Page 1 of 14 12345678911 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 348

Thread: Don't Wai Me

  1. #1
    Mmmm, Bowling......
    mobs00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    05-09-2015 @ 03:26 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    2,161

    Don't Wai Me

    What is with these foreigners that “wai” other foreigners. I mean what are you supposed to do when some guy wai’s you at a bar?

    I get this quite often at my place and it’s always just weird. There I am saying hello and the guy wai’s me. WTF? It’s uncomfortable, what do they expect? That I'm gonna return the favor? I wasn’t born here and I am almost certain they weren’t either. On top of that when they do it it's always over exaggerated with that stupid head cocked to the side look and the hands up high near the forehead. They are obviously aware of this fact so why do it? Does it look cool? Are they thinking: “Hey look at me I’m integrated.”



    What’s next? Foreigners buying photos and calendars to put in their home? Wearing certain colors on certain days?

    So what do you do? Just leave them hanging? Like someone’s about to give you a high five and no one’s there?

    Me? Put your hand out and I’ll shake it but I’m not gonna wai you.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    LOL
    they are obviously insane
    Avoid them!

  3. #3

    R.I.P.


    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    Leave them hanging and ask them what the fok do they think they are doing.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by mobs00
    So what do you do?
    Glasgow kiss?

  5. #5
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    I raise my right hand, palm outward, separate my fingers into a V with two fingers either side, and say Nanu Nanu!

  6. #6
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    It is rather amusing to observe.

  7. #7
    Member beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    14-05-2018 @ 02:42 PM
    Posts
    821
    Never seen it. I've really got to start getting out more.
    .... or maybe I don't.

  8. #8
    Mmmm, Bowling......
    mobs00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    05-09-2015 @ 03:26 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    2,161
    It's just weird. You expect a Thai to do it but when a foreigner does it you get caught off guard.

    What if someone just starts saluting you? What then?

  9. #9
    Member beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    14-05-2018 @ 02:42 PM
    Posts
    821
    I always salute the security guys on the shopping mall entrances when driving in. We're talking a totally different greeting here.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    Quote Originally Posted by mobs00
    What if someone just starts saluting you? What then?
    I always salute back if they are in uniform
    I remember to salute the uniform not the man

  11. #11
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    ^^That's even more weird! I salute royal portraits, catholic priests, and doctors. To show my deep respect for all of them I salute with both hands at the same time. I've had 17 motorbike crashes caused by saluting those giant pictures on the side of the road.

  12. #12
    Party Animal!
    Fuzzy Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    10-05-2012 @ 09:17 PM
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    2,084
    I just give them "The look".

  13. #13
    Mmmm, Bowling......
    mobs00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    05-09-2015 @ 03:26 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    2,161
    I do get the guys just off the boat who wai everything in sight but these guys I am talking about have lived here long enough to know when it's appropriate or should know.

  14. #14
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    I always salute the security guys on the shopping mall entrances when driving in. We're talking a totally different greeting here.
    Big C guards are my favourite.

  15. #15
    Mmmm, Bowling......
    mobs00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    05-09-2015 @ 03:26 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    ...saluting those giant pictures on the side of the road.
    I've even seen foreigners doing that. That's pretty odd in itself.

  16. #16
    Eric
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    06-08-2012 @ 11:53 PM
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    2,231
    I see farang tourist giving the McDonalds guys here on KSR a nice big wai when they get their Chicken Mcnuggets and change.

    Creeps me out, you wouldn't go round the counter and give a Mc Donalds staff member a big slap on the back and squeeze back in the West.

  17. #17
    Mmmm, Bowling......
    mobs00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    05-09-2015 @ 03:26 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    2,161
    ^ no, just a pat on the ass and say "nice work"

  18. #18
    Mmmm, Bowling......
    mobs00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    05-09-2015 @ 03:26 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    2,161
    Come to think of it, that's sounds a whole lot better than wai-ing my staff.

  19. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by mobs00 View Post
    I do get the guys just off the boat who wai everything in sight but these guys I am talking about have lived here long enough to know when it's appropriate or should know.
    One would think {long-time residents} that Thai friends or family would pull them aside and set them straight. After years, you thnk they'd pick up on the this and that - obviously not.

  20. #20
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brown
    I see farang tourist giving the McDonalds guys here on KSR a nice big wai when they get their Chicken Mcnuggets and change. Creeps me out, you wouldn't go round the counter and give a Mc Donalds staff member a big slap on the back and squeeze back in the West.
    That gives me a chuckle to myself and a little shiver at the same time, though in that sittuation the staff realise, and I, as a third party observer realise that the tourist is just trying to be polite, a lot better than some drunken wankers I see being purposfuly being rude to the staff.


  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    I was told 30 years ago by my Father's Thai co-workers not to wai hookers.

  22. #22
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,499
    Quote Originally Posted by mobs00
    They are obviously aware of this fact so why do it?
    You are giving them far too much credit.

  23. #23
    Eric
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    06-08-2012 @ 11:53 PM
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by English Noodles
    though in that sittuation the staff realise, and I, as a third party observer realise that the tourist is just trying to be polite,
    Yes that's true; however it is strangly embarrassing and I have seen some extremley shocked looks back from the Thai staff.

    I'm not talking palms to face, I'm talking bowing quite low and wai-ing just for a cheeseburger

  24. #24
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,499
    Quote Originally Posted by good2bhappy
    I was told 30 years ago by my Father's Thai co-workers not to wai hookers.
    Absolutely correct. Paying them is common courtesy however.

  25. #25
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by English Noodles
    though in that sittuation the staff realise, and I, as a third party observer realise that the tourist is just trying to be polite,
    Yes that's true; however it is strangly embarrassing and I have seen some extremley shocked looks back from the Thai staff.

    I'm not talking palms to face, I'm talking bowing quite low and wai-ing just for a cheeseburger
    That's weird. OTT strange...even for a tourist or newbie.

Page 1 of 14 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •