Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,607

    Quick Population Control

    Full-Scale Nuclear War Could Kill 5 Billion People, Study Shows




    A mushroom cloud rises from the underwater atom bomb test 'Baker' in 1946. Photographer: Hulton Archive/Getty Images
    By Alex Millson (Bloomberg)
    August 15, 2022 at 10:00 PM GMT+7


    Five billion people would die in a modern nuclear war with the impact of a global famine -- triggered by sunlight-blocking soot in the atmosphere -- likely to far exceed the casualties caused by lethal blasts.

    Scientists at Rutgers University mapped out the effects of six possible nuclear conflict scenarios. A full-scale war between the US and Russia, the worst possible case, would wipe out more than half of humanity, they said in the study published in the journal Nature Food.

    The estimates were based on calculations of how much soot would enter the atmosphere from firestorms ignited by the detonation of nuclear weapons. Researchers used a climate forecasting tool supported by the National Center for Atmospheric Research, which allowed them to estimate productivity of major crops on a country-by-country basis.

    Even a relatively small-scale conflict would have devastating consequences for global food production. A localized battle between India and Pakistan would see crop yields decline by an estimated 7% within five years, the study suggested, while a US-Russia war would see production fall by 90% within three to four years.

    Researchers also considered whether utilizing crops currently used as animal feed or reducing food waste could offset losses in the immediate aftermath of the conflict, but concluded that savings would be minimal in larger-scale battles.

    The study comes after the specter of conflict between the US and Russia was raised following Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned in April that there was a “serious” risk of nuclear war breaking out.

    “The data tell us one thing,” said Alan Robock, the study’s co-auther and a professor of climate science in the Department of Environmental Sciences at Rutgers University. “We must prevent a nuclear war from ever happening.”






    Majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    32,628
    Enter . . . erroneously used quotes about/attributed to Malthus

  3. #3
    Chinese spy sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    38,694
    Surely worth it, to 'save', erm, Ukraine and Taiwan.

  4. #4
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,474
    What is happening with birthrates?

    Norway Down 6%
    Stockholm Down 14%
    Germany Down 12%
    Taiwan 27%
    Britain 9%
    Netherlands 11%

    Biggest quarterly collapse ever. But hey dat over population.

  5. #5
    Praise Jesus
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Cebu
    Posts
    7,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    What is happening with birthrates?
    Covid economics making couples hold off on starting a/increasing their family?

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat Airportwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    24-09-2022 @ 01:05 PM
    Location
    Flat Earth
    Posts
    3,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    What is happening with birthrates?

    Norway Down 6%
    Stockholm Down 14%
    Germany Down 12%
    Taiwan 27%
    Britain 9%
    Netherlands 11%

    Biggest quarterly collapse ever. But hey dat over population.
    NOTHING to do with the mrna shots that are now called Vaxxes, so dont even go there!

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    YourDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Council flat. Thanks suckers!
    Posts
    4,394
    Fortunately TC, you are almost at the end of our life span. People who have kids are the one who should be worried.

    Anyhoo, not on the NWO agenda. They need working peasants to serve the elite. in the aftermath they the elites would just be killing each other.

    Source: Alex Jones

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Location
    Sanur
    Posts
    7,026
    Birth rates will continue to decline, as education improves in populous poor countries.

    The nuclear option is a fearsome conclusion, even for nut jobs like Trump and Putin.

  9. #9
    Good bye, so long..

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,201
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Surely worth it, to 'save', erm, Ukraine and Taiwan.
    Indeed. It is horrifying to think of the effects of a nuclear war. With nutjobs like Trump and Putin you just never know what may happen.

  10. #10
    Chinese spy sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    38,694
    Not to mention senile Joe, and his out of control State dept. What disasters.

  11. #11
    Good bye, so long..

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,201
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Not to mention senile Joe, and his out of control State dept. What disasters.
    Can we put all of those disasters in one room and bomb that place? lol

  12. #12
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Birth rates will continue to decline, as education improves in populous poor countries.

    The nuclear option is a fearsome conclusion, even for nut jobs like Trump and Putin.
    Whoosh.

    Double digit quarterly declines have fuck all to do with that trope. Moron.

    Must be a big spike in education in Taiwan , their birth rate is down 27%

  13. #13
    Chinese spy sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    38,694
    It seems the Filipinos and Nigerians are making up for the deficit.

  14. #14
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
    Covid economics making couples hold off on starting a/increasing their family?
    Yeah. Way less raw dogging going on. Raw dogging carries a huge financial penalty these days

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    5,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Yeah. Way less raw dogging going on. Raw dogging carries a huge financial penalty these days
    “Raw dogging” - I had to Google that one. Another new phrase I’ve learned.
    TD is wonderful

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    katie23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PI
    Posts
    5,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Whoosh.

    Double digit quarterly declines have fuck all to do with that trope. Moron.

    Must be a big spike in education in Taiwan , their birth rate is down 27%
    Have you been to Taiwan? I've been there 3x and have had long chats with locals (professionals). They said that people there are having fewer children or having children later in life, partly due to cost of living. It's very expensive to buy a house/ apartment in the major cities. Some schools in the provinces are closing due to lack of students. This was pre-covid.

    Same case for Japan & Korea - they also have declining birth rates. I've a friend who's a professor in Korea - she said even universities are worried abput enrollment rates for the next few decades. Depression and suicide rates are also high in S. Korea and Japan.

    I haven't been to Japan but the situation there re: birth rates, schools closing in the provinces is well documented. The work culture in Japan for "salarymen" is also not conducive for family life or parenthood.

    Declining birth rates in developed countries or post-industrial societies is common.

    Birth rates are still high in developing countries like PH, Indonesia, India, etc so yes, the planet is still overpopulated with humans. India is projected to surpass China as the most populous country in a few years. We're near 8B now - projected to reach 8B on 15 Nov 2022, accdg to Worldometer.
    Last edited by katie23; 17-08-2022 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake - it bothered me

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Location
    Sanur
    Posts
    7,026
    Quote Originally Posted by katie23 View Post
    Have you been to Taiwan? I've been there 3x and have had long chats with locals (professionals). They said that people there are having fewer children or having children later in life, partly due to cost of living. It's very expensive to buy a house/ apartment in the major cities. Some schools in the provinces are closing due to lack of students. This was pre-covid.

    Same case for Japan & Korea - they also have declining birth rates. I've a friend who's a professor in Korea - she said even universities are worried abput enrollment rates for the next few decades. Depression and suicide rates are also high in S. Korea and Japan.

    I haven't been to Japan but the situation there re: birth rates, schools closing in the provinces is well documented. The work culture in Japan for "salarymen" is also not conducive for family life or parenthood.

    Declining birth rates in developed countries or post-industrial societies is common.

    Birth rates are still high in developing countries like PH, Indonesia, India, etc so yes, the planet is still overpopulated with humans. India is projected to surpass China as the most populous country in a few years. We're near 8B now - projected to reach 8B on 15 Nov 2022, accdg to Worldometer.
    You may have seen and understood this Katy, but I doubt very much if backspin has the brain cells required to grasp it
    Put simply, better education and family planning will cause the population to balance more effectively in the future.
    Excuse the simple format. That is for backspins benefit.

    Hans Rosling: Global population growth, box by box | TED Talk

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Location
    Sanur
    Posts
    7,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Whoosh.

    Double digit quarterly declines have fuck all to do with that trope. Moron.

    Must be a big spike in education in Taiwan , their birth rate is down 27%
    Hahaha you have the temerity to whoosh me and call me a moron?

    Try again numb nuts.

    Hans Rosling: Global population growth, box by box | TED Talk

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    katie23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PI
    Posts
    5,672
    @Switch - yes, I agree with you. As individuals (and the population) gets more educated, then they practice family planning with the intention to provide better lives for their kids.

    Case in point: my parents. Both my parents came from poor, rural communities. My grandpsrents (both sides) weren't highly educated - probably finished elementary school only, if they finished at all. Both sets of grandparents produced large families - around 8 or 10 kids each, some of whom didn't survive to adulthood. Medicines were scarce then and there were no doctors in their rural hometowns.

    For the generation of my parents - boomer generation (and those who were college graduates), many of them produced 2 to 4 kids. Then in my generation, most produce 1 to 3 kids only.

    Re: PH population, it's reported to have decreasing birth rate (at last!) for 2021 & 2022. Some factors cited were the economic hardships brought by the pandemic. Probably also due to social distancing - in the 1st year of the pandemic, lockdowns were severe here & teenagers couldn't go out to see their BF/GF, so fewer teen pregnancies.

    The Philippines is finally recording low birth rates

    Re: Backspin, he's an expert in googling and jumps to conclusions immediately. Googling is fine but one mustn't exclude the experience/ opinions of locals or people who have travelled and interacted with locals.

    Edit:
    @switch - thanks for the TED talk link. I liked his use of the Ikea boxes.
    Last edited by katie23; 17-08-2022 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Included news link

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Location
    Sanur
    Posts
    7,026
    There is of course a religious aspect to family planning, but think that is perhaps being undermined by more pragmatic financial concerns.
    Certainly inroads are being made in poorer areas of India and Bangladesh for example. Transpose that to Africa and parts of Asia, even without the Chinese one child policy.

    China has since rescinded the more draconian policy but I do hope family planning takes off there and in Africa and poorer parts of South America.

    China and Japan May think that population growth serves theireconomy for the future. Without some form of intervention, the planet will no longer support the aspirations of youth.

    Self centered dummies like backspin might have to learn the hard way.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,607
    ...in a conversation with an Egyptian colleague while working in the Gulf, I congratulated him on the arrival of his 7th child. When I asked how large a family he wanted, he declared that only Allah could determine how many children he'd eventually have...and that Allah would certainly provide for them...probably a common attitude in countries where children are seen as wealth...

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Location
    Sanur
    Posts
    7,026
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    ...in a conversation with an Egyptian colleague while working in the Gulf, I congratulated him on the arrival of his 7th child. When I asked how large a family he wanted, he declared that only Allah could determine how many children he'd eventually have...and that Allah would certainly provide for them...probably a common attitude in countries where children are seen as wealth...
    In third world countries, children are seen as an insurance policy. When religious propaganda is allowed to prevail, the progeny tend to suffer in one form or another.

  23. #23
    Member
    Ravers98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    325
    What is happening with birthrates?

    Norway Down 6%
    Stockholm Down 14%
    Germany Down 12%
    Taiwan 27%
    Britain 9%
    Netherlands 11%
    Question, why does Backspin think Stockholm is a country?

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Location
    Sanur
    Posts
    7,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravers98 View Post
    Question, why does Backspin think Stockholm is a country?
    It is expected of him. Stupidity is his hallmark.

  25. #25
    .
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravers98 View Post
    Question, why does Backspin think Stockholm is a country?
    It's just something else he has copied and pasted from the Twittersphere.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterSwed...52290413613057

    Backspin is thick. He doesn't understand much of what he reads and he doesn't know how to question what he reads.

    It's the Backspin Syndrome - BS for short. Just remember those initials when you see his posts and don't expect too much sense from him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •