Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Concorde

  1. #1
    Isle of discombobulation Joe 90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mai Arse
    Posts
    6,182

    Concorde

    Did anyone on here experience the hospitality and sonic boom of Concorde??

    Has anyone ever stepped foot inside the plane and if so what did you think?


    1350mph
    About Concorde

    With a take off speed of 220 knots (250mph) and a cruising speed of 1350mph more than twice the speed of sound - a typical London to New York crossing would take a little less than three and a half hours as opposed to about eight hours for a subsonic flight.

    Nearly two decades since the last supersonic passenger flight, of the British-French airliner Concorde, took off, the planes are set to return to the runways by 2029.
    Shalom

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:38 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,893
    Have not, In my time it was not something I could afford. Certainly a technological achievement, and a point of national pride for the British and the French, but I am afraid one reserved for the wealthy.
    I am sure there is still a market for it, but there are physical and economic limitation to supersonic commercial transportation . I think the future is in Sub-orbital flight.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

  3. #3
    Isle of discombobulation Joe 90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mai Arse
    Posts
    6,182
    Was fortunate and cheeky enough to blag my way on to a concorde today..

    Concorde-20220502_161618-jpg


    Concorde-20220502_161629-jpg

    Check out those 4 rolls Royce engines, boom!
    Concorde-20220502_161842-jpg


    No plastic cutlery and plates back in those days ..
    Concorde-20220502_171106-jpg


    Plenty of leg room too..
    Concorde-20220502_170719-jpg



    How much to fly from London to New York in 3 1/2 hours nowadays in luxury and comparison????

    Concorde-20220502_224625-jpg


    2/5/10/20 thousand pounds??

  4. #4
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe 90 View Post
    Did anyone on here experience the hospitality and sonic boom of Concorde??

    Has anyone ever stepped foot inside the plane and if so what did you think?


    1350mph
    About Concorde

    With a take off speed of 220 knots (250mph) and a cruising speed of 1350mph more than twice the speed of sound - a typical London to New York crossing would take a little less than three and a half hours as opposed to about eight hours for a subsonic flight.

    Nearly two decades since the last supersonic passenger flight, of the British-French airliner Concorde, took off, the planes are set to return to the runways by 2029.
    I went on a tour of the Concorde in new York. I had a Thai date with me. There is a trip report somewhere in this forum from it. Shite. I cant find the link. It cost me an extra $100 for an extended tour of the Concorde and i paid it. My date felt a big awkward that i was spending too much on her

    The seats inside were brand new because British Airways put new interiors in their Concordes after 2001.
    I took the US 75 days to take Fallujah and 267 days to take Mosul. Russia took Mariupol in 88 days.

  5. #5
    Member
    Happy As Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Posts
    966
    I flew it 3/4 times in the 90s. I think it was 3. Nice to fly it once, but it was nothing special imo.
    It had it's uses if flying London to New York as it made it possible to go there in back in a day.
    No obvious benefit when flying from New York.
    I'm glad it wasn't full when I flew.
    Seats and seat pitch small, no overhead space worth talking about. Much better in First Class
    Very expensive, although I used upgrades from First Class.
    They were selling speed and cachet and as I said not really a factor when departing New York, but had its uses out of London
    Newer plane much more comfortable

  6. #6
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy As Larry View Post
    I flew it 3/4 times in the 90s. I think it was 3. Nice to fly it once, but it was nothing special imo.
    It had it's uses if flying London to New York as it made it possible to go there in back in a day.
    No obvious benefit when flying from New York.
    I'm glad it wasn't full when I flew.
    Seats and seat pitch small, no overhead space worth talking about. Much better in First Class
    Very expensive, although I used upgrades from First Class.
    They were selling speed and cachet and as I said not really a factor when departing New York, but had its uses out of London
    Newer plane much more comfortable
    Literal time traveling = nothing special

    It doesn't have to be as comfortable. Because it takes less time.

  7. #7
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,837
    What color was the seats Chitty ? Grey ? Maybe that one didn't get the update at the time

    This is the interior in the one I was in


  8. #8
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Location
    The Kingdom of Lanna
    Posts
    12,492
    Start at 7:30


  9. #9
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    27,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Literal time traveling
    Nope.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    malmomike77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,914
    ^^ thnx VN, the lightenings were a cracking bit of Brit rngineering.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    10,734
    I thought there was only one class in concorde.

    I watched it fly out of Filton, heard the sonic booms in Cornwall, heard it take-off over my house when I lived in London, but never flew in it. I didn't even manage to get a ride in the sim.
    I won't be flying in the US built ones and hope they suffer from the same route bans. Fancy reviving the tech they managed to kill...

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:38 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,893
    3.5 hours as opposed to about 8 , is a significant about 4.5 hour savings, at $12,000 for a ticket it represents $1500 per hour Who among us does not value their time at more than $1,500 per hour? I know I wont get out of bed for any less than that.

  13. #13
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    27,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I thought there was only one class in Concorde.
    That's correct.

    There was a big fuss when I was a kid about it landing at Elmdon Airport and therefore flying over our house.

    I didn't really get what the fuss was when I was 9, and still don't.

  14. #14
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,837
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Nope.
    When you travel from east to west, you travel to earlier time zones. Each time zone is 1 hour. Because the Concorde travels faster than the rotating earth, 1300 mph vs 900 mph, which spins from west to east, it gains on the sun, so to speak. So it can land in New York with the sun in an earlier phase in the sky there, than the sun was in the London sky when it took off in London.

    Flying Westwards at Mach 2, for example LHR-JFK, it departs from LHR at 10:30 am, getting to JFK at 09:20 am.
    you do gain 1 hr 10 mins.

  15. #15
    Chinese spy sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:27 PM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    37,929
    It was just great to watch it take off from LHR, from the side road where you pick up the rental cars, the incoming HK flights landed about that time. Always wanted to, never did. Those that did said, yeh nice- but not all that special really. But you were treated like gold- special lounge, all that. Sigh.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    malmomike77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,914
    British Airways is a shadow of its former self.

  17. #17
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,837
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    That's correct.

    There was a big fuss when I was a kid about it landing at Elmdon Airport and therefore flying over our house.

    I didn't really get what the fuss was when I was 9, and still don't.
    Maybe you were into flowers or something as a kid and not airplanes

  18. #18
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    27,297
    Were you into ladyboys back then, or was that later?

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Ukan Kizmiaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Posts
    1,195
    never flew - but was sitting in the queue to take off at LHR and sudden roar and vibratiuons - WTF - it was conorde taking off in front of us.
    I was surprised how small it was and how big the sound was.

  20. #20
    Member
    Happy As Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I thought there was only one class in concorde.
    On British Airways yes, but Air France flew Concorde with a 2 class configurtion

  21. #21
    Member
    Happy As Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post

    I didn't really get what the fuss was when I was 9, and still don't.
    Neither did I. I preferred First Class on a 747.

    However an old colleague of mine was enthralled by Concorde. He flew Concorde many times before the 80s.
    He used to keep the little menu cards as a memento.
    We are all different.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy As Larry View Post
    On British Airways yes, but Air France flew Concorde with a 2 class configurtion
    Can you check that Larry? In 1985 I had a small travel agency in San Francisco. 400 bay area agents were allowed to tour the plane, and then 100 were selected to fly a 1.5 hour flight to nowhere. I did not win. But toured the craft. It was an AF Concorde and for sure it was only one class. All seats identical. I remember being told all Concordes were one class only due to size and weight limitations.

    You are very lucky to have flown, my one aviation dream I could not accomplish.

  23. #23
    Member
    Happy As Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Posts
    966
    ^ It might well be my memory playing tricks, but I was fairly certain at the time as I remember being surprised on hearing/reading this.
    It might even have been for a short period.
    I never flew AF Concorde so for now I will say that there was only 1 class on both BA and AF although I'm not quite 100% convinced that was the case for AF.
    I can offer nothing but my memory in rebuttal

  24. #24
    Member
    BLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:53 PM
    Location
    Perh/laos
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    3.5 hours as opposed to about 8 , is a significant about 4.5 hour savings, at $12,000 for a ticket it represents $1500 per hour Who among us does not value their time at more than $1,500 per hour? I know I wont get out of bed for any less than that.
    Ha ha yep. I won't get out of bed these days for anything less than 1500 BAHT . And still they want to haggle.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    10,734
    AF concorde only had 1 class as well. All seats were considered first class. No difference in seat pitch or customer service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •