Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 84
  1. #26
    Member Samuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    347
    Apperently, it's possible the gun wasn't loaded, but wasn't cleaned between uses of "blanks" which causes residue to build up and then shot out of the gun.

    Also, some union crew were kicked off the set after complaining about their long commute and were replaced by non-union crew — a possible additional factor.

  2. #27
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    25,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Also, some union crew were kicked off the set after complaining about their long commute and were replaced by non-union crew
    Yeah - I read that.

    Curiouser and curiouser.

  3. #28
    Member Samuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    347
    Alec Baldwin '''Rust''' camera crew walked off before shooting - The San Diego Union-Tribune

    Shooting began on Oct. 6 and members of the production said they had been promised the production would pay for their hotel rooms in Santa Fe.

    But after filming began, the crews were told they instead would be required to make the 50-mile drive from Albuquerque each day, rather than stay overnight in nearby Santa Fe.

    The cinematographer who was accidentally killed, Halyna Hutchins, had been advocating for safer conditions for her team, said one crew member who was on the set.

    As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, the knowledgeable person said.

    A member of the producer staff then ordered the union members to leave the set. She said if they didn’t leave, the producers would call security to remove them.

    “Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable person said.
    ......

  4. #29
    Thailand Expat Saint Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Posts
    10,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Apperently, it's possible the gun wasn't loaded, but wasn't cleaned between uses of "blanks" which causes residue to build up and then shot out of the gun.

    Also, some union crew were kicked off the set after complaining about their long commute and were replaced by non-union crew — a possible additional factor.
    its not curious at all. A perfect example of unions trying to cash in on a tragedy and completely ducking despicable!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Yeah - I read that.

    Curiouser and curiouser.

  5. #30
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Willy View Post
    its not curious at all. A perfect example of unions trying to cash in on a tragedy and completely ducking despicable!
    Don't know how you can call it "cashing in" when somebody died. It's a good example of unsafe work, which is what unions are trying to stop.

    The woman that died was in a union, and had raised safety issues in recent days. You have no idea how overworked some film crews are. I work in the industry, and basically have no life when I'm on a show.

  6. #31
    Thailand Expat Saint Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Posts
    10,868
    They are metaphorically trying to cash in on the sentiment by conflating unions and protection of workers rights with a crime. Unions would not have stopped this incident. Overwork did not lead to soemone bringing live rounds on to a set and then lead to someone loading live rounds onto a set handgun. To be jumping up and down trying to extract additional points and concessions on the back of someone’s untimely death and a terrible tragedy is despicable behaviour but frankly completely on brand.

  7. #32
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Willy View Post
    They are metaphorically trying to cash in on the sentiment by conflating unions and protection of workers rights with a crime. Unions would not have stopped this incident. Overwork did not lead to soemone bringing live rounds on to a set and then lead to someone loading live rounds onto a set handgun. To be jumping up and down trying to extract additional points and concessions on the back of someone’s untimely death and a terrible tragedy is despicable behaviour but frankly completely on brand.
    Bullshit. Several crew members walked off the set before the shooting due to safety concerns, including other shooting incidents. They were trying to prevent this, not cash in. I don't think the armourer was in a union, this was only her second show.

  8. #33
    Thailand Expat Saint Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Posts
    10,868
    Links to these shooting incidents?

    Complaints ranged from long hours, delayed pay cheques, and a 50-mile daily commute to accommodation in Albuquerque“

  9. #34
    Thailand Expat Saint Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Posts
    10,868
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    don't think the armourer was in a union, this was only her second show.
    looks like a scapegoat to me. And had she been in a union?


    ”other shooting incidents” means accidental discharges of prop guns, which is nothing to do with live rounds n a set loaded into a prop revolver. They are just not the same.

  10. #35
    Thailand Expat havnfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Happy Land
    Posts
    1,696
    Just wondering, If it was a crane that fell down while he was in control and killed them? people get killed at work every hour of every day of the year.

  11. #36
    I am not a cat
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    17,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Willy View Post
    looks like a scapegoat to me. And had she been in a union?


    ”other shooting incidents” means accidental discharges of prop guns, which is nothing to do with live rounds n a set loaded into a prop revolver. They are just not the same.
    A scapegoat? Hardly. It was literally her job to ensure firearms safety.

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat
    katie23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PI
    Posts
    5,109
    I don't know if this was an indie film or low budget, but some production outfits are notorious for cutting costs.

    For example, in the film "Minari" (about a Korean American family), the cast stayed in a single Airbnb flat during filming. There was a time that the a/c failed in their flat. The film was later on noticed in the Oscars. The lead actor, Steven Youn was nominated for best actor and the mother-in-law (a veteran Korean actress) won the best supporting actress award. Brad Pitt was one of the executive producers of the film, but he didn't show his face during the whole time of filming. (Not uncommon, but you'd think that he would visit to check on his project/ investment). It was only when the movie became famous that the production issues were discussed. (I've seen the film & I liked it).

    So yeah, in this case the crew weren't housed near the set (Santa Fe) - maybe the accoms are cheaper in farther Albuquerque? The 50-mile daily commute must be grueling (yes, they agreed to it but that still sucks).

    Here in PH, there are also issues of contractual/ non Union staff or crew who didn't get paid on time. It's still an ongoing case (ABS-CBN network).

    Re: the Alec Baldwin case, I hope the publicity this generates will push for better & safer working conditions within the industry.

    RIP to the cinematographer...

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat havnfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Happy Land
    Posts
    1,696
    The perfect crime.

  14. #39
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    25,715
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    You have no idea.
    You covered it there.

  15. #40
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Willy View Post
    Links to these shooting incidents?

    Complaints ranged from long hours, delayed pay cheques, and a 50-mile daily commute to accommodation in Albuquerque“
    Copied from the CBC News app, can't give you a link from an app.

    The Los Angeles Times, citing two crew members it did not name, reported that five days before the shooting, Baldwin's stunt double accidentally fired two live rounds after being told the gun didn't have any ammunition.

    A crew member who was alarmed by the misfires told a unit production manager in a text message, "We've now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe," according to a copy of the message reviewed by the newspaper.
    The New York Times also reported that there were at least two earlier accidental gun discharges; it cited three former crew members.

  16. #41
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,591
    Quote Originally Posted by katie23 View Post
    Re: the Alec Baldwin case, I hope the publicity this generates will push for better & safer working conditions within the industry.
    The union recently held a strike vote that was almost unanimous in favor of a strike. An agreement was then made with the producers, but has yet to be voted on by the members.

  17. #42
    Thailand Expat Saint Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Posts
    10,868
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    A scapegoat? Hardly. It was literally her job to ensure firearms safety.
    A girl of 24 years.

  18. #43
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    25,715
    What, a 24 year old ‘girl’ can’t be responsible for anything?

  19. #44
    In Uranus
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    25,244
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    The union recently held a strike vote that was almost unanimous in favor of a strike.
    Not to mention that several had walked off the set. Willy is speaking out the side of his mouth. The union was doing what it was created for. To protect workers. Willy best stop with the anti-union shit it has nothing to do with this thread. Wave your trump flag someplace else.

    #unionstrong.

  20. #45
    Thailand Expat Saint Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Posts
    10,868
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    The union was doing what it was created for. To protect workers
    unions are there to feather their own nests.


  21. #46
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Willy View Post
    its not curious at all. A perfect example of unions trying to cash in on a tragedy and completely ducking despicable!
    How is that. please explain.

  22. #47
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Willy View Post
    A girl of 24 years.
    what is wrong with a 24 year old? They seem to be good enough to fight your wars , entrusted with WMDs and of limited one, but they are not good enough to be held responsible for checking if a gun is loaded?

  23. #48
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    8,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Willy View Post
    unions are there to feather their own nests.
    NO!

    Unions help to create OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Act)
    Last edited by S Landreth; 24-10-2021 at 09:58 AM.

  24. #49
    Member Samuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    #unionstrong.
    Your logic doesn't make sense, BSnub: The union (whose members are in charge of safety issues on the set) walked off because those in charge of safety issues weren't doing a good enough job.

    As mentioned already, the union boys were forced off the set for whining about their commute:

    Alec Baldwin '''Rust''' camera crew walked off before shooting - The San Diego Union-Tribune

    Shooting began on Oct. 6 and members of the production said they had been promised the production would pay for their hotel rooms in Santa Fe.

    But after filming began, the crews were told they instead would be required to make the 50-mile drive from Albuquerque each day, rather than stay overnight in nearby Santa Fe.

    As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, the knowledgeable person said.

    A member of the producer staff then ordered the union members to leave the set. She said if they didn’t leave, the producers would call security to remove them.
    Last edited by Samuel; 24-10-2021 at 09:32 AM.

  25. #50
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,676
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    Copied from the CBC News app, can't give you a link from an app.
    They haven't figured out a better/safer way to film gun shots ? Don't they add the sound later anyway ? Sounds like a very Mickey mouse operation

    Someone should be getting a manslaughter charge

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •