Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Posts
    61,284

    British Backpacker makes history

    Something to be remembered for I suppose.

    A British backpacker killed by a sea snake in Australia has been remembered as a kind-hearted young man who made everyone laugh.


    Harry Evans died on Thursday just two hours after he was bitten while working on a fishing trawler off the Northern Territory, near the remote island of Groote Eylandt.

    The 23-year-old was the first person ever to die from a sea snake bite in Australia, and would have been saved if he had received anti-venom in time
    .

    You would think fishing boats in Oz would carry the stuff.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,837
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    You would think fishing boats in Oz would carry the stuff.
    Would you, when no-one has ever died from a bite?
    Fact is these kraits have quite small mouths and are very timid. You'd have to be trying to get bitten. The fool must have put his finger in it's mouth or something.
    I wonder if he had a work permit.

    We used to catch them and take them to fresh water pools. They'd dive down and seek holes, thereby flushing out eels for us to spear.

  3. #3
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Posts
    61,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Would you, when no-one has ever died from a bite?
    They haven't died because they've got anti-venom you plank.

    Fact is these kraits have quite small mouths and are very timid. You'd have to be trying to get bitten. The fool must have put his finger in it's mouth or something.
    I wonder if he had a work permit.

    We used to catch them and take them to fresh water pools. They'd dive down and seek holes, thereby flushing out eels for us to spear.
    Why would you automatically assume it was one of the toy ones you played with? There are 32 species in Aussie waters, and most of them are not kraits. David Attenborough you ain't.

    There are plenty in the Arabian Gulf and we stay well away from them because we're not fucking idiots.

  4. #4
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Posts
    61,284
    I think these blokes know more than you do.

    There are some myths about sea snakes that are worth demystifying:


    1. They have fixed front fangs and can open their mouths very wide to swallow prey items. The two popular beliefs are that they are rear fanged and have small mouths - neither of which is true.
    Sea Snakes of Australia

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,837
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    They haven't died because they've got anti-venom you plank.
    Fantasy to think that anti-venom is widely available in the places where sea snakes are found. Much more reasonable to reckon there have been no deaths because bites are extremely rare.
    I'll stand corrected on the small mouth myth.
    The kraits we "played with" were the black and white banded kraits.

  6. #6
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Posts
    61,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    The kraits we "played with" were the black and white banded kraits.

    Presumably with small mouths.

    Anything else you want to take a wild guess at?

    Mind you, now they'll have to update their website.

    Most sea snake bites occur on trawlers,when the snakes are sometimes hauled in with the catch. Only a small proportion of bites are fatal to humans as it is rare for much venom to be injected

    <snip>

    No deaths have been recorded from bites in Australian waters.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    3,797
    I think all of you are missing the REAL point here is that the guy was only 23 years old. When I was there back in the 80 s and even back again in the late 90s, it used to be that English people didn't need a work permit but don't quote me on that. Just SAD to me that you twats are going on about BS stuff.


    RIP poor guy. Way too young to die for any reason.
    Eliminator
    1986 Kawasaki 900

  8. #8
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Posts
    61,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
    I think all of you are missing the REAL point here is that the guy was only 23 years old. When I was there back in the 80 s and even back again in the late 90s, it used to be that English people didn't need a work permit but don't quote me on that. Just SAD to me that you twats are going on about BS stuff.


    RIP poor guy. Way too young to die for any reason.
    People die all the time for all manner of stupid reasons, and at younger ages than that.

    Life goes on.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    3,797
    I understand Harry, I was just amazed at the comments by some of these idiot posters and not one to say RIP or so sad too young to die.
    Last edited by Eliminator; 07-10-2018 at 07:50 PM.

  10. #10
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Posts
    61,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
    I understand Harry, I was just amazed at the comments by some of these idiot posters and not one to say RIP or so sad too young to die.
    Well thanks for saving the thread from us heartless c u n t s eh.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,837
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Presumably with small mouths.
    Your sarcasm is poorly directed after I said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    I'll stand corrected on the small mouth myth.
    What's up with that? A bit dumb to push a point that's been conceded already.

    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Only a small proportion of bites are fatal to humans as it is rare for much venom to be injected
    So...
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    They haven't died because they've got anti-venom you plank.
    "plank" eh?? You post a quote that refutes your own opinion.
    Carry on.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
    I understand Harry, I was just amazed at the comments by some of these idiot posters and not one to say RIP or so sad too young to die.
    So, did the poor guy, a backpacker, (RIP) have a work permit?

  13. #13
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Posts
    61,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Your sarcasm is poorly directed after I said...

    What's up with that? A bit dumb to push a point that's been conceded already.


    So...
    "plank" eh?? You post a quote that refutes your own opinion.
    Carry on.
    Are you FRT's idiot fucking lovechild or something?

  14. #14
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,860
    ^Sadly, while maanam is probably a fairly decent bloke in real life, he does post a lot of ill informed crap.

  15. #15
    Utopian Expat Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,039
    Working on those trawlers was the holy grail for back packers wanting to earn serious money quickly back in the day.

    RIP

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Posts
    17,035
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    ^Sadly, while maanam is probably a fairly decent bloke in real life, he does post a lot of ill informed crap.
    With you 50% of the way, there.

  17. #17
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    24,287
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    he does post a lot of ill informed crap.
    And doesn't half get upset and angry about people pointing it out.


    It's a common trait with the borderline special-needs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    Working on those trawlers was the holy grail for back packers wanting to earn serious money quickly back in the day.

    RIP
    Don't recall anyone working on trawlers in my few years there. But we were mainly spending the days on the beaches taking E's.


    Not a nice way to go, 23, on a trawler with a bunch of Aussie's eyeing up yer wallet, watch and necklace.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    katie23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PI
    Posts
    4,148
    Maybe he was on a working holiday visa? I met some euro backpackers: one Swedish, the other German, who said that after SEA, they planned to go to Aus and work/travel for some time. Both were guys.

    Oh, and met a German girl in KL who just finished working on a farm in Aus and was travelling in Malaysia after the working stint.

    Maybe the Brit backpacker was stupid, or maybe just unlucky. I agree that he was too young to die. RIP...

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    fishlocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Location
    Bungling in the jungle
    Posts
    9,136
    Watch out for the moccasins and those Indians. Water or land.

    Rattlers, moccasins, and the inevitable Southeast Asian Grappler.

    Keep your wits about you.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,837
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Are you FRT's idiot fucking lovechild or something?
    So, you first say nobody has died because there's anti-venom, then post
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Most sea snake bites occur on trawlers,when the snakes are sometimes hauled in with the catch. Only a small proportion of bites are fatal to humans as it is rare for much venom to be injected
    Which part of that disconnect don't you get?



    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    he does post a lot of ill informed crap.
    I said they have small mouths. Information of 30 years ago, and I stood corrected on that. Please point out past and further ill-informed crap...I love to learn.



    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    With you 50% of the way, there.
    Thanks Cyrille. I'll assume you agree with the "decent" bit and disagree with the rest.

  21. #21
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Posts
    61,284
    Blah Blah fucking Blah.

  22. #22
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    24,287
    Building up to paragraphs and listed post numbers.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Posts
    17,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    I said they have small mouths. Information of 30 years ago, and I stood corrected on that. Please point out past and further ill-informed crap...I love to learn.
    Nah you love to speculate. Of which you are wrong most of the time. Rare you admit to being wrong.



    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    Building up to paragraphs and listed post numbers.
    Aint that the truth. The paragraphs come after a bit of the drug use for which he is named. As a kid we all hated Mr. Know It All, its beginning to show here as well.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    8,807
    Sea snake bite causes first death in Australia in more than 80 years



    A trawler fisherman who died off the Northern Territory coast is believed to be the first person to be killed by a sea snake bite in Australia in more than 80 years.

    Key points:

    • Harry Evans, from the UK, died on a trawler after being bitten by a sea snake
    • His mother told media he was "living his dream" in the NT prior to his death
    • Experts said sea snake bites more common in developing countries than in Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails British Backpacker makes history-7047958-3x2-340x227.jpg  

    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

    .

  25. #25
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    17,795
    British Backpacker makes history
    The man's mother has said her son was not a backpacker. The BBC report did not give any further details of his status in Australia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •