Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    RandomChances's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    05-02-2016 @ 12:46 AM
    Location
    Riyadh
    Posts
    2,687

    Living in Thailand...How has it changed you?

    For those of us that live here or have lived here in Thailand, how has your experiance here changed you?

    I think I have far more patiance than before, the pace of life is slower here and things just tend to happen in their own time. Shouting and sreaming about stuff wont get it done any quicker.
    Physicaly I've lost about 15 kg in weight, drink less and smoke more. My hands and feet are like leather and I'm probably fitter than I've been since my late twenties.
    I seem to have developed a resistance to Mossie bites as well...well not that they dont bite me, but I donrt really have any reactions to them any more.
    I have more than the average number of arm and legs

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Posts
    17,466
    More conservative that came from 16 years with the wife. More laid back, you gotta be or you go nuts.

    Finally think of Thailand as home. Really cant fathom going back to the west. Plus I have gotten used to the Thai way of driving, and that will not work in America.

  3. #3
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    I've started wearing fisherman's trousers and flip-flops, and have become lazy and unreliable.

  4. #4
    Member
    Opus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    16-02-2011 @ 11:55 PM
    Location
    Rayong
    Posts
    113
    I am more bewildered than changed at the moment. As we have only been here a short time, I suppose its finding our feet. Maybe in a year or so I will have some more to add.

  5. #5
    Aspiring Guru
    poolcleaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    27-07-2006 @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    pratunam
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus
    I am more bewildered than changed at the moment. As we have only been here a short time, I suppose its finding our feet. Maybe in a year or so I will have some more to add.
    Not a problem Opus.
    We're pretty damn patient here and most will still be here reading in a years time!

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    cantona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    23-02-2019 @ 07:59 PM
    Posts
    1,385
    More relaxed and positive


    Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    Finally think of Thailand as home.
    Got it in one, AO.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    I am more relaxed, more content, more laid, fatter, have more good mates, have more laughs, more free time, and more opportunites.

  8. #8
    Aspiring Guru
    poolcleaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    27-07-2006 @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    pratunam
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    I am more relaxed, more content, more laid, fatter, have more good mates, have more laughs, more free time, and more opportunites and less hair!
    You must have been an 'orrible geezer then.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus
    I am more bewildered than changed at the moment. As we have only been here a short time, I suppose its finding our feet. Maybe in a year or so I will have some more to add.
    It's Ok, just look down, past those knees

    keep going, there they are, at the end

    lots of toes and things

  10. #10

    R.I.P.


    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    Thread split.

  11. #11
    Dis-member
    Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    24-11-2019 @ 06:22 PM
    Location
    Head Rock
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    more laid,
    I believe that's why a lot of men move to Thailand

  12. #12
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    More ear wax

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Skulldigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    20-02-2007 @ 09:51 PM
    Location
    Mostly in Northern Thailand.
    Posts
    1,449
    Found love
    Weaker health
    Fatter
    Fewer friends
    More money and toys
    Increased tolerance towards complete dickheads
    Less intellectual and less interested in conforming

  14. #14
    The Cat
    Bluecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-01-2011 @ 11:00 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomChances
    I seem to have developed a resistance to Mossie bites as well...well not that they dont bite me, but I don't really have any reactions to them any more.
    Same for me, I do not have any reaction anymore to Thai mosquitoes bite.
    Maybe because they're smaller than 'western' ones or smarter, they bite you a few times but only sucking a bit of your blood at a time, more often...
    It does not work in Europe anyway, must be a Thai thing...
    Discussion is an exchange of knowledge, argument is an exchange of ignorance

  15. #15
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    RC was talking about the Thai mosquitoes, those little flying things, Blue.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823
    I itch more

    Not sure what that is all about

  17. #17
    There once upon a time...
    Torbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    02-08-2014 @ 05:14 AM
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Thread split.
    Fuckin' over-moderation again...


    That aside...

    If asked when I first got here to imagine how I saw myself in 3 years time, I kind of think I expected I would find inner peace, lose a shit load of weight, become fluent in Thai, and begin to embrace some eastern religion...

    Reality?

    No inner peace - many things still shit me to tears, but certainly less than 3 years ago.

    Weight? Probably down about 8 - 10 kgs but mostly through playing Australian fotball and tennis. I suppose that is due to Thailand. I certainly wouldn't have been doing either back in Australia at 43. Plus my cholesterol is it's lowest level since I began measuring back in Australia.

    Fluent? Not a chance. Only claim to any credit is rudimentary ability to read and write...still can't understand more than a fraction of conversations around me on BTS or restaurants.

    Eastern religion? Football, perhaps...Thailand has given me much greater exposure to "the beautiful game"...

    Other unexpected changes? Just that I can't really find any reasons to go back to Australia to live any more.

    My attitudes have probably grown slightly more negative toward Thailand (familiarity breeds contempt, perhaps?), but not SE Asia in general...
    Last edited by Torbek; 16-05-2006 at 10:50 PM.

  18. #18
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    TD is notorious for over-moderating.
    We don't even know who the fekking mods are in here!

    And with that dirtydog frightening posters off with comments like this:
    " Hmmmm, rule 10,546 states no references to gambling, sorry but that is a 333 year ban" , you know exactly what to expect.
    Last edited by stroller; 16-05-2006 at 11:00 PM.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    RandomChances's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    05-02-2016 @ 12:46 AM
    Location
    Riyadh
    Posts
    2,687
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel
    I itch more Not sure what that is all about
    You've probably got some sorrt of fungal growth from sweating and the humidity....try showering once in a while and see if it helps

  20. #20
    Aspiring Guru
    poolcleaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    27-07-2006 @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    pratunam
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Torbek
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Thread split.
    Fuckin' over-moderation again...


    That aside...

    If asked when I first got here to imagine how I saw myself in 3 years time, I kind of think I expected I would find inner peace, lose a shit load of weight, become fluent in Thai, and begin to embrace some eastern religion...

    Reality?

    No inner peace - many things still shit me to tears, but certainly less than 3 years ago.

    Weight? Probably down about 8 - 10 kgs but mostly through playing Australian fotball and tennis. I suppose that is due to Thailand. I certainly wouldn't have been doing either back in Australia at 43. Plus my cholesterol is it's lowest level since I began measuring back in Australia.

    Fluent? Not a chance. Only claim to any credit is rudimentary ability to read and write...still can't understand more than a fraction of conversations around me on BTS or restaurants.

    Eastern religion? Football, perhaps...Thailand has given me much greater exposure to "the beautiful game"...

    Other unexpected changes? Just that I can't really find any reasons to go back to Australia to live any more.

    My attitudes have probably grown slightly more negative toward Thailand (familiarity breeds contempt, perhaps?), but not SE Asia in general...
    Another Aussie convert.

    There is hope yet!

  21. #21
    Head Skivvie Stacker Storekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PACNORWEST
    Posts
    11,041
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomChances
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel
    I itch more Not sure what that is all about
    You've probably got some sorrt of fungal growth from sweating and the humidity....try showering once in a while and see if it helps

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •