R.I.P.

Last Online
    @

Sattahip - Samaesan Market

Sattahip - Samaesan Market

I had to go to Sattahip today as it was mothers day in Thailand, so we dragged the old biddy round some of the Sattahip temples and then went off to Samaesan which is a fishing village a couple of miles away, the Thai's tell you you will know when you are there due to the smell, jees don't fishing villages stink, I assume the local Thai's become immune to the stench of rotting fish etc.

Samaesan's main claim to fame is the 2 islands just off its coast, Koh Samaesan and Koh Kham, one of the Islands is closed to protect the turtles, yep turtles go there to lay eggs, the other can be visited but only on organized boat tours from the Thai Island and Sea Natural History Museum.

Thai Island and Sea Natural History Museum

Anyway on the outskirts of Samaesan they have the sea food market, dried seafood on one side, and on the coastal side live or chilled seafood, I suppose it's about 100 meters long so plenty of stalls to choose your dinner.

This is the dry seafood side, many on this side have hanging sea shell things on the front of them.

Enough sun dried squid to keep the hungriest of people going, further down the road they have the frameworks set up for drying all the squid and other animals.

This thing reminded of something from startrek, those ugly buggers that stayed stuck to the ceiling etc and would fall on peoples backs and stick to them whilst sucking all their juices out.

Biggest squids I have ever seen in a Thai market, also had the normal size ones and some tiny ones.

Sea snails with nice shells, not sure why the fish was in there all alone, weren't any more like him on the stall.

Normal sized fresh squid for sale.

Can't forget the prawns, although monsoon season isn't a good time to eat prawns in Thailand as all the shite in the drains etc gets washed out to sea.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    07-02-2011 @ 03:00 PM
    looks ok nice pics

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
    monsoon season isn't a good time to eat prawns in Thailand as all the shite in the drains etc gets washed out to sea.
    Probably the best time then.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-11-2014 @ 09:25 AM
    Villa Sariano, Phala Beach, Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand
    Samersan is a weekly visit for me to get some of the crabs, squid and mussels that are sold there at the fresh seafood stalls. Seems as though the prices are better during the week and slightly inflated during the weekends due to the increased traffic. I enjoy driving along the fishing village all the way down at the end of the peninsula.
    "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....and it is all small stuff"

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2021 @ 04:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    This thing reminded of something from startrek, those ugly buggers that stayed stuck to the ceiling etc and would fall on peoples backs and stick to them whilst sucking all their juices out.
    Horseshoe crab. Not good for eating, for bait mostly.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Smith View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Horseshoe crab. Not good for eating, for bait mostly.
    It is the Horseshoe Crab eggs that are served in Thai restaurants and lots of Thai really like them.

Last Online
    02-05-2011 @ 05:43 PM
    ^
    Yam Kai Maengda, very nice!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-03-2020 @ 02:26 AM
    I simply cannot understand how people can eat some of the garbage they do here. The meat and fish at those sales sits out for hours in the heat with no refrigeration, and some of it is so spoiled it even smells bad. Just the smell at those sales is enough to drive me away.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    I simply cannot understand how people can eat some of the garbage they do here. The meat and fish at those sales sits out for hours in the heat with no refrigeration, and some of it is so spoiled it even smells bad. Just the smell at those sales is enough to drive me away.

U R correct in that one has to be selective as to where they shop and what they buy but actually, most if not all of the fresh fish and seafood at the Samersan Fish Market is either on ice or still in alive in the water at the venders stand.

Thread Information