Thread: Daily Moan

  1. #3226
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    16,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hick
    'khallas,' as they say.
    In India.
    Given that hick works in Saudi Arabia, he's probably referring to the Arabic word خلاص .

  2. #3227
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hick
    'khallas,' as they say.
    In India.
    Given that hick works in Saudi Arabia, he's probably referring to the Arabic word خلاص .
    Interesting. Similar meaning in Hindi: Finished or over and done with.

  3. #3228
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,022
    Given the hundreds of thousands of sub-continentals that have worked/are working in the Gulf, I wouldn't be surprised if the word had been incorporated into Hindi from Arabic...

  4. #3229
    Thailand Expat
    happynz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Location
    on the corner of dusty and dustier
    Posts
    8,592
    That and mafi mushkila "no problem"

  5. #3230
    Head Skivvie Stacker Storekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PACNORWEST
    Posts
    10,990
    1 durian = 3,500 yen = 32 dollars = 1,058 baht

    Expensive here in Japan and smells awful.

    Thank Buddha the old lady doesn't waste the money on or eat the foil smelling fruit often.

    3-4 days in a row now of the stench.

  6. #3231
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper
    Expensive here in Japan and smells awful.
    I can't get enough of it.

  7. #3232
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna
    خلاص .
    Can you please delete that, as English, Thai and Jeff are the only acceptable languages on this forum.

  8. #3233
    Can I still change this?
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Posts
    4,536
    Foخلاص

  9. #3234
    Can I still change this?
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Posts
    4,536
    ^ Looks like Fcuk Off Jeff.

  10. #3235
    Thailand Expat
    Mandaloopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    16-06-2019 @ 05:06 AM
    Location
    ᠮᠣᠩᠭᠣᠯ ᠤᠯᠤᠰ
    Posts
    2,012
    Internet is too unstable to book flights to BKK for the October holidays.

  11. #3236
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandaloopy
    Internet is too unstable to book flights to BKK for the October holidays.
    That should be in the good news thread.

  12. #3237
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    In the Indonesian backwater of a South Sumatran town. It has banks and ATMs but no facility to change my surplus THB and MYR.


  13. #3238
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:30 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,132
    ^ You must really be in a back water? Did the banks tell you where the nearest FX is?

    OK the MYR I can understand but the Thai baht should be OK.

  14. #3239
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Elephant Island
    Posts
    5,693
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Well that wasn't entirely predictable.
    It wasn't, was it? I have a feeling that's the last time the mad bitch will be allowed back here. How many times have we been through this cycle now?
    At least she didn't show us her udders again.

  15. #3240
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal
    You must really be in a back water? Did the banks tell you where the nearest FX is?

    OK the MYR I can understand but the Thai baht should be OK.
    I couldn't believe it either. It's a 40 minute flight over the mountains from the nearest city, Palembang. That is where I hoped to get my VOA. Sadly I hit a familiar wall. No hab.
    I can't even be sure that they will have a currency exchange there. Should have checked but was too knackered after an 11 hour layover in KL.

    It will have to wait until I return to civilization later this month.
    Heart of Gold and a Knob of butter.

  16. #3241
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:30 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,132
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui
    the nearest city, Palembang
    I've been there it is a fecking shit hole Well Ok not quite that bad but not exactly a tourist hub.

    Anyway go and have a wander around the Fort. Beer and palm trees!

  17. #3242
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal
    've been there it is a fecking shit hole Well Ok not quite that bad but not exactly a tourist hub.

    Anyway go and have a wander around the Fort. Beer and palm trees!
    It took longer to get from the local airport to the town centre, than my domestic flight from Palembang did.
    Off beer hunting shortly.

  18. #3243
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:30 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,132
    Don't forget to buy a bag to tea?

  19. #3244
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal
    Don't forget to buy a bag to tea?
    I am a coffee drinker so that's already sorted.

    A dozen large Bintang in the fridge now, quite cheap too, considering it is illegal in these parts. Courtesy of a Chinese merchant.

  20. #3245
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:30 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,132
    Beer illegal. Now that is a moan.

  21. #3246
    Thailand Expat
    Mandaloopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    16-06-2019 @ 05:06 AM
    Location
    ᠮᠣᠩᠭᠣᠯ ᠤᠯᠤᠰ
    Posts
    2,012
    Moan: Pen pushing, bean counting admin types have got my hackles up again
    Non Moan: Flights to Bangkok booked for October- 5 days of happiness, good food, good company and a functioning city.

  22. #3247
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,274
    There's a luek rung boy lives up the road. His mother died of cancer within the last year. The boy's father never even came back to the village for his wife's funeral. Doesn't like it here and only goes to Pattaya.
    The boy has been dumped with with his grandparents, he's about 7-8. The father was sending 8-9,000 Baht per month for his maintenance via his SiL. She kept most of the money for gambling. Somehow he got wind of it and he started to send the money to a Thai friend in the village. Now this thieving cow is ripping the grandparents off by only giving them 3,000 of the 9,000 being sent. The grandparents don't have a bank account. My wife asks why don't they question the amount being given to them. They said they do but the friend just starts shouting at them and they give up.
    You can say 'not your problem' but I can't sit aside and see it happen. Unfortunately, my moan is that I can't get the fathers UK address etc to let him know what's happening.
    I really hate these people sometimes. Fcuk

  23. #3248
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    There's a luek rung boy lives up the road. His mother died of cancer within the last year. The boy's father never even came back to the village for his wife's funeral. Doesn't like it here and only goes to Pattaya.
    The boy has been dumped with with his grandparents, he's about 7-8. The father was sending 8-9,000 Baht per month for his maintenance via his SiL. She kept most of the money for gambling. Somehow he got wind of it and he started to send the money to a Thai friend in the village. Now this thieving cow is ripping the grandparents off by only giving them 3,000 of the 9,000 being sent. The grandparents don't have a bank account. My wife asks why don't they question the amount being given to them. They said they do but the friend just starts shouting at them and they give up.
    You can say 'not your problem' but I can't sit aside and see it happen. Unfortunately, my moan is that I can't get the fathers UK address etc to let him know what's happening.
    I really hate these people sometimes. Fcuk
    Outrageous. I wish we could adopt the poor kid.
    My wife works at a tessabaan school and the students are dirt poor. One little girl is quite smart and really wants to learn English so Mrs Naam took an interest in her.
    It turns out the girl is an orphan (parents not dead, just abandoned her to her grandma who couldn't cope) and lives in a Christian orphanage. Wife asked the orphanage people if the girl could come to our house on weekends for family atmosphere and English immersion. Not until you know God was the response. End of story.
    But not quite.
    One day of teachers checking in with care-givers, Mrs Naam had to go to the orphanage. She was with a colleague. The colleague mentioned in passing (quite unnecessarily) that one of the boys seems gay.
    Next day, the boy was not at school. Why? He's being punished for being gay, so can not attend school.

    GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

  24. #3249
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic
    I really hate these people sometimes. Fcuk
    Yes.

  25. #3250
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic
    I can't sit aside and see it happen
    Until such time as you can find the father's address, you might quietly donate a few thousand monthly to the grandparents for the child's upkeep...good karma...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •