Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: over stay

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    05-03-2013 @ 07:54 PM
    Posts
    2

    over stay

    Can any body plz tell me . the maximan over stay and over stay payment?

  2. #2
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    500 baht per day, max 20,000 baht.
    If leaving by the airport and you can pay, no problems.
    Leave by land and you may be banged up.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    05-03-2013 @ 07:54 PM
    Posts
    2

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    500 baht per day, max 20,000 baht.
    If leaving by the airport and you can pay, no problems.
    Leave by land and you may be banged up.
    thanks a lot

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    adzt1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    23-11-2017 @ 11:20 PM
    Location
    watching&learning
    Posts
    1,194
    pay the fine and all is forgotten. the little stamp in your passport won't hinder u in the future neither .

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    4,655
    Overstay as long as you want and if you don't get caught pay 20,000 Baht on the way out. I'm sure there was a case of a Korean guy, the other year, who got caught having done 20+ years overstay.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Ratchaburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:44 PM
    Location
    Ratchaburi
    Posts
    5,043
    10 year ago I was 60 days over.
    but 3 days before the 60 day I went to Bangkok immigration & they told go to the border & pay the over stay.
    if the police get you then I think it would be a problem.

  7. #7
    Member cymru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    18-12-2013 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    151
    A few years back I overstayed by 1 year and 6 days, when I went to the border to cross into Cambodia they mistakenly only checked the day and month and charged me for 6 days......

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat 9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-09-2017 @ 01:18 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,528
    Just carry a photo-copy of the front page of your passport with you if asked for it, and say it's being held for motor boke or car hire or something. You're sposed to have your passport with you at all times, and I've been asked to produce it a few times (maybe 5% of the time) at road checkpoints. That's where you can run into trouble, but a photo copy should by no probs for ID for a farang ;-)

    Doing things legally ....

  9. #9
    ................... sunsetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    23-01-2017 @ 01:18 AM
    Location
    underneath the sun
    Posts
    7,027
    Quote Originally Posted by 9999
    Just carry a photo-copy of the front page of your passport with you if asked for it, and say it's being held for motor boke or car hire or something. You're sposed to have your passport with you at all times, and I've been asked to produce it a few times (maybe 5% of the time) at road checkpoints. That's where you can run into trouble, but a photo copy should by no probs for ID for a farang ;-)
    you been smoking funny stuff again? hows that going toget him out of an over stay problem? or leave via border?

    ' oh heres a copy of the front page of my passport, can i leave the country now please?'

    bellend

  10. #10
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetter
    ' oh heres a copy of the front page of my passport, can i leave the country now please?'
    suspect the idea of the photocopy is ONLY for possible inspection on the way to the border .......................

  11. #11
    Member ch1ldofthemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    12-10-2017 @ 07:16 PM
    Location
    London,England
    Posts
    715
    I was stopped by the police in Chiang Mai,3 weeks ago for riding a bike with no helmet on.
    I was asked for my passport(which I always carry with me), and it was confiscated by the policeman and I was told I could have it back,at the police station,when I paid my fine of 200 baht.
    I went to the police station,paid the fine and recieved my passport back.
    A french guy who was stopped at the same time as me,for no helmet was asked for his passport. He told the police that he did`nt have it,as it was being held by the motorbike renter.
    He was taken to the police station,by the police...
    I dont know what happened to him, I was just pleased that I always carry my passport with me......

  12. #12
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    500 baht per day, max 20,000 baht.
    Truly astounding that the max hasn't changed in 20 years.
    The daily has increased only a couple times in that period.

    All-in-all, the better value lies in a long overstay.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    15-11-2017 @ 02:40 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,790
    It's not the "over-staying" so much that puts you in a world of hurt here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", it's getting caught inside the country for something else while on overstay.

    I know many people who've overstayed (some for years and years), yet never had a problem because they weren't "caught out" by the authorities while inside the country. They just kept their heads down and went about their daily lives. When they were in the position to clear up their visa woes and the overstay fine, they went to the border, paid the fine, got a new Thai visa in a neighboring country and came right back in.

    As has been explained; the fine for overstay is 500 baht a day, and that caps out at 20K baht. So overstay 40 days or 40 years and in theory the fine upon exiting is the same, 20K baht.

    Once you're caught inside the country on overstay (assuming you can't "negotiate" a way around it by whoever caught you), that's usually when you're arrested, transferred to Immigrations Detention Center, see a judge, and then get deported.

    Now remember, simply being deported doesn't mean that you can't turn right around and come back in the country. It just means you were "invited to leave" and in fact you're taken to the airport by Immigration Police. I donít know a single person ever black listed for just an overstay. Most of the black listing happens because the person ran amuck with some other much more serious problem while they were also on overstay.

    I've sent quite a few people on overstay to the border crossings and not once has anyone gotten "banged up". So my opinion is you've got no more chance of having a problem leaving Thailand by a land border than you do flying out; ONCE you get to the border. It's those random police checks on the way to the border that can cause you problems. Once you're at the border the Thai officials there couldn't care less if you're on overstay or not; they just fine you the appropriate amount, put a stamp in your passport that you overstayed and let you leave Thailand.

    As far as the nonsense of always carrying your passport. I sometimes volunteer at the local Police Station (although it's not as much fun as you'd think); in a week I bet 100 people come in with the "My passport got stolen, lost, etc" story, to get a Police report so they can go to their embassy and get a new passport. Make a copy of the front page, and the current "permission to stay until" stamp, and just carry that. If you're stopped you can show the Police those and 99.99% of the time that's enough.

    If you live here I'd suggest you get a Thai driver's license instead. They're cheap, easy to get and are "valid I/D" here too. Most of the times I've had Police stop me, showing the Thai driver's license lets them know you "ain't a tourist", and they usually wave you on your way...
    "Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat 9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-09-2017 @ 01:18 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,528
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetter
    you been smoking funny stuff again? hows that going toget him out of an over stay problem? or leave via border?

    ' oh heres a copy of the front page of my passport, can i leave the country now please?'
    Well mate, not sure who's on the funny stuff, but you need to read the whole post. I said use a copy to carry around, it you're asked to produce a passport by police, at say a road block. Then a photo-copy should get you out of the shit.

    Of course you don't rock up to the airport with a copy and tell them the motosai rental place still has your passport

    I love repeating myself, but do it for benefit of our dedicated but less switched on members.

    It's then simply a matter of rocking up to the airport with your real passport and paying 20K, which is value if you're staying a year or more (though I wouldn't advise it)

  15. #15
    ................... sunsetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    23-01-2017 @ 01:18 AM
    Location
    underneath the sun
    Posts
    7,027
    ^ well you shouldve said so innit

    ok, toke it up!!!!

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Fluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    4,856
    Assuming that you have overstayed , how long would you have overstayed before they will lock you up and deport you (if the Police checked your passport) .
    Would you still get deported if you had overstayed by a day or two ?

  17. #17
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Assuming that you have overstayed , how long would you have overstayed before they will lock you up and deport you (if the Police checked your passport) .
    Would you still get deported if you had overstayed by a day or two ?

    Yes. Unless your BiB is feeling flexible, or thirsty.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    4,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    Assuming that you have overstayed , how long would you have overstayed before they will lock you up and deport you (if the Police checked your passport) . Would you still get deported if you had overstayed by a day or two ?
    I very much doubt a Thai policeman would know what to look for if he was to check your passport. He hasn't much idea about traffic laws let alone anything else. His understanding of stamps and immigration laws would probably be zilch. All he would be interested in doing is what they sent him out for ie check licences. Thinking outside the box isn't part of the job spec.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    15-11-2017 @ 02:40 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,790
    I think you'd be surprised just how astute the BiB are when looking at passports for "permitted to stay until" stamps. (At least the one's I've worked with and around are pretty dialed into it anyway).

    Still most of the BiB don't do the real "enforcement" of immigration laws as they hafta turn you over to "immigrations police" eventually.

    That's why most people who are on short overstays can "find a solution" on the spot out of their predicament when stopped by the "regular police". It's just a TON of paperwork and at the end you get transferred to Immigrations lock up. There's no "real money" to be made off you once you hit the police station and start a paper trail.

    It's far more "lucrative" to scare you on the spot by threatening to lock you up, playing on both your stupidity (for being here on overstay) and the fear factor most foreigners have when dealing with the Police.

    It's a different story when the Police do those random "lock the bar down" piss test everyone; staff and patrons as well as check passports. Granted those are infrequent but they DO most definitely happen.. Seeing as they show up with the drug testing van and a "paddy wagon"; they're not opposed to haulin' away ANYONE who's on overstay or tests positive for drugs.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat 9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-09-2017 @ 01:18 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    how long would you have overstayed before they will lock you up and deport you
    technically they have to take you in if they find out even if it's a day. If the cop knows you're overstayed I can't see you be letting go because it's just a short time.

    Quote Originally Posted by superman
    I very much doubt a Thai policeman would know what to look for if he was to check your passport.
    Sure, if he even has the balls to stop you and attempt to speak english.

    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels
    I think you'd be surprised just how astute the BiB are

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    Ratchaburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:44 PM
    Location
    Ratchaburi
    Posts
    5,043
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post

    If you live here I'd suggest you get a Thai driver's license instead. They're cheap, easy to get and are "valid I/D" here too. Most of the times I've had Police stop me, showing the Thai driver's license lets them know you "ain't a tourist", and they usually wave you on your way...
    It is a good idea with the Thai drivers license, but the bottom line.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, drive along the motorway Bangna at the tollbooth.
    I guess on any given day, they see a farang there will stop you.
    They told me that, I have a commercial truck I need to go through booth 1
    As he could not think of any thing ells to get 500b from me as the big boss was standing there.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Darkside, Pattaya
    Posts
    5,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratchaburi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post

    If you live here I'd suggest you get a Thai driver's license instead. They're cheap, easy to get and are "valid I/D" here too. Most of the times I've had Police stop me, showing the Thai driver's license lets them know you "ain't a tourist", and they usually wave you on your way...
    It is a good idea with the Thai drivers license, but the bottom line.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, drive along the motorway Bangna at the tollbooth.
    I guess on any given day, they see a farang there will stop you.
    They told me that, I have a commercial truck I need to go through booth 1
    As he could not think of any thing ells to get 500b from me as the big boss was standing there.
    So they arrested you for not carrying your passport or did they accept your driver licence for ID ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    let me explain simply 100MB != 1GB RAM

  23. #23
    Member Rocksteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    12-06-2017 @ 06:50 PM
    Posts
    875
    Before Taxin took control of the country all of this was just a breeze. I well remember coming over for hols from Japan where it was cheaper to pay rent on my apartment and fly over to Thailand than it was to stay home (in my Tokyo apartment) during our long summer break!

    We would always pay our overstay at the airport and be greeted by a very smiling policeman who would ask if we had a good time and enjoyed our hols. No hostility, just sign here and pay there - job's a good 'un!

    How things have changed for the worst

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    Phuketrichard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    23-11-2017 @ 09:09 AM
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by ch1ldofthemoon View Post
    I was stopped by the police in Chiang Mai,3 weeks ago for riding a bike with no helmet on.
    I was asked for my passport(which I always carry with me), and it was confiscated by the policeman and I was told I could have it back,at the police station,when I paid my fine of 200 baht.
    I went to the police station,paid the fine and recieved my passport back.
    A french guy who was stopped at the same time as me,for no helmet was asked for his passport. He told the police that he did`nt have it,as it was being held by the motorbike renter.
    He was taken to the police station,by the police...
    I dont know what happened to him, I was just pleased that I always carry my passport with me......

    For PHUKET, motorbike rentals an POLICE have been told they can NOT take ur passport, it is the property of the relative government it was issued by.

    I never carry my passport or even a copy ( in my 28 years here) unless i am on the way to the bank, to immigration or to leave the country but do have a ta droivers licnse and it is accepted for anything
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol or insanity, but they've always worked for me" HST

    View my pics

  25. #25
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Assuming that you have overstayed , how long would you have overstayed before they will lock you up and deport you (if the Police checked your passport) .
    Would you still get deported if you had overstayed by a day or two ?

    Yes. Unless your BiB is feeling flexible, or thirsty.
    More often than, they would be looking for money first and foremost.
    If you can arrange these things financially, be it 2 days or 2 years overstay, most situations take care of themselves. They don't want to hold you if they don't have to - there is no profit in that.

    The horror stories and myths of minor offenders of OS are largely exaggerated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •