Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 357
  1. #251
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 08:08 PM
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    ^Interesting. Strange laws - sentenced to 5 years, which was light to begin with, and then out in less than a year. For murder?
    Glad you put the question mark at the end - it wasn't murder. Please pay attention.

  2. #252
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,880
    ^Murder or 'culpable homicide' - he still killed her. She's dead. He's serving less than a year. Play word games all you want, it's bullshit.

  3. #253
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    21-11-2019 @ 08:54 AM
    Posts
    36,453
    Can they now have a civil suit and rape him until he bleeds Christmas colours?...

  4. #254
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsetBkk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    ^Interesting. Strange laws - sentenced to 5 years, which was light to begin with, and then out in less than a year. For murder?
    Glad you put the question mark at the end - it wasn't murder. Please pay attention.
    He knew what he was doing, knew she was in the toilet trying to get away from him, he knew there'd be a good chance of hitting her if he fired through the door in the general direction of the toilet bowl, he knew where that was, he also knew the rule of not firing at an unidentified target, which rule he broke.

    Culpable homicide is a cop-out verdict.

    He deliberately shot her to death, several times, and his story doesn't add up one bit.

    Let's see what the prosecution's appeal(and his) will bring.

  5. #255
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Posts
    62,311
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsetBkk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    ^Interesting. Strange laws - sentenced to 5 years, which was light to begin with, and then out in less than a year. For murder?
    Glad you put the question mark at the end - it wasn't murder. Please pay attention.
    He knew what he was doing, knew she was in the toilet trying to get away from him, he knew there'd be a good chance of hitting her if he fired through the door in the general direction of the toilet bowl, he knew where that was, he also knew the rule of not firing at an unidentified target, which rule he broke.

    Culpable homicide is a cop-out verdict.

    He deliberately shot her to death, several times, and his story doesn't add up one bit.

    Let's see what the prosecution's appeal(and his) will bring.
    Next you'll be telling me that OJ killed Nicole Anne.

  6. #256
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    ^ Idiot.

  7. #257
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Posts
    62,311
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    ^ Idiot.
    Dear God, please teach ENT about irony.


  8. #258
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda
    Dear God, please teach ENT about irony.
    Whooooooosh,.

  9. #259
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,496
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT
    He knew what he was doing, knew she was in the toilet trying to get away from him, he knew there'd be a good chance of hitting her if he fired through the door in the general direction of the toilet bowl, he knew where that was, he also knew the rule of not firing at an unidentified target, which rule he broke.
    All perhaps true but the bulldog failed to convince the court he "knew" it was she. Not a cop out. So culpable homicide the only thing the judgement could be.

    Personally I think the 5 years with possible release under custodial supervision in 10 months is too light. 5 years or more with no possibility better.

    Like OJ, regardless of the court judgement, Oscar is well and truely finished professionally and personally.

  10. #260
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 08:08 PM
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    ^Murder or 'culpable homicide' - he still killed her. She's dead. He's serving less than a year. Play word games all you want, it's bullshit.
    'word games' ?

    That's the difference between the truth and bullshit.

  11. #261
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,880
    ^What exactly is your point. He gunned her down. She's dead. He did it.

    Culpable homicide or murder, it doesn't change the facts above.

  12. #262
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    the bulldog failed to convince the court he "knew" it was she. Not a cop out. So culpable homicide the only thing the judgement could be.
    I don't believe that to be true after reading this.
    Experts say there are grounds for an appeal, partly because the judge may have misapplied a part of South African law called "dolus eventualis" — which says someone should be found guilty of murder if they foresaw the possibility of killing someone and went ahead anyway. The experts questioned how Masipa ruled that Pistorius did not predict that someone might die when he decided to shoot four times from close range into a small toilet cubicle in his home, hitting Steenkamp in the hip, arm and head.
    Grant wrote online analyses of the case, arguing in one that "there appears to be nothing to save us from the inevitable conclusion that Masipa made errors of law and errors of logic."
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pistorius-...t.html#gkb8CAW

  13. #263
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT
    He knew what he was doing, knew she was in the toilet trying to get away from him, he knew there'd be a good chance of hitting her if he fired through the door in the general direction of the toilet bowl, he knew where that was, he also knew the rule of not firing at an unidentified target, which rule he broke.
    All perhaps true but the bulldog failed to convince the court he "knew" it was she. Not a cop out. So culpable homicide the only thing the judgement could be.

    Personally I think the 5 years with possible release under custodial supervision in 10 months is too light. 5 years or more with no possibility better.

    Like OJ, regardless of the court judgement, Oscar is well and truely finished professionally and personally.
    I agree, the "bulldog" should have pushed the point that Oscar knew that Eva was behind the toilet door.

    Why he didn't might be because he thought that it was just too obvious to even a blind man and his dog that Oscar knew she was there, so he rested his case on what he may have hoped was the court's and the public's intelligent and logical perception of events, which, sadly wasn't very obviously present, regarding that point, IMO.

    I wonder if the prosecution can bring the matter up in the forthcoming appeal(s)?

  14. #264
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    "there appears to be nothing to save us from the inevitable conclusion that Masipa made errors of law and errors of logic."
    I'm inclined to agree with this.

  15. #265
    Molecular Mixup
    blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    Location
    54N
    Posts
    11,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic
    Experts say there are grounds for an appeal
    unless it's all fixed from the start, then why would they bother

  16. #266
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Reported today by Reeva's Mother that she had not yet had sex with Pistorius despite them dating for 3 months.

    No wonder he shot her...

  17. #267
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 08:08 PM
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsetBkk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    ^Interesting. Strange laws - sentenced to 5 years, which was light to begin with, and then out in less than a year. For murder?
    Glad you put the question mark at the end - it wasn't murder. Please pay attention.
    He knew what he was doing, knew she was in the toilet trying to get away from him, he knew there'd be a good chance of hitting her if he fired through the door in the general direction of the toilet bowl, he knew where that was, he also knew the rule of not firing at an unidentified target, which rule he broke.

    Culpable homicide is a cop-out verdict.

    He deliberately shot her to death, several times, and his story doesn't add up one bit.

    Let's see what the prosecution's appeal(and his) will bring.
    You should have offered yourself to the 'pit bull' prosecutor as a witness! With your telepathic and/or mind-reading abilities, he would have won the case hands down.

  18. #268
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Posts
    62,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Reported today by Reeva's Mother that she had not yet had sex with Pistorius despite them dating for 3 months.

    No wonder he shot her...

  19. #269
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 08:08 PM
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Reported today by Reeva's Mother that she had not yet had sex with Pistorius despite them dating for 3 months.

    No wonder he shot her...
    If you want to know what your future wife will look like after a few years, look at her mother.

    No wonder he shot her...

  20. #270
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsetBkk
    If you want to know what your future wife will look like after a few years, look at her mother.
    Thanks for the info. I've just finished burying the missus in the back garden.

  21. #271
    Thailand Expat
    Sumocakewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    nyukville
    Posts
    3,033

    Prosecution Says It Will Appeal Pistorius Verdict

    AP
    October 27, 2014
    By Christopher Torchia

    South African prosecutors will appeal the verdict and sentencing of Oscar Pistorius, who was handed a 5-year prison term after being convicted of culpable homicide, the country's National Prosecuting Authority said Monday.

    "We are appealing it," said Nathi Mncube Mncube, a prosecution spokesman. "Both conviction and sentence."

    Prosecutors will file papers in court, and more details about their appeal arguments will be available at that time, Mncube said.

    Pistorius started serving his prison sentence on Oct. 21 after he was acquitted of murder by a judge and found guilty of a lesser charge of culpable homicide, or manslaughter, for shooting girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp through a toilet door in his home last year.

    Under the current terms, the Olympic runner is eligible for release after 10 months and would then complete his sentence under house arrest.

    At the time of the sentencing, Mncube said prosecutors were disappointed with the culpable homicide conviction and that prosecutors believed they had a strong murder case against the double-amputee athlete.

    The decision to go ahead with further court action means Pistorius could still face a murder conviction and a much longer prison term for killing Steenkamp.

    Chief prosecutor Gerrie Nel laid the groundwork for the decision to appeal, speaking with Prof. James Grant, a criminal law specialist at Johannesburg's University of the Witwatersrand, Mncube said.

    Judge Thokozile Masipa's decision to acquit Pistorius of the culpable homicide charge had been questioned by some legal analysts.

    Grant, a television analyst during Pistorius' trial, was among them and wrote on Twitter that he had advised prosecutor Nel to appeal. He said he agreed to assist.

    Experts say there are grounds for an appeal, partly because the judge may have misapplied a part of South African law called "dolus eventualis" which says someone should be found guilty of murder if they foresaw the possibility of killing someone and went ahead anyway. The experts questioned how Masipa ruled that Pistorius did not predict that someone might die when he decided to shoot four times from close range into a small toilet cubicle in his home, hitting Steenkamp in the hip, arm and head.

    Prosecution says it will appeal Pistorius verdict


  22. #272
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    June Steenkamp says she is prepared to meet Oscar Pistorius face to face
    But she is adamant an apology for shooting her daughter is 'not enough'

    June Steenkamp has revealed she and her husband are willing to one day meet Oscar Pistorius and ask him face to face why he shot dead their daughter.

    The couple have never actually met Pistorius, who was last month jailed for five years for killing their daughter Reeva, but Mrs Steenkamp is steeling herself for the inevitable day they finally meet and have the opportunity to ask him why he pulled the trigger.

    During his trial, Pistorius stood before the court and issued a tearful public apology to the Steenkamps - an act she said she was completely unmoved by - and he has also made a request to meet them in person.

    But this request came too soon after the harrowing ordeal of losing their daughter and at that time they were not yet ready to speak to him.
    'What can he say? Sorry is not enough,' she told the Guardian.
    'What can he say and what would we want to talk to him about? I don't know.
    'But one day that confrontation will come. Altercation? Maybe. Violence? No, I don't think so. But that day has to come.'

    Following a seven month trial, on October 21 Pistorius was acquitted of murder and found guilty of the lesser charge of culpable homicide in a ruling and interpretation of the law which was heavily criticised for being too lenient.

    Under the current terms, the Paralympian is eligible for release after 10 months and would then complete his sentence under house arrest.

    Mrs Steenkamp's belief that she and her husband will one day meet with Pistorius follows her claims her daughter never had sex with him during their three-month relationship and was about to leave the disgraced athlete on the night he shot her dead.

    Pistorius previously told his murder trial that the couple were planning a life together, but she said she has 'no doubt in her mind' that her daughter wanted to end their romance and believed it was only a matter of time before he killed somebody.

    She also said the model refused to sleep with the Paralympian because she had 'nagging doubts about their compatibility', the Times Magazine reported.

    In Judge Masipa's judgment explaining why she could only convict Pistorius on culpable homicide, or manslaughter, the 67 year-old judge acknowledged that a 'reasonable' person with Pistorius's disabilities would have foreseen that shooting into the door may have killed the person inside.

    However, she said South African legal precedents warned against automatically assuming that because a perpetrator 'should have' foreseen the consequences of his actions that he actually did.

    She said that the prosecution had failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the double amputee foresaw the fatal consequences of his actions when he shot at the door, meaning she could not convict him on a murder charge.

    But South African prosecutors have confirmed they will appeal the manslaughter verdict and five-year prison sentence after failing to secure the murder conviction.

    Prosecution spokesman Nathi Mncube said the next step would be to file papers in court.

    It came amid reports the runner had spent 1million in legal fees during the trial - with nearly half that amount still unpaid - raising questions how the athlete would fund a second defence.

    Last week, prosecutors admitted they had 'an appetite' for an appeal, with chief lawyer Gerrie Nel holding urgent meetings with the country's most senior legal experts to build a case.

    Professor James Grant, who was one of the first to be consulted, said it would not be straightforward process.

    The high-profile nature of the Blade Runner’s trial had raised questionable legal precedents that academics argued against for years, he added.

    A ruling on a case heard before South Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeal more than 30 years ago set a precedent that now limits the state’s right of appeal.

    In order for the verdict in Pistorius's case to be challenged, the earlier case would also have to be appealed.

    Read more: Reeva Steenkamp's mother wants to ask Oscar Pistorius why he killed her daughter | Daily Mail Online

  23. #273
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,824
    Old Oscar may have to stay longer in jail.

    EXCLUSIVE: Oscar Pistorius may be forced to stay in jail because he has NO ANKLES for electronic tag

    • Athlete hopes for release after just ten months for killing Reeva Steenkamp
    • But prison bosses have told him he cannot take part in monitoring scheme
    • They say tag cannot be properly monitored if fitted to his removable limbs
    • Tags can't by law be fixed to wrists because they are too easily taken off
    • Prosecution's request to appeal manslaughter verdict to be heard on Dec 9
    • Pistorius being held in the same prison cell as disgraced former Police chief
    • He is served porridge, a basic lunch and slices of buttered bread for dinner
    Oscar Pistorius may stay in jail because he has NO ANKLES for electronic tag | Daily Mail Online

  24. #274
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    And no visible means of support either.

  25. #275
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumocakewalk View Post
    AP
    October 27, 2014
    By Christopher Torchia

    South African prosecutors will appeal the verdict and sentencing of Oscar Pistorius, who was handed a 5-year prison term after being convicted of culpable homicide, the country's National Prosecuting Authority said Monday.

    "We are appealing it," said Nathi Mncube Mncube, a prosecution spokesman. "Both conviction and sentence."

    Prosecutors will file papers in court, and more details about their appeal arguments will be available at that time, Mncube said.

    Pistorius started serving his prison sentence on Oct. 21 after he was acquitted of murder by a judge and found guilty of a lesser charge of culpable homicide, or manslaughter, for shooting girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp through a toilet door in his home last year.

    Under the current terms, the Olympic runner is eligible for release after 10 months and would then complete his sentence under house arrest.

    At the time of the sentencing, Mncube said prosecutors were disappointed with the culpable homicide conviction and that prosecutors believed they had a strong murder case against the double-amputee athlete.

    The decision to go ahead with further court action means Pistorius could still face a murder conviction and a much longer prison term for killing Steenkamp.

    Chief prosecutor Gerrie Nel laid the groundwork for the decision to appeal, speaking with Prof. James Grant, a criminal law specialist at Johannesburg's University of the Witwatersrand, Mncube said.

    Judge Thokozile Masipa's decision to acquit Pistorius of the culpable homicide charge had been questioned by some legal analysts.

    Grant, a television analyst during Pistorius' trial, was among them and wrote on Twitter that he had advised prosecutor Nel to appeal. He said he agreed to assist.

    Experts say there are grounds for an appeal, partly because the judge may have misapplied a part of South African law called "dolus eventualis" which says someone should be found guilty of murder if they foresaw the possibility of killing someone and went ahead anyway. The experts questioned how Masipa ruled that Pistorius did not predict that someone might die when he decided to shoot four times from close range into a small toilet cubicle in his home, hitting Steenkamp in the hip, arm and head.

    Prosecution says it will appeal Pistorius verdict


    Making an appeal is a natural progression of the legal system whether or not everyone THINKS the accused is guilty or not.

    Speaking about BS, the legal system is full of it..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •