Page 1 of 27 12345678911 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 663
  1. #1
    Never Mind The Bollix
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Posts
    12,724

    Paris shooting: at least 12 people killed at offices of French newspaper

    At least 12 people have been killed by gunmen armed with Kalashnikovs and a rocket-launcher, after they opened fire in the offices of French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, Paris prosecutors say.



    French police say two police officers are among those killed.
    At least 10 were also injured in the shooting at the Paris offices of the newspaper that has been firebombed in the past after it published cartoons in 2011 joking about Muslim leaders.

    Deputy Mayor of Paris Bruno Julliard earlier said "six people are seriously injured", including a policeman.
    Union official Rocco Contento described the scene inside the offices as "carnage".
    French president Francois Hollande headed to the scene of the attack and the government said it was raising France's security level to the highest notch.

    "This is a terrorist attack, there is no doubt about it," Mr Hollande said.
    The British Prime Minister David Cameron described the attack as "sickening".

    "The murders in Paris are sickening. We stand with the French people in the fight against terror and defending the freedom of the press," he said in a message on Twitter.

    A source close to the investigation said two men "armed with a Kalashnikov and a rocket-launcher" stormed the building in central Paris and "fire was exchanged with security forces."

    The source said gunmen had hijacked a car and knocked over a pedestrian as he sped away.

    The publication's cartoonist Renaud Luzier earlier told AFP there were "casualties" after the incident.
    "About a half an hour ago two black-hooded men entered the building with Kalashnikovs (guns)," another witness told French iTELE TV News.

    "A few minutes later we heard lots of shots," he said, adding that the men were then seen fleeing the building.


    The satirical weekly has courted continued controversy in the past with its depiction of news and current affairs.
    The publication gained notoriety in February 2006 when it reprinted cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed that had originally appeared in Danish daily Jyllands-Posten, causing fury across the Muslim world.

    Its offices were fire-bombed in November 2011 when it published a cartoon of Mohammed and under the title "Charia Hebdo".

    Despite being taken to court under anti-racism laws, the magazine continued to publish controversial cartoons of the Muslim prophet.
    In September 2012 Charlie Hebdo published cartoons of a naked Mohammed as violent protests were taking place in several countries over a low-budget film, titled "Innocence of Muslims", which was made in the United States and insulted the prophet.

    French schools, consulates and cultural centres in 20 Muslim countries were briefly closed along with embassies for fear of retaliatory attacks.
    Editor Stephane Charbonnier has received death threats and lives under police protection.

    Its latest tweet was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

    Paris shooting: at least 12 people killed, around 10 injured, at offices of French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

  2. #2
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    RIP

    A select few will be along to assure us this is not related to Islam but just the actions of some madmen.
    Or it's the Jews fault.

  3. #3
    Member
    YOrlov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    16-07-2015 @ 10:54 AM
    Posts
    474
    Extreme fundamentalism the enemy , not the religions, although I cannot really defend anyone's beliefs in such outrageous myths.

    There was an article last week about some Jewish extremist group that had a plane delayed as they would not sit next to women.
    Ask Palestinians about Jewish extremists.

    Weren't a bunch Buddhist killing Muslims in Myanmar not too long ago

    Weren't the Branch Davidians Christian?

    It is political, using religion as a basis.

  4. #4
    R.I.P. Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    26,216
    Sacre Bleu.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99
    Or it's the Jews fault.
    Pseudolus will be along claiming that, I'm sure.

  6. #6
    Never Mind The Bollix
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Posts
    12,724
    Quote Originally Posted by YOrlov
    There was an article last week about some Jewish extremist group that had a plane delayed as they would not sit next to women.
    They cannot shake women's hands ever in case they are menstruating. Bumping elbows on an aircraft may fall under a similar ruling even though there are no airplanes in the torah. This is why the big religions need to get with the programme and publish revised editions of their big books for the 21st century.

  7. #7
    R.I.P.
    patsycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 09:54 PM
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    7,393
    12 dead and 4 between life and death.

    I'm watching it live on French TV.

    Oh, and Sarkozy is making a speech, whereas Hollande is not making his speech until the 20h news!!

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,386
    the french, and the brits for that matter, should take lessons from the israelis when it comes to dealing with muslim violence on home turf.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,505
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile
    the french, and the brits for that matter, should take lessons from the israelis when it comes to dealing with muslim violence on home turf.
    Thank you Benjamin Netanyahu. Well spoken.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    RIP

    A select few will be along to assure us this is not related to Islam but just the actions of some madmen.
    Or it's the Jews fault.
    It will not only be a few on here, I am awaiting the cowardly U.K politicians to say the same.
    People of the Western world are getting pissed off with our cowardly politicians and the Press always blaming the White Male.
    These French journalists upset the dark skinned natives, yep white mans fault again.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,022
    Way of the world.

    Everyone has enemies.
    Usually created or brought on unnecessarily.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Posts
    14,478
    As long as they treat it as a crime and not some doctrinal act representing a vanguard for the second coming of Allah and act accordingly I'm sure La Republique will manage.

    If they also take the opportunity to lay waste to the Jungle in Calais and rid that poor burgh of the utter dross that they have allowed to accumulate would be a step in the right direction.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Even people in Thailand who are not too bright, realize that there are topics that you joke about at your peril. I am referring of course to the laws protecting royalty.

    And they keep away from the subject. They keep their thought crimes private and stay out of jail as a result.


    The same applies to Islamic issues. Keep away from them.
    And there is no use shrugging and saying

    'I can say what I like, 'Free Speech' '


    .....yes, you may have your free speech, but that doesn't mean you should use that right to insult, and if you do, you'll be just as dead as someone who laid down their life for some other useless reason.

  14. #14
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Of The Moog View Post
    Even people in Thailand who are not too bright, realize that there are topics that you joke about at your peril. I am referring of course to the laws protecting royalty.

    And they keep away from the subject. They keep their thought crimes private and stay out of jail as a result.


    The same applies to Islamic issues. Keep away from them.
    And there is no use shrugging and saying

    'I can say what I like, 'Free Speech' '


    .....yes, you may have your free speech, but that doesn't mean you should use that right to insult, and if you do, you'll be just as dead as someone who laid down their life for some other useless reason.


    Well, you bend over and take it quite quickly........
    Do we need to respect Islam or do they need to respect free speech and realize their medieval beliefs are best kept as a personal thing?

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,386
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Of The Moog View Post
    Even people in Thailand who are not too bright, realize that there are topics that you joke about at your peril. I am referring of course to the laws protecting royalty.

    And they keep away from the subject. They keep their thought crimes private and stay out of jail as a result.


    The same applies to Islamic issues. Keep away from them.
    And there is no use shrugging and saying

    'I can say what I like, 'Free Speech' '


    .....yes, you may have your free speech, but that doesn't mean you should use that right to insult, and if you do, you'll be just as dead as someone who laid down their life for some other useless reason.
    as a journalist yourself i thought you would have a more enlightened view of this, but instead you kowtow to the threats of people who have nothing but contempt for the western way of life yet seek to live there and enjoy its benefits.

    as i said before, the israelis know best how to deal with those who wish to attack their homeland, and it isnt by adopting the bovine complacency or the hand wringing angst that you seem to recommend. if they cant take robust criticism, they should not be living in the west. its not the other way round.

    try opening a bible in public in saudi arabia or pakistan, and see how they respond.

    fucking animals.
    Last edited by taxexile; 07-01-2015 at 11:07 PM.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Free Speech (and cue someone to cite Voltaire out of context) is not about insulting people.

    Socal was the kind of person who thought it was. 'I live or die by free speech' he said (demanding the right to slag off whomsoever he chose - his request denied by moderators)

    If you're a journalist, you're making yourself a war correspondent by taking the piss out of Islam. And you know darn well you're taking that risk. Actually its worse than that, a war correspondent just reports, a journalist who does this is making himself the prime frontline target.

    Some bloke on the BBC now moaning about people who 'don't like being laughed at' Well, if they don't like it, don't laugh at them. Look at how people on Teakdoor take their dignity seriously and gas on for years on end about perceived slights - and they're anonymous handles !

    People don't break lese majeste laws in Thailand, so perhaps French folk should lay off Islam and Americans should lay off Kim Jong Un - unless they are prepared to risk reprisals. Its just common sense, especially if you are a bread winner in the family.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    zygote1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    20-05-2015 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Hua Hin
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by YOrlov View Post
    Extreme fundamentalism the enemy , not the religions, although I cannot really defend anyone's beliefs in such outrageous myths.

    There was an article last week about some Jewish extremist group that had a plane delayed as they would not sit next to women.
    Ask Palestinians about Jewish extremists.

    Weren't a bunch Buddhist killing Muslims in Myanmar not too long ago

    Weren't the Branch Davidians Christian?

    It is political, using religion as a basis.
    Not Jewish extremists but holy rollers who's views forbid them for sitting next to women who are not their wives. They can ask for a change in seating and that's about it if someone says no. The previous event related to an El Al flight where the holy rollers wanted to segregate themselves and offered compensation to the people who would be moved. They were told to bugger off. This is dealt with one the largest FF website. Hardly the same sort of situation as Islamic gunman doing what they do naturally is it?

    Branch Davidians were NOT Christian despite their claim. David Koresh had declared himself the Messiah, and according to the gospel, such a claim is contrary to Christianity. As such, they were a cult.

    The brutality of the Myanmar Buddhists while wrong, was a response to an ongoing conflict with muslims who have condemned Buddhists to death as infidels.

    Want to try again?
    Kindness is spaying and neutering one's companion animals.

  18. #18
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Of The Moog View Post
    Free Speech (and cue someone to cite Voltaire out of context) is not about insulting people.

    Socal was the kind of person who thought it was. 'I live or die by free speech' he said (demanding the right to slag off whomsoever he chose - his request denied by moderators)

    If you're a journalist, you're making yourself a war correspondent by taking the piss out of Islam. And you know darn well you're taking that risk. Actually its worse than that, a war correspondent just reports, a journalist who does this is making himself the prime frontline target.

    Some bloke on the BBC now moaning about people who 'don't like being laughed at' Well, if they don't like it, don't laugh at them. Look at how people on Teakdoor take their dignity seriously and gas on for years on end about perceived slights - and they're anonymous handles !

    People don't break lese majeste laws in Thailand, so perhaps French folk should lay off Islam and Americans should lay off Kim Jong Un - unless they are prepared to risk reprisals. Its just common sense, especially if you are a bread winner in the family.
    "First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.
    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me"


    If a particular group want's the words's respect for it's views, first they have to earn it.....

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    zygote1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    20-05-2015 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Hua Hin
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Of The Moog View Post
    Even people in Thailand who are not too bright, realize that there are topics that you joke about at your peril. I am referring of course to the laws protecting royalty.

    And they keep away from the subject. They keep their thought crimes private and stay out of jail as a result.


    The same applies to Islamic issues. Keep away from them.
    And there is no use shrugging and saying

    'I can say what I like, 'Free Speech' '


    .....yes, you may have your free speech, but that doesn't mean you should use that right to insult, and if you do, you'll be just as dead as someone who laid down their life for some other useless reason.
    Hypocrite and a coward to boot.
    In Arab countries, hate speech and the propagation of blood libel is the order of the day. The targets are Western countries, Christians and of course jews.

    The posting of satirical cartoons is hardly a crime. the journal had pilloried Christians and Jews without any resulting bloodshed. It is their right and it is one protected by the Christians and Jews who were satirized. However, along come some muslims who demand the right to their freedom of religion and their expression, and who use those freedom of speech rights to spread their message of jihad, and get upset over an imagined slight.

    You can surrender to tyranny and accept the mohamedian opression. However, I will not.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Brave words from people writing under obscure pseudonyms about how they won't surrender to extremist doctrine (whilst being quite happy to kiss the jackboot and not challenge Thai laws - one of the world's most anti-free speech jurisdictions)

    The moment you all start publishing under your own names, then we'll know you're taking the sword to Islam.
    Last edited by The Ghost Of The Moog; 07-01-2015 at 11:26 PM.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,386
    Brave words from people writing under obscure pseudonyms about how they won't surrender to religious extremism (whilst being quite happy to kiss the jackboot and not challenge Thai laws - one of the world's most anti-free speech jurisdictions)

    The moment you all start publishing under your own names, then we'll know you're taking the sword to Islam.
    choosing to live in a country without free speech, one knows not to transgress, the laws are obeyed even if not respected.

    there is nothing wrong with speaking freely in a country where free speech is enshrined by law, but choosing to live in a country that upholds free speech and then killing those who speak freely is a very different scenario indeed.

  22. #22
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Of The Moog View Post
    Brave words from people writing under obscure pseudonyms about how they won't surrender to extremist doctrine (whilst being quite happy to kiss the jackboot and not challenge Thai laws - one of the world's most anti-free speech jurisdictions)

    The moment you all start publishing under your own names, then we'll know you're taking the sword to Islam.
    Thailand is Thailand and we choose to live here under it's laws.
    Last I checked, France was not an Islamic theocracy and any Muslims there choose to live there under it's laws, probably because their own Islamic country is a pestilent shithole...

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Of The Moog
    Some bloke on the BBC now moaning about people who 'don't like being laughed at' Well, if they don't like it, don't laugh at them.
    Why should we not laugh at them? I think humour will be one of the most effective weapons in the neutering of Islamic extremism over the next 10 to 20 years..
    If their copy was in some way comic or wry - at Private Eye level, I'd have admiration for their irreverence.

    But listening now on telly to the French gags that passed for Charlie Hebdo's attempts at 'humour'. They were absolutely pathetic.

  24. #24
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Of The Moog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Of The Moog
    Some bloke on the BBC now moaning about people who 'don't like being laughed at' Well, if they don't like it, don't laugh at them.
    Why should we not laugh at them? I think humour will be one of the most effective weapons in the neutering of Islamic extremism over the next 10 to 20 years..
    If their copy was in some way comic or wry - at Private Eye level, I'd have admiration for their irreverence.

    But listening now on telly to the French gags that passed for Charlie Hebdo's attempts at 'humour'. They were absolutely pathetic.

    Humor often doesn't translate as well across cultural/language barriers as being a pussy does.

  25. #25
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Not the best publicity stunt these ragheads could cook up.

    This latest Muslim atrocity in France will kick-start quite a move against them.
    Germany's had enough as well, so the issue of Islamization of Europe is coming to a nasty head.

    A returned jihadist killed four people earlier last year, and this lot had Kalashnikovs and a rocket launcher, (what carried through customs as a souvenir?) and seemed very practiced and capable of doing what they wanted.

    Possibly newly returned French Muslim jihadists? Very probably.

    UK laws are now getting tighter, hopefully nothing like this last horror will happen there.

Page 1 of 27 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •