Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413

    Low IQ = higher heart risk

    Low IQ = higher heart risk
    Feb 10, 2010


    Intelligence comes second only to smoking as a predictor of heart disease, suggesting public health campaigns may need to be designed for people with lower IQs if they are to work.
    PHOTO: ALAN LIM

    LONDON - INTELLIGENCE comes second only to smoking as a predictor of heart disease, scientists said on Wednesday, suggesting public health campaigns may need to be designed for people with lower IQs if they are to work.

    Research by Britain's Medical Research Council (MRC) found that lower intelligence quotient (IQ) scores were associated with higher rates of heart disease and death, and were more important indicators than any other risk factors except smoking.

    Heart disease is the leading killer of men and women Europe, the United States and most industrialised countries. According to the World Health Organisation, cardiovascular diseases and diabetes accounted for 32 per cent of all deaths around the world in 2005.

    It is well known that people with poorer education and lower incomes often face higher risks of ill health and a range of diseases. Studies have pointed to many likely reasons, including limited access to healthcare and other resources, poorer living conditions, chronic stress and higher rates of lifestyle risk factors like smoking.

    The MRC study, which analysed data from 1,145 men and women aged around 55 and followed up for 20 years, rated the top five heart disease risk factors as cigarette smoking, IQ, low income, high blood pressure, and low physical activity.

    The researchers, led by David Batty of the MRC and Social and Public Health Science Unit in Glasgow, Scotland, said there were 'a number of plausible mechanisms' which might explain why lower IQ scores could raise the risk of heart disease - in particular a person's approach to 'healthy behaviour.'

    straitstimes.com
    Last edited by Mid; 10-02-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: formatting

  2. #2
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    11-07-2010 @ 09:24 AM
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City
    Posts
    264
    Darwinian selection at work?

  3. #3
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post

    The researchers, led by David Batty of the MRC and Social and Public Health Science Unit in Glasgow, Scotland, said there were 'a number of plausible mechanisms' which might explain why lower IQ scores could raise the risk of heart disease - in particular a person's approach to 'healthy behaviour.'

    straitstimes.com
    Lower income, higher likelihood of eating at McDonalds.

  4. #4
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    It must be all the stress caused by believing that Obama's a Muslim Communist and that Isaan Peasants are taking 200 Baht a day to help overthrow a benevolent and democratic government

  5. #5
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Belepheron
    Darwinian selection at work?
    Exactly correct,,

    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie
    Lower income, higher likelihood of eating at McDonalds.
    Has nothing to do with income,, in case you have trouble with comprehension, then you had better go see a Dr. now because you appear at risk.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    35,204
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie
    Lower income, higher likelihood of eating at McDonalds.
    Has nothing to do with income,, in case you have trouble with comprehension, then you had better go see a Dr. now because you appear at risk.
    Oh dear...
    ...It is well known that people with poorer education and lower incomes often face higher risks of ill health and a range of diseases. Studies have pointed to many likely reasons, including limited access to healthcare and other resources, poorer living conditions, chronic stress and higher rates of lifestyle risk factors like smoking.
    Did you feel a tightening in your chest when posting that, blackgang?


  7. #7
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Belepheron
    Darwinian selection at work?
    Exactly correct,,

    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie
    Lower income, higher likelihood of eating at McDonalds.
    Has nothing to do with income,, in case you have trouble with comprehension, then you had better go see a Dr. now because you appear at risk.
    Oh I comprehend the OP Blackgang but unlike you I don't base my opinions on a couple of paragraphs posted on a internet forum.

  8. #8
    DaffyDuck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Belepheron View Post
    Darwinian selection at work?
    My thoughhts exactly.

    So, dumb people have a higher likelyhood of dying early - sounds fine to me.

    Now, if only that also were to prevent them from breeding and we'd be in a better world.

  9. #9
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    11-07-2010 @ 09:24 AM
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City
    Posts
    264
    Any roads, a high IQ is no indicator of intelligence, merely that you are good at IQ tests.

  10. #10
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by DaffyDuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Belepheron View Post
    Darwinian selection at work?
    My thoughhts exactly.

    So, dumb people have a higher likelyhood of dying early - sounds fine to me.

    Now, if only that also were to prevent them from breeding and we'd be in a better world.

    Would your definition of dumb people include those who support Abhisit because they believe he doesn't wear a collection of amulets?
    The Above Post May Contain Strong Language, Flashing Lights, or Violent Scenes.

  11. #11
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    .It is well known that people with poorer education and lower incomes often face higher risks of ill health and a range of diseases. Studies have pointed to many likely reasons, including limited access to healthcare and other resources, poorer living conditions, chronic stress and higher rates of lifestyle risk factors like smoking.
    Did you feel a tightening in your chest when posting that, blackgang?
    IQ is the OP, not education or income, they are a completely different thing, Education is not even in the same catagory,, you should understand that Antsy, you must have an education, but it does not show that you have an IQ of over double digits at best.
    So why should I have anything going on with my heart because I do know what my IQ is, and I am the first to admit that my formal edi. ended fairly early in life.



    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie
    Oh I comprehend the OP Blackgang but unlike you I don't base my opinions on a couple of paragraphs posted on a internet forum.
    On what do you base your opinions then??

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    35,204
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    IQ is the OP, not education or income, they are a completely different thing, Education is not even in the same catagory,, you should understand that Antsy, you must have an education, but it does not show that you have an IQ of over double digits at best.
    I think you'll find a pretty strong correlation between IQ and education and income blackgang. There is after all a pretty good reason why not just any old idiot can declare themselves something like a doctor and start raking in money.

    Lower intelligence = poorer education = lower income = poorer living conditions/options = poorer health. It ain't rocket science, blackgang.
    ...I am the first to admit that my formal edi. ended fairly early in life.
    ... And in other breaking news: 'Water, 'Officially Wet' Say Scientists'.

  13. #13
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    I really can not understand why you as a supposedly educted person?
    continually must prove that you are of a lower IQ than most on these boards.

    IQ has nothing to do with education, plain and simple.

    Getting a PHD or Dr. means you can pass a test, does not mean that you are good for anything, or at anything but passing a test..

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    35,204
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    I really can not understand why you as a supposedly educted person?
    continually must prove that you are of a lower IQ than most on these boards.
    Really, so what is my IQ? Where's this proof of yours?

    Being called stupid by you is like being accused of being anti semitic by Hitler. Particularly when you abuse the English language in the process of doing it.
    IQ has nothing to do with education, plain and simple.
    Yes it does. It's only simple to think otherwise.
    Getting a PHD or Dr. means you can pass a test, does not mean that you are good for anything, or at anything but passing a test..
    How would you know; by your own admission you lack much formal education yourself.

    A PhD is most certainly not simply a matter of 'passing a test', again underscoring that you've no idea what you're talking about.

  15. #15
    Member
    Ghandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    13-08-2010 @ 08:20 PM
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    I really can not understand why you as a supposedly educted person?
    continually must prove that you are of a lower IQ than most on these boards.
    Really, so what is my IQ? Where's this proof of yours?

    IQ's test are far from standardized. So what is your IQ score ?



    IQ has nothing to do with education, plain and simple.
    Yes it does. It's only simple to think otherwise.
    Getting a PHD or Dr. means you can pass a test, does not mean that you are good for anything, or at anything but passing a test..
    How would you know; by your own admission you lack much formal education yourself.
    This is not correct as there are people with very high recorded IQ's who did not have access to formal education.

    Taksin has a PHD. , wonder what his thesis was on.

    It means very little to entrepreneurs and self made business people , i.e. Bill Gates.



    A PhD is most certainly not simply a matter of 'passing a test', again underscoring that you've no idea what you're talking about.
    It means you had enough time to sit in a classroom full of Adult students or professional students.

  16. #16

    R.I.P.


    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Belepheron
    Any roads, a high IQ is no indicator of intelligence, merely that you are good at IQ tests.
    Thats like that excuse blokes who suffer from premature ejaculation use, something along the lines, <*Aussie accent>"Hey Sheila, it's not a problem only lasting 15 seconds, as long as I enjoy it."</*Aussie accent>

  17. #17
    Member
    Ghandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    13-08-2010 @ 08:20 PM
    Posts
    822
    Actually the original topic has been well known for years.

    Dumb people smoke cigarettes , eat fried foods and drink excessively and never do any exercise.


    Most Thai's are very good example if anyone was interested in doing a case study.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    35,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghandi View Post
    IQ's test are far from standardized. So what is your IQ score ?
    I've no idea what my IQ is. I'm waiting with bated breath for blackgang to tell me.
    This is not correct as there are people with very high recorded IQ's who did not have access to formal education.
    Such as... ?
    It means you had enough time to sit in a classroom full of Adult students or professional students.
    Ahh, another person with a chip on their shoulder over formal education I see.

  19. #19
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Just have to prove it don't ya antsy,, not a very high score thats for damn sure.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    35,204
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    Just have to prove it don't ya antsy,, not a very high score thats for damn sure.
    Well you tell me blackgang, you claim to know.

    And again, being called dumb by you is like being accused of being 'not quite right in the head' by David Koresh.

  21. #21
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    David Roresh had quite a following,, loyal too,,

    You prove mant times daily that you are not of the sharpest knife on here..

    Don't have to give you a score,, stupid is as stupid does.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    35,204
    Well there's a surprise... blackgang dribbling on about something he knows nothing about.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by DaffyDuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Belepheron View Post
    Darwinian selection at work?
    My thoughhts exactly.

    So, dumb people have a higher likelyhood of dying early - sounds fine to me.

    Now, if only that also were to prevent them from breeding and we'd be in a better world.
    LOL they are easy to identify they like wearing red

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghandi View Post
    Actually the original topic has been well known for years.

    Dumb people smoke cigarettes , eat fried foods and drink excessively and never do any exercise.


    Most Thai's are very good example if anyone was interested in doing a case study.
    "Dumb people smoke cigarettes , eat fried foods and drink excessively and never do any exercise."

    Thats half TD then hahaha

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat Jesus Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    Posts
    6,952
    I don't think this is based on the IQ of people, but more likely a result of living a poorer lifestyle as a result of having fewer chances. Society as a whole maybe the the cause, but certainly not peoples IQ level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •