactly like the UK did with the NHS

    the number of exposure and death is not related to how late they acted, even 3 weeks was too late, FFS even 1 month prior was too late

    the greatest number is also linked to the size of the population, I think 75millions in the UK

    the blame is on every governments since 2000, and let's not forget that the Swedish model is working with no lockdown, so we actually fucked ourselves over this
    Pardon my french, but the Swedish version isn't working at all. In order to get an accurate view of the distribution, one must take the population density into account. In the UK, the population density is 274 people per km2. In Sweden it's 23. Here is an overview of the spread in a couple of countries with population AND density taken into account:


    Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 09.33.00.png - ForumFiles

  18. #18593
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    22-07-2020 @ 11:11 PM
    Posts
    14,551
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post


    You've been so pre-occupied with your trademark 'just post the opposite of whatever the other person is posting' approach that you're getting a bit confused.

    As for 'thinking'... why not give it a shot?

    What have you got to lose?
    I post logical things, which for you is very confusing, hence why you like to send your ridiculous and pointless summons to everyone on TD

  19. #18594
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    and they are close to 25% of the population exposed to the virus,
    There are no statistics available to confirm this. You're simply speculating.

  20. #18595
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    so the 3 countries have the same population, the statistics are still in line with normal

    nothing to do with the lockdown slowing things down, au contraire, since the number keeps going up in Italy, France and Spain

    interesting that in Germany where the lockdown was not that strict, they have been lower numbers

    and of course the Swedish model that is proving to the world that lockdowns was pointless,
    German lockdown has been strict and was applied early. In Bavaria companies were forcing employees that went to South Tyrol in Feb to self isolate. Home working was introduced mid march. Lockdown started in earnest 16 march.

    Please don't make things up butters...

  21. #18596
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    22,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    German lockdown has been strict and was applied early. In Bavaria companies were forcing employees that went to South Tyrol in Feb to self isolate. Home working was introduced mid march. Lockdown started in earnest 16 march.
    Including a very quick response to potential infections and massive testing

  22. #18597
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    22,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    Pardon my french, but the Swedish version isn't working at all. In order to get an accurate view of the distribution, one must take the population density into account. In the UK, the population density is 274 people per km2. In Sweden it's 23. Here is an overview of the spread in a couple of countries with population AND density taken into account:
    Statistics was my least favourite subject at uni . . . because you can play it any which way. Very large parts of Sweden are uninhabited, so that skews the numbers.

  23. #18598
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    Statistics was my least favourite subject at uni . . . because you can play it any which way. Very large parts of Sweden are uninhabited, so that skews the numbers.
    You see, statistics...is something of a speciality to me.

    For what it's worth, 3% (2018) of Sweden has been built on. For the UK the number is 5.9% (2017). What makes the REAL difference is the cities. Sweden's 10th largest city has a population of 93,347. Just to give you an idea of the magnitude of the difference; Southport, with a population of 93,426 ranks as the 90th largest city in the UK. A pandemic spreads predominantly in population-dense areas. That is the reason why they have introduced social distancing (should be called PHYSICAL distancing, really).

    As I said, the distribution of the pandemic should be measured nationally by using population and population density. That is the ONLY way you compare countries. And from that perspective, you only have to look at Norway and Finland (where there's a similar population density) to realise that Sweden is doing a piss poor job controlling the rate and volume of the spread.

  24. #18599
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Posts
    14,354
    I'm not sure of the methodology required in establish this proof but I think the extraordinarily low infection rate and its corresponding death count in Thailand could be attributed to the widespread cognitive impairment manifested by the population.

    Any ideas anyone?

  25. #18600
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    22-07-2020 @ 11:11 PM
    Posts
    14,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    There are no statistics available to confirm this. You're simply speculating.
    I think London Imperial College did the stats regarding this, and they have been pretty good so far in their estimates

Page 744 of 761 FirstFirst ... 244644694734736737738739740741742743744745746747748749750751752754 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •