Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 101
  1. #51
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    73,643
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Since when has brum been northern? It's at the geographical centre of England. Considerably less of a shithole than London too, imho. But still a bit of a shithole.
    You stupid boy. Anything north of Watford Gap is populated by northern monkeys. It is a scientifically proven fact.

  2. #52
    Neo Cameralist Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    4,093
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
    South Korea, Brunei, Stoke-on-Trent
    Another vote for south Korea. Interesting

  3. #53
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,778
    New York City
    Which is funny because for many people is the best and are killing themselves to get there.
    I grew up in Whitestone Queens and after marriage moved about 1 hour north of the city.
    For sure NYC has certain things that people like, The theater, Museums, Nightclubs , etc. but after I got married and had a family , all these thing became a distant memory, sure we infrequently took advantage of these things, but not frequently enough to justify the negatives.
    For me it was just long commutes, brutal winters, and expensive everything, Sure I made more money in NYC , but I spend more, A lot more, just to give you an example, the toll of the GW bridge was $16 and to park in Manhattan was $22 . My property tax was close to a Thousand dollars a month.
    So when my Daughter was born I moved the family to Florida , and for 20 years I had the longest commute in the world.
    I just retired Last year, and if I never see NY again it would be too soon.
    Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; 22-01-2021 at 10:13 PM.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

  4. #54
    Chinese spy
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    32,997
    You stupid boy. Anything north of Watford Gap is populated by northern monkeys. It is a scientifically proven fact.
    Oh, right- so that's why they call it the Midlands then. Gotcha. Comprehensive schools in council estates have got no better, obviously.

  5. #55
    Neo Cameralist Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    4,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    New York City
    Which is funny because for many people is the best and are killing themselves to get there.
    I grew up in Whitestone Queens and after marriage moved about 1 hour north of the city.
    For sure NYC has certain things that people like, The theater, Museums, Nightclubs , etc. but after I got married and had a family , all these thing became a distant memory, sure we infrequently took advantage of these things, but not frequently enough to justify the negatives.
    For me it was just long commutes, brutal winters, and expensive everything, Sure I made more money in NYC , but I spend more, A lot more, just to give you an example, the toll of the GW bridge was $16 and to park in Manhattan was $22 . My property tax was close to a Thousand dollars a month.
    So when my Daughter was born I moved the family to Florida , and for 20 years I had the longest commute in the world.
    I just retired Last year, and if I never see NY it would be too soon.
    I was all hyped about going to NYC in 2012. I did a trip report here on TD. I found it to be rather dry. It wasn't even that late and everything was closed. It was Sunday night I guess.But in Vancouver , it's hard to distinguish a Saturday from a Sunday

    The best part about NY was little Italy

    Vancouver is much more lively than NY

  6. #56
    Chinese spy
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    32,997
    The thing is about these big world cities is that, for most average people anyway, they are pretty shit to live in really. Gruelling daily commutes, traffic & congestion, stratospheric property prices, and all round expensive. Not much quality of life really. Oh but, they will tell you, we've got the Guggenheim/ Tower of London/ Louvre etc etc. Oh yeh- so how often do you go there then? I was gobsmacked, back in the 80's, to find out most actual Londoners I met in London had never visited the Tower of London! Been past it, that was all. That was a long time ago, when you could still meet actual Londoners in central London. You still can I suppose, but you have to pay their cab fare- and that's expensive too.

  7. #57
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    73,643
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    The thing is about these big world cities is that, for most average people anyway, they are pretty shit to live in really. Gruelling daily commutes, traffic & congestion, stratospheric property prices, and all round expensive. Not much quality of life really. Oh but, they will tell you, we've got the Guggenheim/ Tower of London/ Louvre etc etc. Oh yeh- so how often do you go there then? I was gobsmacked, back in the 80's, to find out most actual Londoners I met in London had never visited the Tower of London! Been past it, that was all. That was a long time ago, when you could still meet actual Londoners in central London. You still can I suppose, but you have to pay their cab fare- and that's expensive too.

    Seems to be a thing wherever you go. Most people in the UK have done the Tower of London or the Museums on a school trip, but as an adult they don't bother.

    When I did a tour of the museums and war sites in Hanoi, my driver hadn't been to any of them since he was a kid. He really enjoyed the day out, said he didn't really appreciate them as a child.

  8. #58
    Nine
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Posts
    5,649
    When I was back in England during the summer I loved it. Did quite a bit of tourist stuff, as well as getting out into the countryside, and I really looked forward to it every weekend.

    You never appreciate what you have on your doorstep. Seeing your own country through the eyes of a tourist makes a big difference.

  9. #59
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Location
    The Kingdom of Lanna
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Seems to be a thing wherever you go. Most people in the UK have done the Tower of London or the Museums on a school trip, but as an adult they don't bother.
    Same, same but different. Most residents of BKK probably haven't been to the Royal Thai Airforce Museum?

    Edit: So wotth a visit, it will eventually have its own BTS station.
    Last edited by VocalNeal; 23-01-2021 at 08:53 AM.

  10. #60
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Posts
    151
    The worst place in the world is wherever you are when you are lonely or have a broken heart. For me, it's that simple.

  11. #61
    Chinese spy
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    32,997
    Well, you're certainly not alone in a Calcutta slum!

    You never appreciate what you have on your doorstep.
    True that. Maybe there is a silver lining to this covid thing. Deprived of international, even interstate travel until recently, many aussies are doing exactly that- going locavore, getting to know their own back yard finally. Me too. The prices of campervans have been shooting up here, for that reason. And there is much of interest- really, there is.

  12. #62
    Thailand Expat
    Simon43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Location
    Luang Prabang
    Posts
    3,088
    I once got marooned in Scunthorpe on an old rust-bucket ship in the docks that I was helping to refit to be an offshore pirate radio station. Worst 3 months of my life, (well, the ship work was OK, but meeting the locals was like discovering another species...)

  13. #63
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal View Post
    Same, same but different. Most residents of BKK probably haven't been to the Royal Thai Airforce Museum?
    I must admit , I have never been to the "Royal Thai Airforce Museum " but over the years I have been to most places worth seeing, now the only reason I will go into Bangkok is if I have visitors from abroad and want to show then around', Otherwise if I didn't have to fly there to catch my connecting flight to KKC I would never see Bangkok again.

  14. #64
    Chinese spy
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    32,997
    ^^ Scungethorpe and Grimsby- the names alone warn the wise away from north Lincolnshire.

  15. #65
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,589
    Quote Originally Posted by TTraveler View Post
    The worst place in the world is wherever you are when you are lonely or have a broken heart. For me, it's that simple.
    Oh ffs.

  16. #66
    Thailand Expat armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    3,369
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Any of those depressing, crime-ridden northern english cities full of poorly educated monkeys that make unintelligible attempts at the Queen's English. Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool.
    Hull was grim but there was something about it that I liked. Once you'd worked out which bars to avoid.

  17. #67
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,595
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Deprived of international, even interstate travel until recently, many aussies are doing exactly that- going locavore, getting to know their own back yard finally. Me too. The prices of campervans have been shooting up here, for that reason. And there is much of interest- really, there is.
    Turns out crazy Terry was on to something and far ahead of his time..

  18. #68
    Chinese spy
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    32,997
    Ouch.

  19. #69
    Member
    Joe 90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    910
    Old Trafford, Lusaka and South of Watford.

  20. #70
    Nine
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Posts
    5,649
    Maine Road, Joe's house, and Joe's local when it's time for him to get a round in.

  21. #71
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Posts
    29,248
    Slough, Beijing, Santiago, Johannesburg, Jakarta, Bangkok and Manila I dislike.

  22. #72
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:04 AM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,897
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Well, you're certainly not alone in a Calcutta slum!



    True that. Maybe there is a silver lining to this covid thing. Deprived of international, even interstate travel until recently, many aussies are doing exactly that- going locavore, getting to know their own back yard finally. Me too. The prices of campervans have been shooting up here, for that reason. And there is much of interest- really, there is.
    Absolutely. Im taking the family on a roadie tomorrow for a few days. Perth to Kalbarri. Cant go overseas so might as well show the wife and kids some of west oz.

  23. #73
    Thailand Expat
    katie23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PI
    Posts
    4,882
    ^are you gonna be a vanlife YouTuber, BLD?

    Just imagine if Terry had his own vanlife channel. I think that would be a hoot! (I wonder if he's upgraded his rig)

    @Loytoy - I don't blame you for disliking Manila. I don't like it either, and only go there for necessities.

    re: Seoul, SK - I also didn't like it much, but my frame of mind at that time was also a factor. You could be in the most wonderful place but if you feel empty inside, you don't appreciate the beauty.
    Last edited by katie23; 24-01-2021 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added Seoul

  24. #74
    Thailand Expat
    Mandaloopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Location
    ᠮᠣᠩᠭᠣᠯ ᠤᠯᠤᠰ
    Posts
    2,717
    I kinda like Hull, but Grimsby is...well...grim. I can't say I really cared that much for Callais, just a bit of a bleak place.

  25. #75
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Location
    The Kingdom of Lanna
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    Hull was grim
    That would be GRIMsby. It is in the name.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •