Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 102
  1. #1
    たのむよ。
    The Gentleman Scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 04:09 PM
    Location
    もうがまんできない!
    Posts
    9,754

    What's the Thai word for 'Initiative'?

    Is there one?

    There's a Thai word for 'incentive', I know that much.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    JoGeAr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    14-10-2016 @ 10:13 PM
    Location
    Chonburi/Brisbane
    Posts
    1,879
    'Thai' and 'initiative' are mutually exclusive words !!

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 05:06 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,807
    Probably 'Mai pen Lai'.

  4. #4
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,453
    sâang-săn - create ; invent ; make ; originate ; devise ; formulate!

  5. #5
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    Location
    Christian Country
    Posts
    15,020
    ^ Sorry, I'm with Sabang on this one.

  6. #6
    たのむよ。
    The Gentleman Scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 04:09 PM
    Location
    もうがまんできない!
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    s‚ang-săn - create ; invent ; make ; originate ; devise ; formulate!
    But they have to be told exactly how to create ; invent ; make ; originate ; devise ; and formulate!

    I must admit though, they are great at copying music.

    It's a bit like going to see the B-52's live, you get what you get on the CD without any passionate diversions or imaginative creative detours as inspired by hard working Filipinos.
    Last edited by The Gentleman Scamp; 11-06-2008 at 09:37 AM.
    "I'm an outsider by choice, but not truly. It's the unpleasantness of the system that keeps me out. I'd rather be in, in a good system. That's where my discontent comes from: being forced to choose to stay outside.
    My advice: Just keep movin' straight ahead. Every now and then you find yourself in a different place."

    George Carlin

  7. #7
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    Location
    Christian Country
    Posts
    15,020
    I can copy CDs on my laptop, too.

  8. #8
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,453
    Risking the wrath of our revered Thai basher's, a visit to Isaan might be in order for all of you if you want to see initiative. You will find people who in spite of having virtually no government safety net take personal initiative everyday. Unlike the citizens of the much superior west, without initiative the people of Isaan would starve to death.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    Unlike the citizens of the much superior west, without initiative the people of Isaan would starve to death.
    Actually, I disagree (a little bit).

    It is because it is nearly impossible to starve in Thailand that Thais have very little initiative and fore-thought. When things are hunky-dory it tends to breed ineptitude/laziness. Look at China after their golden age as an example compared with Northern Europe who had to innovate/have fore-thought in order to survive.

    I do agree that there are examples of innovation in parts of Thailand, especially when it comes to finding solutions in a work situation; for example a lack of correct tools to to a specific job.

  10. #10
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    22-07-2010 @ 01:22 PM
    Posts
    485
    ho Ho Ho.....great thread Scampy.

    Yes, Thais ARE losers aren't they !

  11. #11
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    05-03-2016 @ 12:10 AM
    Location
    Knee deep in it
    Posts
    3,464
    What's the Thai word for logic?

  12. #12
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Scamp
    But they have to be told exactly how to create ; invent ; make ; originate ; devise ; and formulate!
    Yes, a bit like you with all your threads asking marmite how to use photoshop

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Scamp
    But they have to be told exactly how to create ; invent ; make ; originate ; devise ; and formulate!
    Yes, a bit like you with all your threads asking marmite how to use photoshop
    You forgot the visa threads as well.

  14. #14
    lom
    lom is offline
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    8,484
    ^And all the ticket booking threads.

  15. #15
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pot
    What's the Thai word for logic?
    There is none, same as for Initiative.

  16. #16
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pot
    What's the Thai word for logic?
    dtan-gà - logic; thought ; thinking

    Just because it's different than ours doesn't mean Thai logic isn't valid for them.

  17. #17
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Nort, you know that it means nothing, they can not chew gum and walk at the same time..

    Thats the reason that they always stop half way around a street corner if turning, got to be sure that it is what they wanted to do in the first place.

  18. #18
    I don't know barbaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    on pacific ocean, south america
    Posts
    21,406
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Scamp View Post
    Is there one?

    There's a Thai word for 'incentive', I know that much.
    Huh?

    What are you talking about?

  19. #19
    Not an expat
    Fabian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Location
    Hamburg, cold dark Germany
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Scamp
    But they have to be told exactly how to create ; invent ; make ; originate ; devise ; and formulate!
    Yes, a bit like you with all your threads asking marmite how to use photoshop
    You forgot the visa threads as well.
    So I am not the only one who find it a bit funny that Scampy is starting a thread about the lack of initiative of thais?

  20. #20
    anonymous ant
    tsicar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    03-10-2016 @ 11:05 PM
    Location
    isaan/south africa
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pot
    What's the Thai word for logic?
    dtan-gà - logic; thought ; thinking

    Just because it's different than ours doesn't mean Thai logic isn't valid for them.
    i have to agree that thai logic differs from ours. ours is kinda, you know, logical and theirs defies logic! valid for them, yes, but if you hear the reasoning behind some of the things they do, you won't bloody believe it!!

  21. #21
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    What is Thai for "conceited, ill-mannered jerks who cannot look pass their preconceptions"?

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Posts
    13,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    Unlike the citizens of the much superior west, without initiative the people of Isaan would starve to death.
    Actually, I disagree (a little bit).

    It is because it is nearly impossible to starve in Thailand that Thais have very little initiative and fore-thought. .
    Oh really?

    Reading crass statements from clueless falang on boards such as these is usually an entertainment for me but this one certainly takes the biscuit ( excuse the metaphor ) to such a degree that I almost find it as offensive as it is blindingly stupid.

    Poor Isaan folk unable to subsidise their income from proceeds of industry denied to them because there are simply bugger all opportunities have to subsist on an unbalanced diet of rice, fermented fish and whichever edible vegetation can be gathered. Occasionally, pork may be available but due to its cheapness this is probably in the form of poorly nutritious sausages. Children from poverty stricken backgrounds inevitably suffer malnutrition to a degree and consequently their development is hindered both physically and intellectually.

    Perhaps that's why they are so stupid and lazy?

    Any more insights from beer swilling fat farang welded to their barstools of stupidity?

  23. #23
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    ^
    Green.

    Thegent nails it.

  24. #24
    bkkmadness
    Guest
    Well I think that Marmite is getting at the theory that tropical countries with year round food supply and live able conditions didn't need initiative as much as people in the cold countries needed. (Or maybe he wasn't?)

    But of course Scampy is talking arse as usual anyway.

  25. #25
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by bkkmadness
    Well I think that Marmite is getting at the theory that tropical countries with year round food supply and live able conditions didn't need initiative as much as people in the cold countries needed. (Or maybe he wasn't?)
    Who knows, does he know?

    But would this make the precious hi-so farangs (such as Marmite, hell, he got a TEFL certificate, hasn't he) who ventured into this undeveloped, corrupt and dangerous parts for reasons unknown, accomplished winners, maybe geniuses even?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •