Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 72 of 72
  1. #51
    I Amn't In Jail PlanK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Location
    Tezza's Balcony
    Posts
    6,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Yep. Another big factor is genes. Look at mom and dad at 60. Chances are you will follow in their footsteps re physical condition and longivity no matter what you do.
    Epigenetics is the new thing. The idea that different genes get expressed depending on your environment. Consider also if your mum & dad looked after themselves.


    -a33v2vv_700b-jpg

  2. #52
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Posts
    18,420
    Give up smoking, and after 10 years it’s as if you never did. Cut down on drinking and your liver can spend more time doing all its other work that enriches your life rather spending it getting rid of the poison of alcohol. If you don’t use it, you lose it and that’s never truer when it comes to muscle atrophy - keep exercising meaningfully every day.
    And stay away from fucking idiots, blue collar oiks, barflies and the Welsh, life is too short to put up with fuckwittery.
    And rather than spending time reinforcing bigotry and prejudices by reading and following rhetoric from doctrinal cvunts, try broadening one’s knowledge base by researching facts and developing new ideas.
    Friends are of course of doubtful worth, most are merely enemies in disguise so keep at arms length.
    And eat less carbs but more protein.
    But if both parents died early of circulatory problems, cancer and diabetes, just fuck it all and rely on instinct and hunger.

  3. #53
    Thailand Expat DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,982
    “Friends are of course of doubtful worth, most are merely enemies in disguise so keep at arms length.”

    no wonder you are such a miserable, lonely cvnt!

  4. #54
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Posts
    18,420
    Miserable? Don’t be silly Monkey Boy, I have my schadenfreude to keep me warm.

  5. #55
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    22-11-2023 @ 10:46 AM
    Posts
    16
    Keith Richards is almost 80 the last I checked. If anybody should be dead 10 times over from living an unhealthy lifestyle, it is he. So it's never too late to start taking care of yourself. The objective isn't necessarily to extend your lifespan (that's written in the stars or at least your genes mostly) but to be as healthy as possible during your senior years. It doesn't take that much -- a 30 minute swim in the pool in the morning, plenty of sunshine, a balanced diet, limits on alcohol consumption. plenty of sleep, taking steps to manage stress, 30 minutes of aerobic exercise in the afternoon. You're still going to die but the objective is to avoid surgical and pharmaceutical interventions as much as possible.

  6. #56
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    31-12-2023 @ 08:48 AM
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Disorderly View Post
    So out of curiosity ( being nosey ) during our conversations I brought up the subject of food and drink along with exercising , and if any of them paid attention to their diets along with , did they do any daily physical exercising .
    67 here, I try to do 50Km cycling a week just to keep my bone density up.
    My diet doesn't seem to matter as I tend to lose weight if I don't eat lots of junk food (normal weight 75Kg and 6' tall).

    Got smashed by a hit and run on my m/c 5 weeks back, so unfortunately I can't exercise again until all the broken bones mend.
    But without exercise, I'd probably have been killed.

  7. #57
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    33,228
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWilly View Post
    “Friends are of course of doubtful worth, most are merely enemies in disguise so keep at arms length.”

    no wonder you are such a miserable, lonely cvnt!
    That one seems to get a bite every time.

  8. #58
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    31-12-2023 @ 08:48 AM
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine superman View Post
    I'm 81 and gave up smoking 10 years ago. I really don't think I could enjoy lighting up again and start the coughing and wheezing all over again.
    Smoke cannabis dude, no coughing or wheezing, you'll sleep better and all your swollen joints (and prostate) will shrink back to normal size!

  9. #59
    Making people dance. :-)
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Cebu
    Posts
    13,543
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlow View Post
    you'll sleep better
    Do you not sleep well without smoking weed?

  10. #60
    Newbie
    sunshine superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Online
    23-11-2023 @ 02:14 PM
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlow View Post
    Smoke cannabis dude, no coughing or wheezing, you'll sleep better and all your swollen joints (and prostate) will shrink back to normal size!
    You've never heard a dope smoker cough? I just don't need to inhale anything that can irritate my lungs.

  11. #61
    Newbie
    sunshine superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Online
    23-11-2023 @ 02:14 PM
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    Give up smoking, and after 10 years it’s as if you never did. Cut down on drinking and your liver can spend more time doing all its other work that enriches your life rather spending it getting rid of the poison of alcohol. If you don’t use it, you lose it and that’s never truer when it comes to muscle atrophy - keep exercising meaningfully every day.
    And stay away from fucking idiots, blue collar oiks, barflies and the Welsh, life is too short to put up with fuckwittery.
    And rather than spending time reinforcing bigotry and prejudices by reading and following rhetoric from doctrinal cvunts, try broadening one’s knowledge base by researching facts and developing new ideas.
    Friends are of course of doubtful worth, most are merely enemies in disguise so keep at arms length.
    And eat less carbs but more protein.
    But if both parents died early of circulatory problems, cancer and diabetes, just fuck it all and rely on instinct and hunger.
    Not sure there's no damage to your lungs after many years of smoking even if you have given up for 10 years. I have done exactly that and I know my lungs will never recover 100% from the damage smoking has caused.

  12. #62
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    31-12-2023 @ 08:48 AM
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine superman View Post
    You've never heard a dope smoker cough? I just don't need to inhale anything that can irritate my lungs.
    I certainly don't, but suspect the coughers are smoking cannabis mixed with tobacco (euro style).

  13. #63
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Posts
    18,420
    If you damaged your alveoli then sure, they aren’t reparable, but the cilia recover and restore the lungs ability to clean themselves reducing infections etc. After ten years your risk of developing lung cancer is halved according to statistics and after 15 years your risk of heart disease is similar to those who never smoked. Quitting smoking also stops progression of COPD.

    I’m a positive sort of guy.

  14. #64
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    33,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    I’m a positive sort of guy.
    Many around Pattaya are, doubtless.

  15. #65
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    25-02-2024 @ 12:21 AM
    Location
    Back in Farangland
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermain View Post
    Keith Richards is almost 80 the last I checked. If anybody should be dead 10 times over from living an unhealthy lifestyle, it is he. So it's never too late to start taking care of yourself. The objective isn't necessarily to extend your lifespan (that's written in the stars or at least your genes mostly) but to be as healthy as possible during your senior years. It doesn't take that much -- a 30 minute swim in the pool in the morning, plenty of sunshine, a balanced diet, limits on alcohol consumption. plenty of sleep, taking steps to manage stress, 30 minutes of aerobic exercise in the afternoon. You're still going to die but the objective is to avoid surgical and pharmaceutical interventions as much as possible.
    Our DNA isn't our destiny:

    Lifestyle and Disease Prevention: Your DNA Is Not Your Destiny (nutritionfacts.org)

    Your habits are likely to be increasing your health span and also your lifespan.

  16. #66
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Posts
    18,420
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Many around Pattaya are, doubtless.
    Are you still gloved up for your rice queen parties, Cyril?

  17. #67
    Thailand Expat DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    Miserable? Don’t be silly Monkey Boy, I have my schadenfreude to keep me warm.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    That one seems to get a bite every time.

    Like clockwork.

  18. #68
    Thailand Expat Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,206
    Quote Originally Posted by HISTONE H3 View Post
    "Could all those retired Expats actually be right . Should I follow their advice and put any thoughts about my diet or taking up exercising out of my mind and just follow the advice of eat , drink and be merry because it may be my last day on earth ."

    a. You can eat what you like, and this will never do you no harm.

    b. But if you want to live happy and live a long and full life, then you need to practice complete celibacy'.

    c. Where most guys go wrong is allowing their need for sex ruin their lives.

    d. If you are able to control yourself, meaning sexual control, you can probably add ten years to your life.

    e. There are just so many sad stories, which you have heard and read, which prove this point.

    Celibacy is definitely the way to go.

    The only question is...

    Can you abide by a vow of complete chastity.

    Basically, it's mind over matter.

    You can do it if you will.


    One more thing: Every time I was married, I envied those who were single. And now that I am single, I do not envy, in the least, those who are married.

    Think about it...
    And you might tend to come around to my philosophy.
    Celibacy in a religious context also means no whacking off. Do you whack off ?

  19. #69
    A Cockless Wonder
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 AM
    Posts
    15,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermain View Post
    The objective isn't necessarily to extend your lifespan (that's written in the stars or at least your genes mostly) but to be as healthy as possible during your senior years.
    Quote Originally Posted by 39TG View Post
    Your habits are likely to be increasing your health span and also your lifespan.
    The new blokes on the block are on the money here.

    It's about healthspan more than lifespan. You want to maximise quality of older life by being independent and shortening the length of the slippery slope aged-care phase.

    Number 1 is exercise (Zone 2 for your fitness base and VO2 max for your pinnacle) and number 2 is nutrition (especially protein) according to the learned Dr Peter Attia MD in his fine book Outlive

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlow View Post
    67 here, I try to do 50Km cycling a week just to keep my bone density up.
    Try to do running as well, as cycling is suspended weight exercise (like swimming). You also need unsuspended exercise where you are holding up your own bodyweight, specifically to keep bone density up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    If you damaged your alveoli
    I got a new extra cushioned and sprung bicycle seat to try and avert any catastrophic injury.

  20. #70
    Thailand Expat Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,206
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlow View Post
    Smoke cannabis dude, no coughing or wheezing, you'll sleep better and all your swollen joints (and prostate) will shrink back to normal size!
    I swear the medicinal marijuana thing was just a ruse to get it legalized. Back in my ganga smoking phase , it made pain glow.

  21. #71
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2023
    Last Online
    02-02-2024 @ 10:04 PM
    Posts
    51
    "Friends are of course of doubtful worth, most are merely enemies in disguise so keep at arms length."

    I agree.
    I have five friends.
    I do not need six.

    I wish I did more reading.
    However, in recent years, my brain has altered to the extent that I no longer feel capable of reading fiction.
    Reading fiction requires suspension of disbelief....And I seem incapable of this, at this stage in my development.

  22. #72
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    12,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    my ganga smoking phase
    I'm sorry, I realise you meant ganja, it's just that it made me laugh. Simply because Ganga is the Hindu goddess of purification and forgiveness, which is diametrically opposite to smoking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •