Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 230
  1. #1
    Luckydog
    Guest

    Is THIS why they hate our Guts?

    A retired Doctor whose lived in LOS for over 20yrs assures me that kids at school are very often taught to regard us with distain by their Teachers.

    Have you heard this gents?

  2. #2
    Part time poster
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:16 AM
    Location
    Singapore / Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    9,390
    I think that is just Jarvis' students

  3. #3
    たのむよ。
    The Gentleman Scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 04:09 PM
    Location
    もうがまんできない!
    Posts
    9,754
    I doubt it's true but it's a comment worth investigation.

    I think there's teachers out there that may hate farangs due to their experience with unworthy TEFL'ers so maybe their personal grudges reflect on the children.

  4. #4
    Part time poster
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:16 AM
    Location
    Singapore / Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    9,390
    Isn't it part of Thai culture to be this way inclined? The 'we never got colonised' thing.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    If you're a 15-17 year old girl with moderate to above-average looks, I'd bet a fair more than a few friends/family/confidants have suggested she try to snare a farang.

    Is that contempt?

    ***

    I had a semi coherent conversation with a 30-something male in my village recently. The topic was annual visa requirements for farangs.

    His dead-serious, rock-solid case was based solely on the beauty of Thai women. I repeately asked what that had to do with annual visa requirements and he could only smile. But he stuck to it. I was dumbfounded. He was dumb.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    mad_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    10-05-2017 @ 11:52 AM
    Posts
    5,099
    I've never noticed much racism or prejudice here. If we imagine there were rich foreigners grabing all the local women in England or America it would turn to violence or far right political parties in a matter of weeks.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    not if it meant half of us didn't have to work.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    mad_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    10-05-2017 @ 11:52 AM
    Posts
    5,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Texpat View Post
    not if it meant half of us didn't have to work.
    LOL. But being serious what man could pimp out his g/f wife and keep any pride or dignity it makes no sense to me.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    A wise old TD poster once said, "Thais respect one thing. It ain't age or wisdom -- it's not enlightenment or servitude either. Not the almighty nor the crown. Money is the only thing in the Kingdom that gains respect."

    Sumthin' like that eh, PP?

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    mad_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    10-05-2017 @ 11:52 AM
    Posts
    5,099
    Not all Thai men fit that pigeon hole. I know truely dedicated and excellent consultants who don't charge me a penny and only earn 30,000 a month. These guys are driven by a desire to help people and the intellectual challenge of medecine.

    The lao kao lazy bones boys are out there but they are only a percentage. As Thailand becomes richer Thais themselves will see the obscene nature of what these men get their wives and even daughters to do.
    They champion falsehood, support the butcher against the victim, the oppressor against the innocent child. May God mete them the punishment they deserve

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    Of course, a generalization ... And no less true for much of the West...

  12. #12
    ding ding ding
    Spin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Texpat
    His dead-serious, rock-solid case was based solely on the beauty of Thai women
    He has a point though doesnt he, the numbers of farangs here would dwindle if all the chicks disapearred tomorrow. Simplistic but accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_dog
    pride or dignity
    In my brief experience here I cant say I've seen much of either demonstrated by any of the wide spectrum of folks I have encountered here. That includes farangs also, sadly.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Texpat View Post
    A wise old TD poster once said, "Thais respect one thing. It ain't age or wisdom -- it's not enlightenment or servitude either. Not the almighty nor the crown. Money is the only thing in the Kingdom that gains respect."
    No truer words than those.

  14. #14
    Not an expat
    Fabian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Location
    Hamburg, cold dark Germany
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_dog View Post
    The lao kao lazy bones boys are out there but they are only a percentage. As Thailand becomes richer Thais themselves will see the obscene nature of what these men get their wives and even daughters to do.
    What do you mean "will"? Normal thai people already are disgusted with this kind of behaviour and how it is giving Thais a bad name abroad.

  15. #15
    The cold, wet one
    November Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-03-2015 @ 03:06 PM
    Location
    In my happy place
    Posts
    12,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckydog View Post
    A retired Doctor whose lived in LOS for over 20yrs assures me that kids at school are very often taught to regard us with distain by their Teachers.

    Have you heard this gents?
    Am I allowed to answer, LuckyDog? Being the wrong gender, I mean...


    My son goes to an all Thai school. No foreign teachers there at all - so no experience with TEFLers to affect them one way or another. My son's teacher loathes me. She refuses to wai me or greet me in any way & looks at me with very open hostility. She also treats my son unfairly (in my mind) & I think that is probably down to me, as well. I have no idea if this is typical - this is his first year in that school; he used to go to an international kindergarten & there were no problems. But to answer your question, I think yes, that teacher at least has big problems with farangs & possibly does convey her prejudices to her charges.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian
    What do you mean "will"? Normal thai people already are disgusted with this kind of behaviour and how it is giving Thais a bad name abroad.
    exactly.



    Quote Originally Posted by Texpat
    "Thais respect one thing. It ain't age or wisdom -- it's not enlightenment or servitude either. Not the almighty nor the crown. Money is the only thing in the Kingdom that gains respect."
    not all.

    but same same farangs, eh?

  17. #17
    Luckydog
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by November Rain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckydog View Post
    A retired Doctor whose lived in LOS for over 20yrs assures me that kids at school are very often taught to regard us with distain by their Teachers.

    Have you heard this gents?
    Am I allowed to answer, LuckyDog? Being the wrong gender, I mean...


    My son goes to an all Thai school. No foreign teachers there at all - so no experience with TEFLers to affect them one way or another. My son's teacher loathes me. She refuses to wai me or greet me in any way & looks at me with very open hostility. She also treats my son unfairly (in my mind) & I think that is probably down to me, as well. I have no idea if this is typical - this is his first year in that school; he used to go to an international kindergarten & there were no problems. But to answer your question, I think yes, that teacher at least has big problems with farangs & possibly does convey her prejudices to her charges.
    I am sad to hear of this NR. I fear that this kind of thing is widespread.

  18. #18
    Member
    Reaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    15-10-2018 @ 03:49 PM
    Posts
    626
    Same as Hong Kong where they tell the kids the foreigner's are called foreign devils.

  19. #19
    Member Garro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    29-11-2008 @ 06:10 PM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    57
    I think most children around the world are taught that there nation is special and superior. Even if their nation's superiority is that they think of themselves as a tolerant people. I think some people smell through the bullshit while others remain ultra-nationalistic.

    People express their feelings of their nation's superiority in different ways. Some grow up to be football holligans, and the like, while others just hold a silent disdain for other peoples. I think that if Thais do hold these prejudices then the outcome is usually harmless.

    NR: could you not change your kids school again or does he like it otherwise? I hope my child doen't need to go through that nonsense. Mind you it can't be worse than the shit that goes down in many schools in farangland.

  20. #20
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_dog View Post
    I've never noticed much racism or prejudice here.
    I have. Sit in a farang bar for a while and listen to the drunken expats, 90% of their conversation is racism and prejudice.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    Or an expat forum?

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    Got to agree
    Also TEFLers are just as bad always knocking the Thais off(BGs included)

  23. #23
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Texpat View Post
    Or an expat forum?

    Weeeell, I didn't want to be the first to say. Meditating on the picture below helps when the locals refuse to acknowledge my racial superiority.

  24. #24
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    22-07-2010 @ 01:22 PM
    Posts
    485
    they are a little jealous of us, and sometimes people hate folk for whom they feel a sense of envy.

  25. #25
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,230
    Quote Originally Posted by November Rain
    My son's teacher loathes me. She refuses to wai me
    Why should she? Seriously, why should your kids teacher wai to you, i'm at a loss as to understand why you think they should.



    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee
    Quote: Originally Posted by Texpat A wise old TD poster once said, "Thais respect one thing. It ain't age or wisdom -- it's not enlightenment or servitude either. Not the almighty nor the crown. Money is the only thing in the Kingdom that gains respect." No truer words than those.
    Sounds like the kind of thing people say if they fail to gain peoples respect. Try looking a little closer to home guys.

Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •