Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Results 201 to 219 of 219
  1. #201
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,272
    Business as usual for your average Brit royalist then, really.
    been taking lessons in ad hominem from your buddy i see.

  2. #202
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    27,458
    For anyone interested in gaining Thai citizenship this a a great thread. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Norton; 10-05-2018 at 01:13 PM.

  3. #203
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    09-07-2018 @ 01:29 PM
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    i had a look, but apart from not needing a visa to stay in thailand, there dont seem to be many advantages. i can buy land through my thai wife, i could open a business through my thia wife etc.etc.etc.

    each to his own though, and i hope you are successful with your application.






    it would seem that the trait most valued by the thai inquisitors is the willingness of the foreigner to jump through hoops, grovel at their feet and show respect for a culture marinated in subservience, inequality and hypocrisy.
    Very far from the truth, sorry to disappoint you.

  4. #204
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    08-06-2018 @ 03:36 AM
    Posts
    9,964
    It's a serious question other than having to get a visa every year what are the benefits? If want to travel on a Thai passport outside of SE Asia you need a visa. OK own land in your own name and drive a tuktuk but as to owning land numerous ways round that one so what you have to go through to obtain citizenship seems not worth it to me but as always each to their own. Oops missed the main benefit as in can change your name to Somchai.
    Independence day - June 23 for Brits.

  5. #205
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Posts
    11,910
    Irrespective of the outcome, the Thai will never recognise you as anything but a farang. They're parochial to an almost psychopathic degree and to give up their ingrained prejudice would be as traumatic to them as if they were told gravity would lessen and they'd go spinning off into space. The Thai are the most neurotic and insecure people on the planet which accounts for their absurd fear of foreigners whose innate superiority they secretly acknowledge but will never embrace. If you want an insight into just how phobic their ratlike devotion to their neuroses can be, check out their inherent disdain for Indians who have been here for up to two hundred plus years, are fluent in Thai, own businesses etc but who are still universally considered to be culturally inferior and are regarded as mere "khek".

    The only benefits of Thai citizenship are that one will no longer be burdened with immigration bureaucracy and you can own land and operate a business in your own right without impediment. As Tax says, if one has a decent wingman the latter two are already available so that merely leaves a negative benefit.

    Paying the local rate for everything, on proof of ID card of course, is a bonus but of little value if you avoid the tourist bits and eschew trips to national parks.

  6. #206
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Online
    21-05-2018 @ 10:51 AM
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    It's a serious question other than having to get a visa every year what are the benefits? If want to travel on a Thai passport outside of SE Asia you need a visa. OK own land in your own name and drive a tuktuk but as to owning land numerous ways round that one so what you have to go through to obtain citizenship seems not worth it to me but as always each to their own. Oops missed the main benefit as in can change your name to Somchai.
    Visa free entry to Japan. Use the Thai line at airports.

  7. #207
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,394
    ^ surely you'd be called to one side trying to use a Thai passport as a 6 foot, blue eyed, honkey?

  8. #208
    hangin' around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    12,110
    Quote Originally Posted by veston View Post
    Visa free entry to Japan.
    Which means you can stay for 15 days.

    UK passport holders can stay without a visa for 90 days.

  9. #209
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Posts
    11,910
    Quote Originally Posted by veston View Post
    Use the Thai line at airports.
    I do this already when accompanied by the wingman on ops, and that's pretty well most times I travel.

  10. #210
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    09-07-2018 @ 01:29 PM
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    ^ surely you'd be called to one side trying to use a Thai passport as a 6 foot, blue eyed, honkey?
    And you'd show your passport and everything would be fine. Anyways, it all automatic, electronic these days for Thais going in and out Thailand.

  11. #211
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    09-07-2018 @ 01:29 PM
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    Irrespective of the outcome, the Thai will never recognise you as anything but a farang. They're parochial to an almost psychopathic degree and to give up their ingrained prejudice would be as traumatic to them as if they were told gravity would lessen and they'd go spinning off into space. The Thai are the most neurotic and insecure people on the planet which accounts for their absurd fear of foreigners whose innate superiority they secretly acknowledge but will never embrace. If you want an insight into just how phobic their ratlike devotion to their neuroses can be, check out their inherent disdain for Indians who have been here for up to two hundred plus years, are fluent in Thai, own businesses etc but who are still universally considered to be culturally inferior and are regarded as mere "khek".

    The only benefits of Thai citizenship are that one will no longer be burdened with immigration bureaucracy and you can own land and operate a business in your own right without impediment. As Tax says, if one has a decent wingman the latter two are already available so that merely leaves a negative benefit.

    Paying the local rate for everything, on proof of ID card of course, is a bonus but of little value if you avoid the tourist bits and eschew trips to national parks.
    Firstly, this thread is about getting Thai citizenship - if you don't want it, or can't fine. Wow, I hope you don't mix with Thais if this is what you really think of them!
    Even if the only benefit for Citizenship was, "that one will no longer be burdened with immigration bureaucracy", which is isn't, that is enough for me. After 10/15/20/25 years these compulsory visits to immigration are stressful and tiresome, for me anyway. When I am old, I might not have enough pension to qualify for a visa anyway.
    For 5,000 baht and a bit more for some documents to be legalized it's well worth it and not nearly as hard as some here seem to think it is.
    A couple of trips to Special Branch Police, one interview with NIA and one with MOI, wait a year or two and another trip to Special branch to do the oath.

    I agree, many Thai will always consider you a farang, but isn't that the same in most countries? I know in Scotland, most Asians are not considered "REAL" Scots.

    If you are planning on staying in Thailand for a long time, the benefits are HUGE! For starters:

    - Investing in property/land
    - Passport to ASEAN countries, being able to work freely.
    - You are a dual national, being able to travel freely with either passport. Also, having two different identities can be very beneficial, but I won't go into them here.
    - You can do any job you like.
    - A sense of security, peace of mind, knowing you will never be refused a visa for any reason.

    Here's a question to you, and any other person who COULD get it but doesn't want it - WHY?

  12. #212
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    09-07-2018 @ 01:29 PM
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    It's a serious question other than having to get a visa every year what are the benefits? If want to travel on a Thai passport outside of SE Asia you need a visa. OK own land in your own name and drive a tuktuk but as to owning land numerous ways round that one so what you have to go through to obtain citizenship seems not worth it to me but as always each to their own. Oops missed the main benefit as in can change your name to Somchai.
    You keep 2 passports.
    BTW, has your wife applied for UK citizenship? If so, why?

  13. #213
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    08-06-2018 @ 03:36 AM
    Posts
    9,964
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    You keep 2 passports.
    BTW, has your wife applied for UK citizenship? If so, why?
    Had UK citizenship since 2011 or 2012, why because becoming a British citizen unlike Thai is actually desirable, no visas for travelling to most countries in the world, right to live and work in the UK, access to the NHS, state pension etc. These benefits and many more are not available to the Thai hence British citizenship.

  14. #214
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    13,860
    I think it's great that you're getting Thai citizenship, Chalky. Well done.

    But ... in case you didn't know ....

    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    - Passport to ASEAN countries, being able to work freely.
    The type of jobs that can be worked freely in other ASEAN countries is limited. I can't remember exactly how many off hand but it's something like a dozen different professions, not just any job.
    signature

  15. #215
    Thailand Expat
    armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,739
    How do you manage to travel with two different names on your passports?

    Surely you can't leave as Somchai Pornthip and re-enter as John Smith? Actually that should be the other way round..

    I'd probably be willing to swap my UK passport for a Thai one as itd mostly benefit me. But I'd never pass the language exams because I'm an idiot.
    I'd like to see what morning looks like
    Don't wanna drink pint after pint
    I wanna wake up without feeling sick
    But I can't cuz I'm a drug-abusing alcoholic

  16. #216
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    09-07-2018 @ 01:29 PM
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Had UK citizenship since 2011 or 2012, why because becoming a British citizen unlike Thai is actually desirable, no visas for travelling to most countries in the world, right to live and work in the UK, access to the NHS, state pension etc. These benefits and many more are not available to the Thai hence British citizenship.
    I wonder how many countries she's been to since then, excluding Thailand? Which ones would she not have been able to go to without a UK passport?

    Thai citizenship is the same, right to live and work, access to free health service, pension etc.

  17. #217
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    09-07-2018 @ 01:29 PM
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    How do you manage to travel with two different names on your passports?

    Surely you can't leave as Somchai Pornthip and re-enter as John Smith? Actually that should be the other way round..

    I'd probably be willing to swap my UK passport for a Thai one as itd mostly benefit me. But I'd never pass the language exams because I'm an idiot.
    You must leave as Mr. pornthip and return as Mr.pornthip. Depending on what country you are going to, you use Mr. pornthip's passport or Mr Smith's.

    The Thai language exam is only 15 points out of the possible 100. Some have got citizenship with hardly any knowledge of the language.

  18. #218
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    09-07-2018 @ 01:29 PM
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    I think it's great that you're getting Thai citizenship, Chalky. Well done.

    But ... in case you didn't know ....



    The type of jobs that can be worked freely in other ASEAN countries is limited. I can't remember exactly how many off hand but it's something like a dozen different professions, not just any job.

    Thanks! Actually, I don't want to work in any other ASEAN country. I hope to retire by 55.

  19. #219
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,829
    I know several foreigners who got thai nationality and they can hardly string 4 thai words together in a coherent sentence. The MOST you can score is 15 points and that's if you sing that mind numbing 32 second ditty that comes on at 8 & 6. Sheesh if you can say "Sweat Cock" for สวัสดีครับ they give you 5 points.
    Most people who qualify don't need ANY points in the thai language area to get them over the threshold of minimum points.

    bobo746 you just seem to not the the sharpest tool in the shed, (don't worry though because you're definitely a tool).

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •